Bad
Good

This school is a big disappoint! That pretty much sums it up in my opinion. Any parent who cares about the education of their child, do your homework first. My first interaction with the office staff is how I determined that I didn't not like this school. Rude, rude, rude, I never heard from the teacher, she never tested consistently, she was out of class most of the year. Never again. Read the reviews!

First of all the principal and vice principle are a joke.. The kids are disrespectful and rude kids are always fighting..in my kids second grade class room a student brought some kind of object to do harm to a fellow student I was in wow a second grader my kids did not feel safe at this school there is no funding for the kids therefore there is no kind of field tripsfor the kids. I am very disappointed very low performing school! If you are looking for a good school Slater is not the school for your kids do not enroll them here you will not be satisfied .

In only half a semester at Slater. Both my kids have seen fighting almost everyday. My bf and I have also noticed many confrontations between students and teachers ignoring what is happening right in front of them. For example, one afternoon we went to pick my son up from school at 2:05 when we noticed a student laying on the floor. Their also was 2 staff members nearby. One of them was less than 20 feet away from where the student was laying. She and the other staff member walked by the student on the floor then into the office and didn't even notice him on the floor, until I checked on him and noticed he was injured badly from the arm and face. It turned out that he was beaten up by several students (only several feet from the teachers). When we reported to the office and the staff member that was nearest to the boy, she didn't even ask if he was okay, but instead wanted to leave in a hurry. Another incident involved the school program where 2 students "jumped" another. We will not be taking our kids to this school next year, because the staff acts as if they are only there to collect a check and have no compassion or direction on how react to the kids.

My child has attended since kindergarten and is now in second grade. Mr. Adair is an innovative and creative teacher who maintains control of his classroom while using good teaching methods with his students. The other teachers on campus need to improve their people skills in order to draw more parents into the school to volunteer to help. I was chastised by one teacher for coming into her classroom to observe her so that I could get an idea as to who I wanted my child to have for a 3rd grade teacher. Most teachers welcome people into their rooms because they want to showcase their fine students and show how good a teacher they are themselves. The teachers are going back to their old ways which will draw S.A.I.T. back into our school. Joan needs to crack down on this and get her ducks in row again before this happens.

I love slater elementary school! I think that it is a great place and the best place to raise your child. I know that it helped make my life easier by helping my child

While this school has a very good principal and many excellent teachers (Mrs. Weeks and Mrs. Yocum are two of the really great ones), it also has many problems. There is a large student body (over 800), so it always seems crowded to me. Many of the primary grade class rooms have more than 20 students. And there are restrictions on what can be taught because they focus on core curriculum as they are a Reading First school. While this is to the benefit of underperforming students, it is not good for high achieving students. However, their scores are headed upward, so those restriction may disappear by next year. For this year, though, there are no field trips or class trips to the library.

Between my daughters 1st year at Slater last year when it was a year round school and this year, being the first year of traditional school, I am kind of disappointed in the school. There does need to be more parent involvement. Last year her two kindergarten teachers were great and almost every day there was a parent helping in that class. Now, I hear there isn't. Our kids needs our help to succeed in school.

This school has been a real disappointment to me and my child. From lack of supervision for my child to miscommunication within the administration, my overall rating of Slater Elementary School in Fresno is a 5 out of a possible 10.

Last modified Slater Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 1 out of 10 based on academic quality.