Bad
Good

Amount of homework: Neutral

Homework galore but teachers. Please be proactive if you have the passion to teach. Otherwise don't teach because you're doing more harm

Develops character: Neutral

I have seen mean kids. I am not sure if the rules are enforced since they are willing to take students outside of the district and overflowing the class. Most likely for money purposes

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

Only certain teachers are good. My 1st grade is very inexperienced and very hard to work with

Although my ratings can be change and I thought to myself... Oh my child will only stay in her classroom for one year. What harm will it do to her. It's only been a little over a month and it's been such a nightmare with her teacher. Based on my gut instinct looking up this teacher who was about to be my child's 1st grade, why didn't they hire someone who can actually teach. I have to deal with lack of communications and insults on a personal level. I did had a wonderful Kindergarden teacher for my child and I thought, did I lucked out as I was actually proud that my child goes there. I funded the PTO and gave as much donations as I could. I also have the Kindergarden teacher a nice gift as she was just as great to my child as much as FV Montesorri. Good luck to the parents who tries to work with certain teachers and good luck to those who tries to reach out to Mr. Ham for help when you're feeling hopeless. I honestly feel very disappointed. A message to Mr Ham. We do pay taxes for our children to attend here and it is up to us parents to further more fund to the school but do you even care? To other parents: please do your researches and also who will be your child's teacher. It can do a lot of damages. I spend 2 hours everyday after school for her homework and reading only to be insulted that my child is not doing her homework. Why won't the teacher check her daily online work? Does that even matter? Some teachers won't even get back to you because the truth is they won't care nor care to work with you. Is this how the public system works?

My son came to Cox in 1st grade. He has had wonderful teachers that have gone out of their way to insure his needs are met. Mr. Ham has had a big impact on my son, always greets him by name. I have always been able to have any questions answered by teachers or Mr. Ham. I am so pleased to have my son here and have another child starting next year.

Cox School has terrific teachers and programs. Each year the school offers after school intervention classes for the students. The principal is everywhere and teachers take great pride in the climate and culture of the school. I had 4 of my children successfully move on from Cox School. Cox Rocks!

Terrific activities and events held at this school. Multicultural Day, Jog A Thon, Sports Leagues for students, Science Week Camp for Upper Grade students. Students provided opportunities to become leaders at Cox. Big School with a big heart for students.

The principal Patrick Ham is very insensitive, he looks over your shoulders, he talks like if owns the school. He doesn't even remember the face of the name of the students, which shows little respect. He could have a meeting with parents and a week after he doesn't even recall having that meeting. He sounds auto-sufficient and careless. Conversely, I had a good experience with my kid second year teacher. Good look if your are looking for a transfer, that Mr. Ham will not extend his hands or show any interest in helping you. If you go to his office you better grab a chair a have a sit because he won't even bothers in inviting you to have sit, lack of courtesy.

We have two children at Cox since kindergarten; one just graduated 5th. Principal Ham stands at curbside in the morning and was involved with traffic flow improvements. Plays classical music in announcements. Assembled flag-football tournaments. Weekly voicemails about events and to provide hearty breakfast on test days. Speeches to kids on importance of becoming good people; tells student how proud he is and warns parents the perils of summer slide . Have witnessed him pull a brat aside and speaking to him like a good parent. Constantly moving around got his finger on the pulse. These are a examples how Principal Ham thinks outside of the box . No question that he goes beyond his responsibilities and if these qualities do not make him outstanding, I don t know what the benchmarks ought to be. Your problem child is not the sole responsibility of school administrators, teachers nor the state. Words are free, criticize away but as a parent, take some responsibility because there's good chance you will eventually run out of people to blame.

The Principal Patrick Ham is very much against thinking out of the box. If a child feels they need to be heard he ignorores them and encourages his Staff to do the same. Patrick Ham expects the parents to have the children enrolled at this school to be seen not heard. He insults Parents on a regular basis as too not making their children into the cookie cutter kids. If your child is expressive about their rights find a different school because you the parent will be called to the principals office on a regular basis. This principal has NO respect for working parents!!! Good luck if you are a single working Parent with a child that is to attend this school.

Last modified Cox (James H.) Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.