Fountain Valley, CA

Cox (James H.) Elementary School 2

Posted August 28, 2014
The principal Patrick Ham is very insensitive, he looks over your shoulders, he talks like if owns the school. He doesn't even remember the face of the name of the students, which shows little respect. He could have a meeting with parents and a week after he doesn't even recall having that meeting. He sounds auto-sufficient and careless. Conversely, I had a good experience with my kid second year teacher. Good look if your are looking for a transfer, that Mr. Ham will not extend his hands or show any interest in helping you. If you go to his office you better grab a chair a have a sit because he won't even bothers in inviting you to have sit, lack of courtesy.

Cox (James H.) Elementary School 4

Posted June 23, 2014
We have two children at Cox since kindergarten; one just graduated 5th. Principal Ham stands at curbside in the morning and was involved with traffic flow improvements. Plays classical music in announcements. Assembled flag-football tournaments. Weekly voicemails about events and to provide hearty breakfast on test days. Speeches to kids on importance of becoming good people; tells student how proud he is and warns parents the perils of summer slide . Have witnessed him pull a brat aside and speaking to him like a good parent. Constantly moving around got his finger on the pulse. These are a examples how Principal Ham thinks outside of the box . No question that he goes beyond his responsibilities and if these qualities do not make him outstanding, I don t know what the benchmarks ought to be. Your problem child is not the sole responsibility of school administrators, teachers nor the state. Words are free, criticize away but as a parent, take some responsibility because there's good chance you will eventually run out of people to blame.

Cox (James H.) Elementary School 2

Posted May 28, 2014
The Principal Patrick Ham is very much against thinking out of the box. If a child feels they need to be heard he ignorores them and encourages his Staff to do the same. Patrick Ham expects the parents to have the children enrolled at this school to be seen not heard. He insults Parents on a regular basis as too not making their children into the cookie cutter kids. If your child is expressive about their rights find a different school because you the parent will be called to the principals office on a regular basis. This principal has NO respect for working parents!!! Good luck if you are a single working Parent with a child that is to attend this school.

Posted November 08, 2013
Cookie cutter school looking for cookie cutter students. Quiet, wall flowers that don't ask questions, please apply.

Posted October 28, 2013
I have three children going to this school and we have had nothing but a positive experience. Mr. Ham (principal) is truly a caring individual and leader. Our son had some behavioral issues early on but we found that Mr. Ham communicated with us the issues at hand effectively without making us feel bad or embarassed and listened to all of our concerns with patience. Now our boy is well-adjusted and doing great. Very impressed by how he handles all the "small" and "big" issues at this school. Staff is great as well. Highly recommend!

Posted October 08, 2013
*** TRANSFERS BEWARE. This school accepts all transfer requests so that they have a full roster. They look excellent- on paper. Our family lives on the boundary between the GG and FV School District, but since our after school program was next to this school, we requested an intra district transfer. Yes, my son isn't an angel. He had a rough time transitioning to Kindergarten. However, our interactions quickly went south, when we requested a speech evaluation for our child. Within two weeks, the "caring" principal demanded a behavior contract for our child (which he had my son sign, without his parents being in attendance). I was amazed on how smoothly he rejected every single proposal I made; he had already made up his mind that he didn't want us attending this school. We emailed the superintendent to see if this was the correct procedure, and we were told that someone would get back to us. They didn't, and I doubt they ever will. Thanks Cox, for letting us know, early on what matters to you: your funding and your test scores. Our children's education- not so much.

Cox (James H.) Elementary School 4

Posted January 27, 2013
I have two children at this school and have to say how impressed I am with the principle. Mr. Ham is caring and concerned about every student!! I see him daily, visit every classroom to see how the children are progressing. He knows each child by name and shows a genuine interest in making sure they are all healthy, happy, and learning to their fullest ability. Mr. Ham communicates with parents when needed and just to say 'hi'. He is at all school functions (nights and weekends). Much more 'above and beyond' than many of the other schools my children have been at!

Posted August 30, 2010
My son transferred in the 4th grade and had Mr. Masterson and then Mrs. Faulke in 5th grade. TERRIFIC TEACHERS! Very organized, supportive and encouraging teachers. They knew our sons strengths and areas of improvement needed, and helped him personally grow and excel. The school trips were well organized and well presented! We'll miss Cox this year!

Posted April 02, 2010
My daughter is in Kindergarden. The teacher/aids are unorganized, lack of communication (no parents teachers reationships)...No passion in teaching...

Posted March 27, 2009
As a parent I am extremely happy and grateful with the teachers at this school. The teachers extend beyond their duties to make sure children have a great learning experience. My daughter recognizes how much she has learned and says her teachers are 'good teachers'.

Cox (James H.) Elementary School
17615 Los Jardines East, Fountain Valley, CA  92708
Last modified Cox (James H.) Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Cox (James H.) Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top