606 students|Fremont Unified

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

teachers are great, and recently the entire community helped a teacher when she was in need. It showed great care for each other.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

Same gripe as before - if a child is identified as gifted, s/he should receive more accelerated work and more challenge. This didn't happen for either of my kids, from any teacher.

Amount of homework: Disagree

Not Enough may not be the correct answer, but based on my earlier response, my children were both identified as gifted and the work assigned was never a challenge. Not Enough should read Not Challenging Enough.

Develops character: Strongly agree

As I'm sure everyone does, my children had a couple of not so great interactions with other kids. The administration was fair and encouraged the kids to work it out among themselves, with adult moderation. I appreciated this because I think part of being in school is that the child learns to resolve problems.

Both my daughter and son attended Niles Elementary. My daughter started in the 2nd grade, when we moved back to Fremont, and my son attended K-6. Aside from being the local public school and being convenient to where I live, I would recommend Niles to parents who want their kids to be taught by teachers who care about their job and go the extra mile. And also have friends of many different ethnic backgrounds. My children are mixed-race and always fit in. I read the recent comments about Niles from some parents - maybe a single disgruntled parent? - and I never experienced any of the issues they mention. The office staff were engaged and friendly and the principal was fair and accessible. There are two main reasons I didn't rate Niles five stars. First, there are a lot of helicopter parents at the school - maybe this is common everywhere? - but I thought this was annoying. Second, for very bright children there isn't any real effort made to challenge them. There was no special curriculum. This may be a district or state issue - I don't know, but when a child is identified as "gifted" one would think that s/he would be slotted into accelerated programs. Instead, my children both ended up being tutors for kids who were slower. Good experience (I guess) for them and it doesn't appear to have affected them adversely (one goes to Cal, the other is looking at MIT). Anyway, long story short, Niles is a great community and the elementary school is a great way to get integrated. There are many parents who care and parental involvement in the school and classroom is high.

Great school and great environment. The activities done and keeps the students engaged which is the hallmark of a good school.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Great teachers and care, very satisfied. Been improving a lot. I would definitely recommend this school.

teachers are condescending towards students and parents. Don't take responsibility and forget that they are teaching children and not adults. Homework assignments are unrelated to the common core curriculum.

A good school to be in if you are only interested in grades. I have two daughters in this school, and they did very well. However, I always felt something was amiss. They didn't appear to be extremely happy, but they didn't complain. Eventually, I had the bitter taste of unpleasant experiences as well. The principle is passive, and had displayed lack of professionalism in issues that was brought up. Encountered favoritism, and condescending comments in school projects. The sincerity, warmth, and graciousness is definitely lacking within the school environment. My youngest daughter was fortunate to have left this school for another in Fremont. She beams with happiness now! And her grades is as good if not the same as before. As for me, I walked into the new school, and I feel a sense of belonging finally. Having said all that, I hope that Niles will persevere to improve in the humanity aspect, and not always striving to be academically excellent only. We want our children to be well-rounded, don't we?

The school is not a problem because it's a Building. . The Parents here don't teach their children how to respect other races and cultures. This school is not Diverse as there is only a few Hispanics and a couple of African Americans here. The rest is Indians and Caucasians. Sime of the staff and principal are prejudice to the minorities. The Principal is rude and only speaks to people if you speak FIRST! Some of the teachers show favoritism towards the students especially Bernie a 2nd grade teacher at this school. Parents here need to teach their kids that we all are Humans and Bleed the same, no matter our skin color and to treat PEOPLE the way you want to be treated. The kindergarten teachers here are WONDERFUL. This school would be ok if some of the staff was sincere! Fremont goes off address that's why my child attends here. Also be careful when going on Field trips they overccharge for the kids and probably pocket the rest. Believe I called the 2nd grade teacher out on it a few times..

Last modified Niles Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.