Morris E. Dailey Charter Elementary School

Charter | K-5

Posted May 2, 2014

As a parent who has 2 children that have been attending Dailey Charter since opening, I can honestly tell you this is one of the best schools in Fresno. This charter school in only 1 of 2 schools in ALL of Fresno that was awarded The California Distinguished Schools Award for its excellent academic standards. The low reviews given to this school take with a grain of salt. This is the ONLY IB ( International Baccalaureate ) elementary school in Fresno for a reason. These parents cry their kid was awesome in "regular", then bring their kid here and find they cant keep up. They are right Dailey doesn't provide all the tutors and after school mentoring. Its a fasted pace school and children cant afford to fall behind. The ones that do, their parents realize that "regular" school probably thrie best bet. Not all kids are IB material. This isn't the place if you are looking for an easy ride. Here at Dailey Charter your kids will get not only the academic growth needed but the personal growth as well. They foster an environment which includes attributes that make your child not only a scholar but a great human being. All and all, Dailey has great staff and is a great school.

Posted March 16, 2014

This is a small elitist school that doesn't reflect the multicultural and differently abled world we live in. We found too many stressed out kids,stressed out teachers and desperate parents who thought their children had ADHD because they didn't fit into mould. Not enough creativity, too much emphasis on letter grades, extra long school day, lots of homework, left us not enough quality family time on weekdays. The administration can be mean spirited when challenged and Looking for a happier, healthy balance for our darlings.

Posted September 24, 2013

As the saying goes, sometimes you don't know what you have until you've lost it. That is exactly how my 1st grader and I are feeling at the moment after I did not re-enroll my son at Dailey and enrolled him at a highly rated Clovis school for first grade! I knew that Dailey Charter was leaps and bounds better than the Fresno Public school my son would have attended for kinder but because of their reputations I was under the assumption that Clovis schools would be about on par with Dailey......I couldn't have been more wrong! The work he is doing as a first grader at this Clovis school is sad in comparison to what he was accomplishing and learning at Dailey. He is literally doing work that he was doing halfway through his Kinder year at Dailey!!! At back to school night we learned they would not be learning clocks or money, which he already learned in Kinder!! Also, I had great communication with my son's Kinder teacher at Dailey and she was extremely responsive via email but unfortunately we are not seeing the same level of communication currently. I can not wait to re-enroll my son at Dailey, but am going to basically do another lesson plan at home everyday to keep him up to speed

Posted August 29, 2013

I love Dailey my daughter has gone there since day one. She was getting bored in class so they tested her and started giving her classwork of the next grade up. To challange her and she still kept up on everything. I do agree on one persons review they should test students to see if they qualify for an advanced school cuz I had a family member whose kid did go here should've stayed at a regular school. That way they don't feel bad when everyone is getting 100% and advanced on star testing and they are failing.

Posted August 15, 2013

My son will be starting his third year at Dailey on Monday. We LOVE this school. The teachers are enthusiastic and friendly. There in NO teacher burn-out here! My son has some anxiety issues, especially in social settings, and Dailey has been wonderful for this. He is now very comfortable speaking in front of an entire class of students, which is amazing. The curriculum is advanced. Students are typically taught about one grade level higher. His K teacher admitted that when she taught in a public school, the students were done a disservice because the teachers didn't even attempt to teach advanced concepts. I find that with Dailey's creative curriculum, the work never feels rote or prescribed. The students get to explore many topics AND they get to come up with creative ways to implement what they have learned. With regards to the people below who stated that the staff and teachers are unfriendly or unresponsive - this could not be more inaccurate. The principal/director greets every kid by name! Emails to my son's teachers were always responded to by end of day. And parents are definitely encouraged to help out ON CAMPUS by volunteering in the classroom and at events! LOVE Dailey!

Posted June 12, 2013

I am extremely pleased with my families experiance so far at Dailey. My son will be in the second grade next year. He LOVES school, thanks to the amazing staff and students at Dailey. I have had no problems with this school. The teachers and staff are great. My son is getting one of if not the best education offered in Fresno. The campus is very safe and I feel confident that my son is being well educated and watched over when he his at school. I would recommend Dailey! Dailey Charter is an amazing school and worth driving out of my way every morning :)

Posted May 1, 2013

We are disappointed by the practices at Dailey Charter School and hoped for more in IB PYP. This is a public charter school and any child is eligible to attend. This is not a school for gifted learners and there is no test to get in, but administration will discourage English Learners and students with disbilities from applying by saying the program is accelerated. The truth is Dailey Charter is no more accelerated than the rest of FUSD grade level standards are finished early so students are ready for CST. Daileystudents are given way too much test prep throughout the year. The teaching staff is mostly white, female and inexperienced.. Not one teacher has their own school aged children, so they don't understand what a hectic family life is like and seem callous when assigning homework. The teachers have PE on their daily schedules but it's rare that classes actually go out for PE instruction. When issues arise, the administration is defensive.No additional support is given to students who need it and instead families are encouraged to leave the school.

Posted November 15, 2012

We found Dailey to be an exceptional public school alternative in Fresno. Our daughter went there for 1.5 years and loved it. The staff is exceptional - they all work together to provide a safe and challenging environment. The school day is long, but the activities are varied and meaningful. Students are taught character traits and then the teachers and principal reinforce that teaching. ALL kids are accepted and celebrated. Chronic misbehavior is not allowed to disrupt the learning process. The teachers work extremely hard to meet the needs of their students. We have moved from Fresno, and have realized (again) what a unique school Dailey is.

Posted October 7, 2012

After 6 wks we are very satisfied with Dailey and our daughter's 1st grade teacher. As we expected and were told during school tour, the curriculum is challenging and school days are long, 745am-345pm. It involves: - lots of writing in class - weekly spelling tests: 10-15 words - 6-pages of homework a night: math, comprehension, writing - nightly reading req of 30-mins - home projects (occasional) with verbal presentation Every morning we park 1/2 block from school (no on-site parking) and walk/hop past 2-4 staff members on safety duty. We sit with our daughter as she eats breakfast in the cafeteria, then we walk to the blacktop and stand in line with other kids of her class. Many teachers are out greeting the parents & kids with smiles (sometimes hugs), at 745 teachers escort kids to class. Each day includes 3 short recesses and a lunch. Thru-out the week the kids attend specialty classes: PE, Art, Music, Spanish. At day's end, we wait at one of the 3 pick-up areas to meet our daughter who is released only after safety staff has positively identified the parent. Clearly, we're impressed with Dailey and our child's teacher. Even our daughter says Dailey is, "Awesome!".

Posted September 23, 2012

Ha! To the person who wrote below. Hamilton is an IB school. I just disenrolled my two sons from Dailey this week. We live across the street on Michigan. Charter schools do not have what other schools have to offer. No gate programs and they do not move up a student if they are ahead of grade level. My 1st grade son was so bore and was pushed around on the playground. Kids put their fingers in his nose. He use to love school and became bore and disenchanted with school. My kindergarten fought me after week one to go back. They started Hamiliton this week and guess what, what a change in behavior. Hamilton is a magnet school like Bullard Talent and other FUSD magnet school. They don't enroll anyone and you have to be on a lottery to be accept, just like Dailey. A girl in my son's 1st grade class lives all the way in clovis dry creek distrist and her dad brings her to Hamilton everyday. That should say something for FUSD. Yes, they do have an IB program. I'm glad I wasn't alone in disenrolling my two sons from this school.

Posted September 11, 2012

We love Dailey! Obviously, the person who posted last doesn't know what they are talking about. Dailey is a charter, but from our interactions with staff and teachers, none of them are "dissatisfied" - actually, it seems the opposite! We are always met with a smile when we arrive and the staff know all the kids by name. It sounds like the person my not have correct facts; Hamilton is not an IB school. We felt so blessed when a spot opened up last year and we were able to get our kids into Dailey! Our family would never go back to a district school - we are Dragons for life!!!

Posted September 5, 2012

I heard great things about Dailey and before we were enrolled staff was friendly. As soon as school started, things changed. Charters are run exceptionally well and others are not. Some were closed down due to low test scores. They reopened as a charter school to save the jobs of staff and teachers. The first day my child brought home testing material for the GLAS test. They are "teaching the tests" Parents are not allowed to be on campus or walk their child to class. Child must be escorted to their room. Parents have to wait on the opposite side of the street. Dailey also checks kids lunches and searches their bags. Teachers are not a problem. Office staff is incredibly rude and favor kids. We disenrolled imediately. Academically, Dailey is no different than any other school. The IB program was adopted by Fresno high/Hamilton. Dailey emulates that program in order to run. It turns out that when it comes down to it, some charters perform exceptionally well, some perform exceptionally poorly, and some many don't actually look that different than traditional public schools, such as Dailey. Some charters were formed by dissatisfied staff or low test scores, like Dailey had.

Posted August 22, 2012

My child just started at Dailey this week in the 1st grade. We love it!!! The program and expectations were explained in detail to us with a tour before school started. The staff is warm and friendly and truly seems to care about the students. The program is challenging - they have already started writing and learning new concepts. My child was so excited to share what she has been learning in just the first few days. I have met some of the new and returning parents and they are very happy with the education their children is receiving at Dailey. The office staff is visible on campus and always willing to take the time to your answer questions. I love the fact that the focus is on academics and our children's safety. This is going to be the great year !!!!

Posted January 31, 2012

My son was a third grader at Dailey, I pulled him out as he quickly became disenchanted with school. He has always loved to go to school but this was NOT the case with Dailey. Parents are not welcome on the campus, teachers and the principal are not friendly or even slightly kind. For homework my son was bringing home testing materials. They spent endless hrs on test preparation, it's no wonder their test scores are high they teach the stupid test and this is their #1 priority. Thank God I pulled him out he is now getting a quality education and loves school again. If you're looking for a good school, look at Baird or Bullard Talent. Dailey is not child or parent friendly.

Posted October 19, 2011

My son attended Kindergarten here until we moved him back to public schools. I was so excited about the great things I heard about Dailey, from friends and teachers in the community. My personal experience was terrible. Yes, they have rigorous standards, and I'm all for that. However, the teacher was repeatedly dismissive of my questions and did not return phone calls on more than one occasion. The principal was rude and made it clear that parents were not welcome on campus. She said, "we know what we are doing, so get our of our way and let us do our job." That is a direct quote. During back to school night the teachers seemed clicky and catty to each other. It is unfortunate to me that this school was given a chance to be anything that it wanted to be and they decided to become a mock Clovis school...drill, drill, drill. The biggest problem I had with Dailey is that they staff seemed mean and cold, especially a problem during the first few weeks of kindergarten. My son had a very negative view of school due to the attitude of the staff. They will say its all in the interest of high standards but having kids who don't like school is not an appropriate cost of high standards.

Posted August 16, 2011

I have one child attending the 4th grade at Dailey Elementary Charter. I visited 4 schools in my area --public and private -- before deciding on this one. As a charter school, the teachers still teach to the CA state standards, but have much more flexibility in the way they teach. The IB curriculum and emphasis of this school exposes all students to inquiry based learning in music, world views, foreign language, PE and art. Some of the exposure is direct and some is embedded as a way to convey curriculum content. The IB curriculum is both challenging and rigorous. Not for the faint of heart. I feel the extra 2 hours a day of class time is a benefit and allows my child more learning and not pressed to have to memorize to the test. The principal founded this school one year ago and has the vision, energy and enthusiasm to make it extraordinary. Her qualified staff is energetic and creative. The student population is diverse and the parents are very active in keeping the school going and thriving. Dailey has provided my child with exciting learning opportunities which I don't think he would have found at the typical public or private school.

This school's
API score

952

Change from
2012 to 2013

API Statewide Rank
(2012)

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

10 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

70 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

63 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

63 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

38 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

38 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

All Students90%

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 69%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Dance teacher(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
PE instructor(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom