John F. Kennedy High School

Public | 9-12

Living in Fremont

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $353,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,740.

Posted April 14, 2014

My son is very happy and is studying well in Kennedy maintaining a GPA of 3.8 +.Initially I was skeptical about him adjusting given the fact he had been in private school since Elementary until Middle school.But now I am confident and very positive about the School.They have block system which prepares the kids for college, better elective choices thru MROP,great Baseball coaches , teaching staff so far are great .I have no complaints and wish the School continues with more competitive Programs for the kids in the near future, so that Kennedy is not down played.

Posted February 25, 2014

Walters Jr High - I am the first to admit what a posative experience this school has been for my son. I received mixed comments prior to my son attending for 7th grade. Now that he is at the end of his 8th grade yr; the experience has definately been a 100% turn around. Stay in communication w/your child, the teachers/principal and you will be surprised what a positive experience your child has at any school.

Posted January 15, 2014

Kennedy is the worst school is the area,its only rival is walters Jr.High. It's sad because there are some really good elementary schools in the area but by the time the kids get through JFK they are lost.I have a daughter at JFK and a son at walters and I actually feel bad that I cant move.These schools need to be smitted.If you have any hope of playing sports dont go here unless you like to get crushed every game. Your only win of the year will be against Mission.

Posted August 22, 2013

We love the block system! less stress on our kids with homework and more time in the class room to learn!!

Posted June 21, 2012

Kennedy has good opportunities for those who want to learn. There are plenty of AP classes to choose from.

Posted September 8, 2011

I am proud that my daughter is studying in this Great School, where she got Spanish AP 3.0 and now taking AP Biology and I met with Teachers they are so helpful and want to change the world. I wish every student a great success in life.

Posted May 9, 2011

I transferred to Kennedy in my Sophomore year from Homestead High in Cupertino. I graduated in 2004, so it's been awhile and my review is only for my time at Kennedy. Students here don't seem to care much about their future. Although I still graduated with an above 3.0 average, I know I could have done much better. I had a 4.0 GPA before I transferred here. I'm not saying everything is the school's fault, of course a lot of it has to do with myself. Like many teenagers, I didn't know any better. I only cared enough to get grades better than my friends. At my old school, everyone was competitive, it would look bad if I didn't get a 4.0. Believe it or not, my previous high school was MUCH harder than Kennedy. Students here just don't care. It brings down the environment of other students. As for the teachers, I didn't have many that were very authoritative. Like some of the other reviews said, the students ran the class rooms. By the way, there's a location across the street from the school where students openly smoked weed. I hope they have taken care of that problem, but for the 3 years I was there, nothing was done & I'm sure the school knew about it. It was hard to miss.

Posted February 25, 2011

I am a junior at Kennedy High School and have a 4.0 GPA. We accept every student for who they are. I highly disagree with any parent or student that thinks poorly of our school. The teachers here are very understanding and if we need help they're always willing to take their time to help us.

Posted January 9, 2011

You have to have been going to this school for a long time to think highly of it. I was the new kid and was by myself most the time at lunch and never talked to anyone in class because they seemed so snotty. The counselor that I had was really awkward. It just overall made me uncomfortable.

Posted June 26, 2010

I would like to see more involvement between the school/teachers and parents. I would also like to see the school doing more projects to help the community.

Posted May 4, 2010

I transferred to this school for my sophomore year, and then I went back to my old school. I learned virtually nothing here; the teachers were scared of the kids, and the kids KNEW it. The teachers sat back and let the kids run the room. Sure, it was fun, but I'll pay for it later when I have to go to college!

Posted April 9, 2010

I hate this school, it seems that they have some sort of idea to jump or pick on or make the new student feel un-wanted. If you were to put your child in this school dont put them in the middle of the year.

Posted March 10, 2010

It's not necessarily the teachers that are bad, it's the environment. You're surrounded by kids who generally don't care about their grades or about where they'll go after high school. And sports? We get last or next to last place in almost every single sport. I have friends in Walters, they do not want to play sports at Kennedy because most of our teams do not have winning records.

Posted February 15, 2010

I have to disagree with the parent that thinks Kennedy H S influenced in her son's thinking. I went to Kennedy in the 70's; graduated with 3.4 gpa. My sons graduated 1999,2000 also with a gpa above 3.0. Now my daughters are graduating this year with a gpa above 3.2 they all have been honors students, We all have participated in sports. Above all this. I just want to say that Kennedy is been a great school for my family and friends. Kennedy is a small school with a great diversity of choices that prepares you for College. You just have to get involved.

Posted January 2, 2010

Speaking for the many students living in this attendance area who transferred to Irvington, I can definitely say that this isn't the place to be if you can help it. I left after my freshman year and am currently a sophomore at Irvington.

Posted January 1, 2010

i have to disagree with the parent below me, 2 of my grandchildren graduated from kennedy and are playing college basketball and are getting 3.00 gpa in college my grandson is graduating this year, since my grandchildren have been there they have done sports up to there ears, both my granddaughters have been in leadership and its non stop SAT talk to prep the students and aslo they promoted shirts for STAR testing, i think you need to open up and get invovled a little to see how great this school is

Posted November 6, 2009

The school environment has influensed my son's thinking more or less. He was USA Swimming Champion. Since the time he moved to Fremont and enrolled Kennedy High, he stopped swimming, did very poorly in school. The school does not promote sport, SAT test, and STAR test. Couselor does not help students to select appropriate courses. I hope the best for my son.

Posted November 2, 2009

its the best we have no clicks not fights very spirted school.

Posted October 2, 2009

I love the diversity of Kennedy. It's not like many other schools where it's practically the same people wherever you look. Everyone can fit in with anyone. And the teachers are really awesome too.

Posted October 1, 2009

This is the best high school to have ever been established. Students get a premier academic education, but most importantly they grow up to be people. These students are not machines that simply recite memorized text book entries. The pupils of John F. Kennedy High School encounter normal problems and develop normal and casual social relationships with among others. Despite common misconceptions, the environment is incomparable to that of other schools. Kennedy has a very receptive atmosphere and there is a place for everyone, regardless of ones interests. I am here to affirm that this is a great high school that allows its students excellent opportunities for their future.

This school's

(2012)

5 / 10

3 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school did not meet its schoolwide API target for 2013.
  • This school has not yet met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

5 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

3 / 10

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 25% in 2013.

185 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 65% in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 58% in 2013.

87 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 38% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 62% in 2013.

346 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 45% in 2013.

157 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

The state average for Integrated/Coordinated Science I was 26% in 2013.

244 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 38% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 51% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

129 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

293 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

342 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

101 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

30 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

332 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

348 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

25 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

139 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

50 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

198 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

328 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

95 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

330 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

All Students18%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)61%
Parent education - college graduate66%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate76%
Parent education - declined to staten/a

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students36%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)40%
Parent education - college graduate62%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate68%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

347 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

345 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students82%

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 3%N/AN/A
Source: CRDC, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Nurse(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

Fax number
  • (510) 438-9287

Staff resources available to students
  • Nurse(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options