Fresno, CA

Valley Oak Elementary School 3

Posted August 18, 2013
Valley oak is a school I would not recommend if your child isn't a sports fan. They have an mpr full of atchletic banners but only 3 academic posters in the back the 6th grade teacher mrs. Gregory is one who will give TLC to you if you don't push her buttons

Posted April 08, 2013
I have three children currently at VO and one going into high school. Both my high performing children and my child with learning disabilities are challenged and supported. In fact, watching my older child and his VO peers continue their growth in middle and high school is so rewarding! To name just a few accomplishments, this year, VO has 2 destination imagination teams going to globals (for the 2nd year in a row), one student is moving on to state for spelling, and another for science fair. These kinds of results are consistent every year. My older child's class has a former VO student moving on to state for History competition and another former VO student going to state for a Science project. The teachers work so hard and truly care about the whole student. At any school there's a chance that a teacher and child is not a good fit. Every teacher that I have dealt with at VO are completely committed to their students and the overall school. Plus they recently installed an Outdoor Learning Ctr (organic garden) for more hands-on learning!

Posted December 08, 2012
This is an excellent school. One of the top 5 in CUSD. My son and daughter both attend Valley Oak. They have had 3 teachers who have won awards for teacher of the year and one for science teacher for the county. The parents are warm and inviting and the students are happy and cheerful. My daughter is involved in peer mediation, choir and sports and my son is in band, sports and lego robotics. What a great experience

Valley Oak Elementary School 3

Posted October 27, 2011
We are new to the school and are less than excited about it. Teachers might or might not respond to our attempts at communication, and this has been our greatest frustration. Being new to the school, several things have been less than explicit, and our attempts at clarification have often run into frustrating dead ends... sometimes leading to negative repercussions for our child. I frequently hear how phenomenal the Clovis Unified schools are, and I have no doubt that they are superior to most public schools in California (and probably most private schools in Fresno,) but this school poorly compares to our previous out-of-state elementary school.

Posted September 30, 2011
I am amazed by the parent with the negative experience, my son is currently enrolled in Ms. Vincent's 4th grade class and I have nothing but positive things to say about his 4th grade year so far. As parents we have never made a donation other than time and I am confident our son receives the same good education as the next kid. Now could you ticket some of these teachers for being too pretty? ya probably.

Posted August 26, 2011
I would have to highly disagree with the previous review submitted by "other". I have been involved with valley oak for the last 7 years with my two kids and I have nothing but good things to say. Valley oak has a great staff Mrs. Gregory, Mrs. Vincent and Mrs. Hustede have always been professional and personable in our engagements. Mrs. Watson has handled any issues I have with my kids fairly and quickly. Don't let a skewed view form "OTHER" deter you from this Great school with a great staff.

Valley Oak Elementary School 1

Posted May 25, 2011
Unfortunately we are leaving Valley Oak on a bad note due to the teachers and Ms. Watson. Mrs. Duwe is a valuable asset to the school but she will be leaving on a part-time basis at the end of the school year 2010-2011. If you have a student there be mindful of the following teachers: Mrs. Gregory who teaches 6th, Kristi Vincent who teaches 4th and Mrs. Hustede's who teach 5th. All 3 teachers are upper level and have countless complaints towards them as teachers. The new principal does not support the parents or students and shows favoritism strictly towards the parents that donate and are involved in the Parent committees. It is unfortunate that Valley Oak has gone down hill since the arrival of Mrs. Watson. Very Ghetto for Woodward Park area.

Valley Oak Elementary School 2

Posted March 06, 2010
It was a great school until the new principal this year. Ms. Watson knows nothing of running an elementary school, as she came from the district office. It has become more about the rule book then the children and how to help then excel. My son and daughter currently attend Valley Oak as have my other 3 children. I am currently looking to remove them from this school and move them to a school that has a more healthy learning environment.

Valley Oak Elementary School 0

Posted May 19, 2009
VO is a great school: great leadership is provided by Ms. O'Farrell and Ms. Dewey (who happen to know each and every student by name!), and outstanding facilities maintenance by Mr. Calderon. Most of the teachers are very dedicated to their professions, are hard-working, and happen to be parents themselves. My suggestions for improvement at VO are more inclusiveness towards parents and parental involvement, better teacher-parent communication (with better use of classroom websites for this) and more teacher diversity. Realistically, instead of a ranking of '10', Id give them an A- but overall its a good school for my kids!

Posted April 30, 2009
Truly an exceptional school. As the parents of 4 children in the school, I feel I can speak with some authority on this. Outstanding staff which starts at the top - Eimear O'Farrell is the most involved, most dedicatged principal I have seen - and this sets the tone for a host of exceptional teachers. I truly cannot say enough positive about Valley Oak.

Valley Oak Elementary School
465 East Chaplain Drive, Fresno, CA  93720
Last modified Valley Oak Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Valley Oak Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top