Fountain Valley, CA

Posted March 10, 2015
Courreges is a wonderful school! It is evident that the school has made tremendous progress over the last couple of years because my experience with the teachers and administration has been outstanding. The teachers, support staff, and principal are truly dedicated to the students and the overall positive spirit of the school. Each Friday, the schools holds a special Friday Flag Salute where they honor a "Student of the Week" from each class, as well as celebrate student birthdays. The PTA is heavily involved in raising funds for field trips, assemblies, special programs, and extra money for classroom enhancements. Courreges also has an abundance of technology (iPads and Chromebooks) to support classroom learning. My family is thrilled with Courreges and we would highly recommend this school to anyone.

Posted May 04, 2014
I agree with previous statement! My son's 5th grade teacher has made every effort to avoid any communication with me; out of fear of demanding her to do her job! My son's resource teacher mrs. Gauldin has been more invested in my son's education plan than anyone else on campus.

Posted June 21, 2013
This school is going downhill quickly. They higher people that are not good at their jobs. The children are smarter than the people teaching them. Some of the teachers here don't care about teaching at all, it's just an easy paycheck and a stepping stone to something else. The awards that these terrible teachers get are a joke.

Courreges (Roch) Elementary School 4

Posted April 24, 2013
My son has been attending school here since K, and is now in 3rd grade. The secretary is very rude and makes people feel that she is doing them a favor by addressing their requests. Being friendly is not part of her job description. The rest of the staff, including the principal Mr. Christensen, are wonderful, and try to address students' needs and parents' requests. I don't understand why Fountain Valley only provides GATE classes starting in 4th grade? The teachers are already trained and it shouldn't cost the district any extra money to provide a challenging curriculum for advanced students.Good school; expect that you will need to be VERY INVOLVED with your child's education. Most teachers (Belsito, Ostovarpour, Melcer, Workman) expect parents to either read daily with their kids, volunteer, and/or sign off daily on homework. You should of course also practice time tables and spelling words daily. If you expect the teacher to do all the teaching, then don't send your child to this school.

Courreges (Roch) Elementary School 2

Posted July 08, 2012
My child is scheduled to start this September and I just want to say that, already, I have had 3 unacceptable incidents with the one of the office staff as well. She was demanding, rude and pleased that her office was closed twice before the time she stated (one of the days I left work early on purpose and arrived 15 minutes before I was told they would be). She seems to think she rules the roost. I wonder how aware the principal is of her behavior (he was not visibly present on the days I have been in)? Since we moved specifically to be in this district, I hope that this behavior improves. The atmosphere and impression of any institution is set on the image, impression and treatment given by the 'greeters'. Right now, I do not like how I have been treated so far and I had better not find out that my child is being spoken to/treated in that manner if she needs the services the SUPPORT STAFF are expected to provide.

Posted January 30, 2012
This is a fantastic school. My daughter has been in Courreges since kindergarten and is now in second grade. The quality of the teachers is phenomenal and that is reflected in the academic achievement of the children in this school. The classroom atmosphere is focused on studying and also on nurturing the individuality of each child. The teachers do a tremendous job of paying attention to every student in the classroom even if they have over 30 kids per class. The school has a great library, access to technology and teaching resources and because there are so many great parents who are willing to help, Courreges has thrived even in light of deep statewide budget cuts. My son is in a private pre-school and I cannot wait for him to go to Courreges next year. This school is much better than the private institutions and our children are very fortunate to have the opportunity to be a part of the Courreges family.

Courreges (Roch) Elementary School 4

Posted January 28, 2012
My child is finishing 2nd year. I agree the school can definitely benefit fr a nicer front staff. Maybe it's just her strong personality; after all, she is the 1st person you see before entering the school. My son will be going to Newland school for pre-K, the adm staff is sweet. The teachers, favoritism is absolutely present, for kids whom parents volunteer. I m a PTA member, a FT working parent, fr the bottom of my heart, I applause those parents who able/willing to help out in the classroom. Fr a couple of school events I attended, I can see that they genuinely care about the kids. I guess it s okay that their kids get a little more attention fr the teachers; however, kids are very smart, they can sense that. My daughter loves school and her teachers. I am happy. As for fund raiser, every shool has it. I participate as much as I can (more so since I can t donate my time in the class room). The school gets lots of $ from the Jog-a-thon. However, your child can t go in to the prize room if he/she does not meet a limit of $150. We managed to raise about $100 for the last 2 years, but it s hard to tell your child why she does not get to go to the prize room.

Posted January 27, 2012
I also had a terrible experience with this school. The front office staff is unbelievable! I was spoken to rudely on the phone and in person. How can a Principal allow this to happen? How are the teachers allowed to speak to our children when we're not there? I know of atleast 5 other parents who had the same experience. The kindergarten teachers seemed qualified but not too compassionate.

Posted December 08, 2011
My son has been going to this school since he started Kindergarten. I am amazed at the input I have read so I needed to voice what I have seen at this school. I do not work so am able to help in the classroom. I have been so pleased with all the involvement from other parents and he has always loved his teachers. I could not be more pleased with this school and feel so thankful that he is there. The negative input that is bringing this school down has nothing to do with the teaching quality of the teachers. This is a great school!!

Posted August 25, 2011
I submitted my child's application based on API scores, reviews & meeting the principal. Her knowledge & advice was amazing. However my child was an interdistrict transfer & my experience was awful. The district was helpful but when it came to the admin staff at this school they were rude & unfriendly. I spoke to a particular individual on numerous occasions & she was consistently rude. I gave her the benefit of the doubt that she was having a bad day... but no, the treatment she gave me was consistently disgusting. She kept telling me that they are full and unlikely that there would be space. At one point we had an offer on a home in the district. I called to check the availability, she didn't know who I was, but she knew I would be living near the school. Then she was super nice and said they have not turned a resident away. I was shocked that someone discriminated so easily. I couldn't take the chance not having a space so I registered my child in private school. She called me in August to say the school has space. It gave me great pleasure to tell her that I don't need the space & I am so relieved that I don't have to speak to her or see her everyday at school.
2 people found this helpful

Courreges (Roch) Elementary School
18313 Santa Carlotta, Fountain Valley, CA  92708
Last modified Courreges (Roch) Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Courreges (Roch) Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 32 reviews. Top