Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

James S. Fugman Elementary School 3

Posted November 19, 2015
We moved from the Midwest where the schools are more challenging than the entire state of California in general. We heard great things about Fugman from realtors so I had high expectations. At the end of the year I was left disappointed. The classes are ridiculously crowded and so many of the kids in the school are transfers from other CUSD schools. I asked the Principal since the school is at capacity, why they can't limit or end transfers and she would only say it was a Clovis Unified Board decision. I felt that as Principal she was our voice at the board, and unwilling to represent the school. I had 3 kids in school and each child ended up doing the work equivalent to one grade behind what we came from. Only one of their teachers was willing to push my child and allow her to move forward. The other two were never given any extra assignments and told to read a book when they were done early. I'm fine with that for small amounts of time, but when they are reading 2-3 books that are over 300 pages long in one week, it's disappointing. No gifted and talented programs until 4th grade either. As long as your child is scoring well on state exams they don't focus on them. The school has beautiful facilities and great parent funding and participation. It just lacks the welcoming environment and challenging curriculum that they could incorporate. Potential is there, but needs work.

Posted October 30, 2015
Oh My God! i dont know where to begin... when we first moved to fresno, we were trying to look for neighborhoods with good schools! other schools looked good on paper but not when interacting and interviewing staff.Until i went to Fugman to ask few questions..... The staff is always courteous, smiling, attentive, helpful!!! Now lets talk about my kid teacher!!!!!!!! SHE WAS AWESOME!!!!!! I wish she was his aunt!!! everybody should have a teacher like Mrs. L!!! she's the best!!!! I miss her so much as a parent as well...... I send her an email to ask her one question, she responds with one big letter same day! communication with her was top notch, i always know what the students are learning in the classroom, she gives us ideas how to help the kids, what they are reading! Now that we moved to another city, hundreds of miles away, to another distinguished school, but helas, communication is missing and staff is helpful but not as courteous...... I miss Fugman! i wish i can take this school with me wherever i go!!!!

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted October 30, 2015
Mrs S.! you're the best teacher ever! You helped my kid a lot, and you were so patient with me as a parent!

James S. Fugman Elementary School 2

Posted September 10, 2013
My son just started at this school and I can see that they do get enough funding and parent participation, which in turn shows in their high scores however their ability to integrate special needs children into the mainstream is lacking. This school, as several parents reported, isn't built around helping students that need a bit of extra attention to be able to excel. My son is academically way above the norm for his class however I find him being left to his own devices. He does require some special accommodations which I found to be met with resistance. I was looked at more like the overprotective parent than an informed & educated parent of my son. Great school if your child fits the mold.

Posted November 20, 2012
Easily the best school in CUSD. Known for excellence in academics, sports and extracurricular activities. Very responsive teachers, principal and administration.

James S. Fugman Elementary School 1

Posted October 19, 2011
Too bad they don't put any effort into bringing good teachers to special ed like they do with other teachers at this school. Was basically just bringing my child to daycare since there was no teaching going on, and we were bullied by special ed department for years before we pulled out. Principal even told us we couldn't park in areas that the law says we can with handicap placard, and some of the regular ed teachers said they didn't want my daughter in kindergarten graduation department because other kids would be "confused" by her. Mostly just a very sad situation with Clovis Unified's entire special ed program.

Posted May 31, 2011
Fugman elementary has a great learning environment and we find that the teachers are excellent making sure that all children are learning and no one is left behind. Besides providing the best level of support for some students that need help and attention.

Posted March 09, 2009
Very well run school. Teachers work to get students full potential. Support staff is polite. Library is staff is phenominal!

Posted December 02, 2008
The teachers and staff members are very devoted and their efforts are highly admirable. All the activities are very well organized and the school system really keeps them going smoothly.

Posted May 26, 2008
Outstanding school. High quality teachers, amazingly competent and dedicated principal and fantastic parent involvement make this one of California's top elementary schools.

10825 N Cedar Ave, Fresno, CA  93730-3586
Last modified James S. Fugman Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.