Fresno, CA

John Steinbeck Elementary School 2

Posted March 24, 2014
the school is very unorganized and there is no discipline for children at any time.every time I've been to the school the office is like a big zoo kids running everywhere with no respect for anybody.the worst part is you don't have to show identification or even be related to a child and the staff will let you take them.if you want to keep your child safe I would not recommend Steinbeck Elementary

John Steinbeck Elementary School 3

Posted January 03, 2014
This school is in progress. With the principal just having gotten used to her position but my son is a GATE child and he is put in a class with 10-12 GATE students and the rest are standard program children which wouldn't be a big deal if his class was small but there are over 30 kids in his class. My son is bored and always trying to find things to do. He need to do more practicing in writing but when he has finished his work and the rest of the class is still working there is no direction for him. I understand that it is hard with a large ESL portion of the school to provide above and beyond enrichment for the GATE kids but all the GATE kids will leave the school if the they do change the situation. When this happens of course overall scores will suffer. The balance is being lost at this school.

John Steinbeck Elementary School 3

Posted December 13, 2013
The school and the curriculum are better than I expected with a 5 out of 10 score on this site. My child does very well at the school. The main problems I see are that the teachers have too many students in one classroom. Some of the teachers can handle that big of a workload, and, understandably, some can't. The Principal is friendly and caring, and most of the support staff are really great. If this school had smaller classroom sizes, the scores would be higher. I've seen a teacher struggle to test a student while the other 31 children were working and getting loud. So many kids needed help with their assignment, but she couldn't help each and every child while also testing another child. At the very least, they could hire someone to do the testing so the teachers could keep their classrooms under control and help the kids that are struggling.

John Steinbeck Elementary School 1

Posted May 09, 2012
Teachers are not competent enough to deal with diversity. My kid's teacher is not able to handle the Kids. In fact, it appeared that she doesn't want parents to come and visit her classroom. We stopped volunteering as she started putting my kid in trouble without any reasons. Her classroom looks unorganized. Strange but true, she even told us that she cannot pay attention to each and every kid as she has a big class( 30 students). She is not well trained to even differentiate between bully and victim. My kid as a second language learner and being culturally different has faced bullying even in the presence of teachers. But no actions has been taken so far. In fact, one day, while playing, my kid accidently pushed another kid. For this, he got a disciplinary action referral letter from his teacher quoted bullying under which "physical aggression" was mentioned. Even the other teachers/staff think that she is impatient and doesn't have any quality of a good teacher. I just want this year to be over so that we can move our kid to Houghton Kearney/ Polk where the teachers are really good as well as the management. I feel that the school is in need of a good and responsible educators.

Posted October 14, 2010
My son is in 5th grade has been there since 2nd and the teachers he's had have been wonderful!!!!

John Steinbeck Elementary School

Posted May 09, 2006

Posted January 14, 2006
I have found the quality of programs quite good at Steinbeck. The teachers, for the most part, are gifted. While not the most open to mainstreaming special education students, they are quite good with the regular education ones.

Posted January 14, 2006
Excellent teachers. Bias toward Christian students (as evidenced by form sent home for after-school Christian program). Quality education.

John Steinbeck Elementary School 4

Posted July 27, 2005
Hardworking teachers and support create a positive learning environment. They really seem to develop new learning possibilities for their students and connect with what they need.

Posted July 03, 2005
Excellent school. Great teachers all 6 years my children attended school there since it's opening. Former principal established great program, discipline and organization. Excellent, we were very happy with the school. The principal even greets every single student at the front door in the morning and knows who they all are!

John Steinbeck Elementary School
3550 North Milburn Avenue, Fresno, CA  93722
Last modified John Steinbeck Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
John Steinbeck Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top