Mission San Jose High School

Public | 9-12 | 2212 students

Posted November 19, 2013

This school is average. I would rate it as a 7. Do not be fooled by high API scores. The high API scores are because of private tutoring, not because of the teachers. The students are very competitive and often not willing to help classmates.

Posted November 18, 2013

This is a very competitive school and the poor kids are competing against each other. Some teachers are good but others are quite unreasonable. The PE teacher, is quite unreasonable. Not sure what she expects out of these poor kids. Swimming in the cold winter months ( Oct/Nov) in the first period, in an outdoor pool is illogical...running miles each day and keeping up with the mile time so that it doesn't affect grades is also ridiculous. Each child tries really hard to do well and I think that the PE teachers should understand and applaud that rather than stressing them out all the more.

Posted August 29, 2013

I graduated from Mission in 1981. It was academically-oriented then too, balanced with a strong sports program and a number of outstanding athletes. Now, my son attends Mission & is a thriving junior - academically, socially and in sports. It's a much more competitive environment than 30 years ago (the demographics have changed dramatically in Fremont). Many parents work professionally in silicon valley, putting high value on a great education (strong STEM focus), and are willing to do whatever it takes to give their students an edge. Parents are very involved - pushing their kids to excellence academically, volunteering time, and donating to supplement funding for Mission. Overall, the experienced teachers are caring and dedicated. The administrative staff are excellent at what they do, and are responsive to students and parents. The school grounds have improved. There are even new buildings on campus. Mission has earned a reputation for being one of the best public high schools in the nation, being rated highly in several national publications. However, it could improve by emphasizing teamwork and collegiality among its very competitive student population.

Posted May 13, 2013

I attend MSJ, and from personal experience, this is definitely a competitive school. I am not saying I hate it or love it, but there really are students and teachers that are not willing to help you. However, I like the competitive vibe, but no matter how great you are, you can NEVER be the best at mission. The competitiveness I feel will help in the future, because this IS reality. Go to a different school, perhaps irvington, and you will be on top. The standards are so high here that taking 6 APs won't even put you on top. Everyone is extremely good at some kind of talent, and basically, without finding something to be dedicated to and having a strong academic background as well, it can be really hard to succeed and fit in. All the sports here are amazing as well, except maybe the football team... Just remember, if you are planning to attend, you will have to exceed all limits.

Posted December 23, 2012

Sending my kid to MSJ was the biggest mistake I have ever made. The academic success is the contribution of the students and their parents. My kid was there for two semesters. The teachers are very experiences. (probably spent 20 years at other schools to accumulate enough credits to transfer to MSJ.) Teachers spent half the time teaching. Half the time were given as in-class exercise. Unlike other families in this school district, we don't send our kid to SAT or other classes after school. My kid finished all homework in class and break time. If you have the money to find private tutors or after school classes and you don't expect anything from school teachers or school activities, MSJ the one for you. The kids in this school compete with each other hence unwilling to help other students. If you want your kid to be successful in the real working environment to be a team player or leader, you'd better move to irvington High or Cupertino City. Better facilities and culture. By the way, it is the most BUREAUCRATIC public organization I have ever dealt with. The clerk told me that I must return home to make appointment with their registrar while I was standing in office.

Posted July 16, 2011

This school is the best of the best. It's strong academic programs are not the only reason why many parents and children are drawn to this school; Mission also has a great athletics program in which almost all the sports teams have gone to NCS. Mission's homecoming is one of the best in the FUSD. Although it's true that some of the teachers are less than stellar, most of them are willing to put in the extra time to help students in need ( even in Honors classes). Overall a really good school that truly pays off in the end.

Posted June 2, 2011

MSJ is no doubt an extremely strong school, with 46 AIME qualifiers, 2 USABO Finalists, and 2 USNCO Finalists this year alone. The teachers are very educated and experienced: the faculty includes a number of Stanford and Berkeley alums, several doctorates, published authors, former lawyers, and even the son of the co-founder of Adobe. With a number of talented students and teachers, a higher standard is to be expected. Some might call it positive reinforcement. Smarter students lead to harder classes, which lead to more competition and even smarter students, which lead to even harder classes, and so on. The unhealthy level of competition means that some students will ultimately be unable to catch up with their peers and will fall behind, never to regain their original pace. The competition breeds occasional cheating and other unethical behavior as well. Still, MSJ is a good school for people who are passionate about academics. The overall atmosphere is safe and there is plenty of school spirit, especially during homecoming week. MSJ is also in the process of expanding its course offerings to include more AP and dual-enrollment classes with the local community college.

Posted May 31, 2011

I am a graduate of MSJ and with no doubt in my mind Mission San Jose High School has lived up to its reputation for known as a very competitive school. This school truly taught me to go beyond my studies. Of course, I was accepted into a prestigious university as my peers pressured me to. This school is full of arrogant and pretentious students. I was always upset and furious because I could never be the best and there would always be someone in my class that would surpass my grade. No matter how hard you try, there will always be someone in this school who will make you feel inferior. Of course, I was bullied at this school, but I did not let it weigh me down. But, that is just me and I am a very reconciling and calm person. I have seen many fights at this school, but what can I say, people will be people at this school. I made a pretty nice amount of friends and there was always someone to hang out with, but I felt that no one really understood the real me. Sorry to be cynical, but no one can really be trusted here. My favorite teacher was Mrs. Carroll because she really cared and her tests were so challenging, I expected no less from one of the hardest teachers on campus.

Posted March 25, 2011

Much ado about nothing. Moving 30 miles to get into this school was a huge mistake....

Posted January 2, 2010

I'm currently a junior at Mission, during what's supposed to be the most stressful year of my life. It's going much more quickly than I thought it would, and I don't feel particularly crushed by the workload. The students and staff are generally friendly, I can't say that I don't feel safe here, and--aside from our football--our athletic programs are stellar. We captured All-Sports last year, and I am looking forward to being a part of a MSJ boys volleyball team making it back to the NCS title game.

Posted November 5, 2009

Overall amazing. Academics. Sports. Drama. Music. <3

Posted October 28, 2009

We moved into the MSJHS school area in time for the high school. I have two children at MSJHS. Both are happy, made lots of friends, particpate in multiple clubs and still do very well in academics. We are happy that we have moved into this school area. Competition is part of life and as parents we need to teach our children how to manage time and stress to succeed in lifr.

Posted October 27, 2009

My daughter have just started attending MSJ this year. So far she likes all of the teachers, especially Japanese. As mentioned by other parents, facilities and grounds could be improved, but it is the education that matters more. There is somewhat more homework than in Junior High, but it is to be expected. Parents seems to be more involved than at other schools. Marching band is very large and well organized, even though the teacher there seems too tough on students at times. Students themselves focus on studying more than in other schools ( I know because my daugher has friends at other High Schools in Fremont), I do not feel there is peer pressure for a girl to dress or look in any particular way, as may be seen among teenagers at other schools. Overall, we really like

Posted October 19, 2009

We have fun while working hard, and our homecoming skits/airbands are the best in the area :)

Posted October 13, 2009

I'm a long-time parent in this district and I would never send my child to this school. If you are not the brightest of the bright and then do nothing but study, you can't possibly succeed here. There is not enough focus on being a diverse person, developing the whole person and accepting failure (or at least dealing with it). The only way to feel accepted at this school is to take 2-3 AP courses every semester. The kids themselves will shun anyone not performing at the top of the class. This creates a stressful environment on top of the already stressful life of a hormonal teenager trying to figure out who they are and what they want to do in life.

Posted September 29, 2009

I work for another school district but my kids went to this school. MSJ doesn't have exceptional teachers but the kids come from families that highly prize education which means that expectations are high. Facilities could be improved. Compare this to other schools with hugh truancy problems, no parental involvement and no fundraising ability, MSJ is exceptional. Unlike Lowell HS in SF, there is no admission exam. Well, you could consider winning admission is having parents able to pay high home prices just to send their kids here. The number of GATE identified students far exceeds the number you would expect statistically in the general population. Very tough competition but what do you expect?

Posted September 26, 2009

I'm a student currently enrolling at this school. I agree that this school is very hard not only in academics, but sports and etc. Not only do teachers give pressures, but mostly their parents. But I have to say this is the best school because all my 4 sisters have graduated from here and have a very successfull life because of it. So with all the pressures, academics, sports, it eventually pays off. =)

Posted September 18, 2009

This school maybe the hardest school around Bayarea. However, if anyone actually pay attention to study this school isn't as hard as it sounds. teachers are very experienced in teaching and most students willing to help out when there is problem.

Posted August 20, 2009

I went to MSJHS for 9th and 10th grades. I was miserable. The students were stuck up and there wasn't a lot of care from student to student. Teachers were busy pleasing parents and they were always worried about what parents thought. Academics are important but they aren't everything. I ended up going to Kennedy HS where I had a really good education in 10th and 11th grades and where I was comfortable everyday. I graduated from Kennedy HS where the teachers and students cared. I wish I had started there in 9th grade.

Posted January 12, 2009

I beg to differ. I go to MSJ and I have a 3.9 average GPA as a senior and am EXTREMELY involved in school activities. Wherever you go you're going to have the same problem if you don't put yourself out there or try hard enough. Competition is so overrated here, it's not even that big of a deal. Our school spirit is healthy which you don't see at any other school and we're anti-stereotypical. You can't be bullied for being a nerd, because everyone else is too. MSJ has a huge social life, you just have to get involved YOURSELF. That's life.

This school's
API score

951

Change from
2012 to 2013

API Statewide Rank
(2012)

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

10 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 25% in 2013.

63 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 65% in 2013.

80 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 58% in 2013.

535 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 38% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 62% in 2013.

567 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 45% in 2013.

418 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

The state average for Integrated/Coordinated Science I was 26% in 2013.

33 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 38% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 51% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

342 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

33 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

476 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

519 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

55 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

109 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

520 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

528 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

232 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

94 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

539 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

445 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

111 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

542 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

All Students51%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)78%
Parent education - college graduate95%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate97%
Parent education - declined to staten/a

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students96%

Parent education - high school graduate69%
Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)75%
Parent education - college graduate86%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

530 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

532 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students97%

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 4%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Nurse(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Special education / special needs

• Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Swimming pool
School leaders, update and verify information here.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

• French
  • Japanese
  • Spanish

• Nurse(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator