Beechwood Elementary School

Public | K-8 | 873 students

Sweep tile

Posted yesterday

I am a very happy Beechwood parent! Thanks to caring teachers and a great principal, when we had a problem recently it was handled quick! I've always loved this school, but it is times like these that I'm proud of our school. Mrs. Graham, you are a wonderful principal and are appreciated!

Posted March 19, 2014

I have been very happy with the teachers, the reduced class size reduction, and the implementation of technology at Beechwood. I do agree that there are cliques, and it feels hard to break into the current parent groups running the show. Also there is a lack of supervision of students after school with the lower grades getting out first and then upper grades. Other schools have teachers that stand out and make sure every student is picked up and those that are not are sent to the office. There are so many parents and students it feels chaotic. Finally, it is very suspicious that there are several reviews posted within days of each other during this schools open enrollment period glowing about the principal in stark contrast to previous reviews. In my opinion she doesn't truly care about the students like the previous principal, she does not know my children's names, and she isn't as present on campus. I am skeptical of those last reviews....

Posted March 6, 2014

Such a great time tonight at Open House and it reminds me how lucky I am to have my kids at Beechwood.

Posted February 21, 2014

Both of my children went through Beechwood's middle school program, we actually transferred them to the IB program there after hearing about it and taking a tour. I can't say enough about how positive the experience was for our family. Both children were very prepared for the competitive academic program at their high school and were very successful in high school, and for my son, beyond. After my sons freshman year he took the SAT subject test for biology and the instruction he had received at Beechwood along with his regular freshman bio resulted in his receiving a near perfect score. The science and math teachers at Beechwood are incredible, and instilled a love of both subjects in my children, both are planning to pursue careers relating to math and science as a result. I can't emphasize enough how happy we are that our kids attended Beechwood and how well it prepared them for high school.

Posted February 21, 2014

I love Beechwood! I have all four of my kids attending and have been since Pre-K. I have absolutely loved every teacher they have had. The caliber of teaching is above anything I have seen at other schools. When my friends and I talk about our kids' educations they are always impressed with all of the things that happen on a daily basis at Beechwood. My kids are well prepared in all aspects and are always challenged. I appreciate that my kids are treated as individuals and that the teachers and Mrs. Graham have always treated them with kindness. My children are always excited to go to school and come home sharing all of the great things they are learning. I am a working mom and have never felt shunned by other parents or the principal. Mrs. Graham has always been ready to listen to me and my kids. She is not Mr. M and nobody else will be and we should not expect her to be. Mr. M left because he wanted to. Of what I have observed, Mrs. Graham is doing an exceptional job!

Posted February 20, 2014

Great families, amazing children and wonderful staff - it would be easy for Beechwood to sit back and rest on its laurels. You won't, however, find a staff more dedicated to positive growth and innovation than the Beechwood staff. And the inspiration for innovation comes from Mrs. Graham. The staff works together to make sure that they provide a challenging and relevant education to prepare our children for the 21st century. My child s education doesn t look like mine did 20 years ago - and for that I am thankful. The world is changing and my child will be prepared to handle those changes. And they are doing more than handling change; they are thriving. What matters to me, as a parent, is that my child is loved, valued and nurtured everyday. I agree with a previous reviewer, it's not the bobcat way to be negative. Let's build this school up. Thank you, Mrs. Graham and staff, for the great work you do everyday for my child.

Posted February 19, 2014

I love Beechwood and I love our Principal, Mrs. Graham! She is an absolutely outstanding principal and a true visionary. She is professional and positive, and clearly has the best interests of all Beechwood students at heart. My kids love her and talk so positively about her. She demonstrates a keen understanding of learning expectations for each grade level and takes a personal interest in all students. I have watched her transform our school within the last few years into a center for innovative learning. She works tirelessly to support students, parents, and staff and is always positive. We know that our school will be at the forefront with the new Common Core Standards because of Mrs. Graham's wonderful leadership. She is an exemplary leader in every respect and I have complete confidence in her. My children are having the time of their lives at Beechwood every day and look forward to school because of the positive environment she has created. I could not be happier with this principal, and encourage the rest of you to take the high road! This negative talk is not the Bobcat Way! I encourage everyone to see Mrs Graham as the positive leader that she is!

Posted January 31, 2014

I have to agree with most of the parents regarding Mrs. G. My son has been at Beechwood since Pre-school, now on 3rd grade and it just seems like the same kids with the right connections are always placed with the popular teachers. Too much favoritism, nepotism and double standards.

Posted January 9, 2014

We LOVE Beechwood. Both of our kids are happy, challenged, and excited about school. The staff is amazing! Teachers, principal, office ladies and even the custodian are warm and friendly. The community is really involved and there always seems to be something positive happening. We couldn't ask for a better environment for our children.

Posted December 22, 2013

Still love this school! It's unfortunate that it's loosing its pizazz. Went to middle school concert and realized this when our former principal walked in. You could feel the room. Kids and parents love him....he remembers every parent and students' names. Crazy he's been gone for two years and still has that affect on this place. I worked the snack stand and noticed his approach as he talked with students as if he never left. Unlike our not new principal who left immediately after the concert, which I have noticed at many of our events. She is out the door way too quickly. Oh well, as one parent who was working the snack stand with me stated, "it's just not the same." District office should notice this, but they only care about test scores...which stayed stagnant year one and we dropped for the first time ever since Mrs.Grahams second year at the helm.....

Posted December 21, 2013

I have had two children in this school, with mixed results. Any success this school has is due to parental involvement. That is to say, these kids would do well anywhere. The quality of teaching is uneven, so parents need to make up the difference. Although this school has an excellent reputation, there are a few disturbing trends: 1. Over-reliance on technology vs. teaching. The school has an on-line grading and assignment system that would work great -- if the teachers kept the information up to date. They don't . So I never know what the real status of my Child's assignments and grades are. Basically, their inability to update the system makes it worthless. 2. iPads (ugh) -- The school recently started using iPads for 7th grade. Personally, I think these toys are distractions from productive coursework. My student spent almost an hour *coloring in a map* on the iPad. He could have finished in 10 minutes on paper. 3. (some) Lazy teachers -- One literature test given to my student was taken right off the internet -- with mistakes and all! Teachers do not send home completed tests because they want to reuse those tests over and over again. That's just lazy.

Posted November 12, 2013

I currently have a grade school and middle school student at Beechwood. Overall the school is good but I have to agree with the lack of leadership and interest from Mrs. Graham (the principal). Mrs. G is not at all approachable unless you are a stay at home parent or a foundation member. Beechwood has always been cliquish and every year it appears that the same kids (families) get put in the same classrooms with the more popular teachers??!!?? And if you bring this up you are assured that the placing of the kids is random and fair, hummmm. . . I bet the children of the teachers and staff, including the principal, are all going to go to the popular teachers. Also, I have stopped going to award assemblies and "shows" as it appears that the same kids every year receive awards and have the lead roles in productions. It is not a friendly place for the working parent and I have been shunned more than I care to admit. The teachers do seem to care about the students but I think Mrs. G has to be more interested in ALL the students not just those from certain families. Lastly, Mrs. G has shown poor leadership with some of the issues that have come up during her tenure.

Posted June 6, 2013

Mrs. graham is awful. She needs work. She's mentioned negatively in almost every post. Doesn't someone read these? She needs major work at connecting to parents, not just the parents that volunteer or donate money. There is a definite hierarchy at that school. Their writing program from elementary to middle school is awful. My child and those of my friends all have their kids in tutoring for writing. Does this seem right for a school of their caliber? My student has been advanced at CST's, but I am worried about competing in high school with the lame writer workshop background my child received.

Posted May 26, 2013

My kid will be graduating this year and the school has been amazing in all aspects. This school does not offer Gate however, they do have advance classes and advance kids who are high achievers. Most teachers are exceptional and do are very good with the kids. My experience has been great in all aspects and hold Beechwood in high regard.

Posted February 21, 2013

I love the school, but the new principal leaves a lot to be desired. She's not nearly as friendly as Mr. M was and doesn't take the time to speak with the parents or get to know the kids like he did! Also, the school makes you send your child to Hermosa for the gate program, so now I'm faced with the decision of making my son leave his friends and little brother at Beechwood to go to a new school! I only gave 4 stars due to the lack of a gate program and the new principal (which really only deserves 2 stars). Also, the stay at home moms are very cliquish! I'm a working mom and room parent, but the stay at home moms snub me quite a bit! It feels like high school all over again!

Posted January 14, 2013

My 2 children have been attending this school for the last 4 years. We love Beechwood. Great education, excellent teachers and challenging academic programs. The parent involvement is amazing and the field trips are educational and fun. We liked the previous principal Mr. M, he seemed more genuine and knew each child by name. The office staff is wonderful. I am happy we chose Beechwood!

Posted February 28, 2012

This school is a great school. However, it is quite small and can be cliquey among the students and the parents. I graduated this school ,after 9 years, a few years back and entering high school I was ready for all the subjects BUT ENGLISH. The junior high English teachers I had did not prepare me to write analytically at all. Even though we did grammar every Wednesday, I do not have the best grammar. It felt that it was shoved down our throats and we were just told to swallow,not leaving time to digest what we were learning. BUT MRS. STEELE IS AMAZING. She truly prepared me for biology and chemistry. She has a song for the chapter and had us sing it everyday, these songs helped me in biology and chemistry.

Posted February 16, 2012

Well Mr. M. was a great principal and the new Mrs G. has her own kids at the school. The Science Olympiad team just placed numero uno at an invitational meet and went to state finals last year. Band and choir are still offered and the new STEM lab seems to be popular and well run. It's relatively small and thus more like a private school even with the district funding cutbacks. I'd love to see it go charter but it's really great right now. I only held back from all 5's because Mrs. G. is so new. She has been good at enforcing rules that keep the school safe. Definitely consider this school if you live in Fullerton or Brea. P.S. It has one of the bigger parking lots for it's size, but no one walks to school anymore so it too gets crowded.

Posted May 19, 2011

Obviously this school is like no other. I have a 7th grader, a 5th grader and a preschooler all attending there this year. In spite of being a Pre-K - 8th grade school, the Principle know each child personally and sincerely cares about the school and the kids! The entire community is so proud of this school and it's continued accomplishments and it really shows!

Posted September 21, 2010

Each year, I wonder if the school rankings will go down because of the budget cuts but every year I've been impressed. My kids love it. They are challenged but have fun learning. Teachers and principal truly seem to care and there is a lot of parent involvement. I hope it continues.

This school's
API score

953

Change from
2012 to 2013

API Statewide Rank
(2012)

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

10 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

96 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

96 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

82 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

81 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

97 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

97 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

93 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

95 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

93 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

104 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

38 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

63 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

22 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

20 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

105 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

All Students81%

Hispanic or Latino81%
White (not Hispanic)92%
Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)73%
Parent education - declined to staten/a

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students64%
Femalesn/a
Males67%
White (not Hispanic)75%
Non-economically disadvantaged68%
Students with no reported disability61%
Fluent-English proficient and English only64%
Parent education - college graduaten/a
Parent education - graduate school/post graduaten/a

Geometry

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 7%N/A54%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

780 Beechwood Avenue