Troy High School

Public | 8-12 | 2631 students

Posted August 26, 2014

I have two children, Senior and Junior, attending Troy. Troy is focused on helping students get into the best college possible. The program is rigorous, but my kids do not spend 4 or 5 hours a night doing homework. Most evening it is 2 maybe 3 hours. If they spend more than that it's due to procrastination. They both play sports and are involved in other after school activities. Parents need to truly assess their child's ability. If they are not GATE or have shown a high level of intellect, they may fall behind. The courses move fairly quickly and taking AP/IB course is the norm. Hard work is also a pathway to success, but spending 5 hours a night studying comes at the expense of a well balance high school experience. You can take regular courses, but if that is the plan best to go elsewhere. My oldest has a 3.5 GPA and she is in the top 60%, at most Schools she would be in the top 30% or 20%. However, EVERY year students get accepted to Ivy schools, CAL, UCLA, MIT, Caltech, Stanford, USC, etc.. in 2013, 10 kids from OC were accepted to Harvard, 3 came from Troy. Teachers will go out of their way to help, just need to ask. Great school, but may not be for everyone

Posted March 5, 2014

I'm currently a sophomore in this school and honestly for you newbies out there coming to this school and think that the IB entrance exam is hard, well prepare youselves for the regular exams they pass out. Its much harder than those entrance exams and it gets much worse sophomore year and will get worse junior. Have fun :) Not saying you shouldn't take this school, it will help strongly for getting a good University and in the long run, a good career.

Posted February 5, 2014

I went to Troy as a freshman before I moved out of state. I was accepted into the IB. Troy is a great school for those who are committed to do their best. The courses offered are rigorous and challenging; however, the teachers are willing to help. Troy offers so many opportunities and opens many doors for your future. At the same time, those who are unwilling to commit should not come to this school, for they will be swallowed up by the intense competition. If given the opportunity to attend this prestigious school, it would be unwise to pass it up.

Posted January 9, 2014

I am a freshman here at Troy and my first perspective of this school was that it would get me into a great college. Which I can see will definitely come true if you have the affinity to learn and give school your 100% best effort. This school is intense and rigorous and no middle school can prepare you for what Troy has in store. I have never been so mentally strained in my life and I am constantly tired from long nights of homework. The only thing that is keeping me on my feet is the possibilities of my future. Colleges look at graduates from Troy as well-rounded and persevering, which is definitely a boost....To survive at Troy is time management and responsibility. Make sure you have a strong will and mental stability before coming to Troy. It is strenuous beyond imaginable.

Posted December 12, 2013

My school is Troy and I have to say honestly, Troy is not what like all the ratings say. Parents may believe Troy is amazing, but from a students perspective, it's a place that supports only academics and does not care about the student's future. Highly do not recommend for any students who wish to be well-rounded and remain sane.

Posted April 8, 2013

my home school is canyon high, in Anaheim hills, but I got in troy too. canyon high has a both AP AND IB program. I m just confuse what to do?

Posted January 8, 2013

I'm an 8th grader and I'm supposed to be going to BPHS because thats my "home school", but on the 26th I'm taking the test to try to get into Troy but I'm really worried that its going to be really hard and I'm going to fail.. Any tips? What should I expect on the test? Thank you (:

Posted August 9, 2012

I graduated from Troy as Valedictorian when Troy Tech and IB were fairly new. Looking back, I think that my education at Troy prepared me incredibly well to be admitted to every school that I applied to, including CalTech, MIT, Harvey Mudd, and others. I did study from the minute that I got home until late at night, but that is what it took for me. It wasn't that way for others. I put that pressure on myself. The problem with all of the pressure to have high 4.0+ GPAs to get into college isn't a problem with Troy; it's a problem in general. I loved band, but had to drop it to take all of the classes that I "had" to take. But I still did Science Olympiad (unfortuantely, pre-National wins!) and Academic Decathlon. You have to decide what is important to you and your kids. Try not to forget to LIVE. Part of my success in life has been that I stayed well-rounded. I've stayed balanced, getting back into Concert Band and choir in college and even now with my local Community College. Troy's programs are amazing -- but a lot of work. But success, and getting into the top schools, if that is what you want, is a lot of work regardless of where you go.

Posted August 1, 2012

Troy has very high expectation for young kids and very competitive. But it did not pay much attention to help kids' creativity. Studentss have to spend too much time on homework (more than 5 hrs)daily. Also they crunch a lot of college courses to 11th grade. some teachers are not responsible at all. They don't teach, and don't have tests for 2 months. Their grade was not fair, they give 1/3 of class Cs on their class. Their reputation is from outstanding students they got, but only top 5% can make to Ivy league.

Posted July 1, 2012

This is a great school where an amazing place for the bright, har working, motivated students. My daughter is going to be 10th grader. She loves this school more and more.

Posted June 28, 2012

Troy is an amazing place for the bright, har working, motivated students. My daughter excelled at Troy, and she was accepted at Harvard, Stanford, Yale and MIT so all the hard work paid off big time. The top 10-15 students get into the tier 1 colleges in the country and then do extremely well at the college as well because Troy prepares you well. But this school is certainly not for the faint-hearted. The kids who do well can also be involved into a lot of extracurricular activities and learn to manage their time well. Even the kids who do not do that great end up doing well in college, as long as they do not get frustrated and give up learning.

Posted April 16, 2012

I am going to be attending Troy in the following fall and currently, I am a eighth grader who lives quite far from Troy. My family has struggled so much trying to decide whether to sned me here or not and although many people have told me that the work is rigorous and suggested me to not come, I still believe that this school is an amazing school where students of great self-motivation can succeed.

Posted February 28, 2012

Not sure what that one star rating is about, my son attends the school and I have never dropped a single penny on tutoring. The one thing he does do is study, study and oh yeah study some more. The teachers are great and the growth that I've seen in the first two years is remarkable. But don't kid yourself, the school is rigorous and students hit the ground sprinting. If your son or daughter does not have an affinity for learning or the tenacity to keeping working hard at difficult subjects not to mention heavy work loads, this is not the school for them.

Posted December 26, 2011

I am a parent of two students at Troy High School. Troy is an outstanding school, overalll. It is a very high testing school due to the willingness of students to strive to reach their maximum capibilites, AND in large part due to the amazing teachers and staff at the school. it is a very warm and welcoming school with a plethera of willing to help teachers. Teachers here, unlike other public schools, dedicate more time to helping their students acheive greatness than i have ever seen before at a school. This is not only a very good testing school but a school that has a high college acceptance rate. i would recemend sending your child here if you have the chance. It will only help your child prepare for success.

Posted January 28, 2011

I went to Troy and while I can't say that I would ever want to go back there I would send my children there (if I had any) in a hot second. Troy prepared me for college more than I could even say. They ignited my drive to learn new subjects. Their Troy tech program english classes were more informative and educational than those that I took in college. They have a plethora of extra curricular activities (sports, clubs, JROTC,band, etc.) that look excellent to colleges as well. All in all this like getting a private school education in a public school, if you can make the grade and pass the entrance exam.
—Submitted by a student

Posted December 9, 2010

As an alumna of the school, I have seen it evolve from when my two older sisters attended the school to when I did and now, as my cousin now attend Troy currently. I do agree that Troy, in the current years, have lost many great and excellent teachers, but the students are still bright as ever. Many of the teachers my cousin have I have never heard of. Despite all that, I believe great schools are a combination of knowledgable teachers and hard-working students with a discipline and challenging cirriculum. Even though I did not graduate as the top 2% of the school, you don't really need to in order to attend a great university because if you do well at Troy, it will help when applying for colleges. I went to a well-known private 4 yr university and I would have to say, Troy prepared me very well for my first year. All my classes were a breeze because I have already developed the studying habits required for college. Because of Troy and the IB/TT program, I finished my GEs in the first 2 years of college so I could focus on my major classes and take additional elective classes. Whoever, feels otherwise about Troy, obviously didn't make the best of it.

Posted November 24, 2010

The teachers at Troy High School are below average despite seemingly high test scores. It is actually the high quality students that spend their own time studying or going to private tutors to perform well. Great students are covering the poor education provided by the school. If you want your students to succeed, look elsewhere.

Posted July 20, 2010

It's very disheartening to see all of the ratings which discredit the "excellency" of my high school. Additionally, the claims that Troy inadequately provides quality sporting and extracurricular activities is complete hogwash. Aside from providing an exceptional, however challenging and competitive, environment for learning, I know very few students who are not concurrently involved with multiple extracurricular activities and/or sports. Yet, if you are a prospective middle school student who does not want to come to Troy due to your own drive to achieve academic excellence, rather it's your parents who feel you "need" to come to Troy to succeed, then don't bother; you will not survive the competition if you don't have self-motivation and the drive to learn.
—Submitted by a student

Posted July 13, 2010

Great academics that challenge students to excel in the high school years and prepare them for the rigors of college curriculum. Great teachers and Troy Tech/International Baccalaureate Program. Lacking in sports and extracurricular activities.

Posted April 24, 2010

The school is over rated, and most of the students think they we are some kind of elitist community, even more so than private school kids. Its really about motivation, most of the work at troy is just busy work not really worth our time. Still it was fun, wrestling program was good when i was there too. (UCSB student)

This school's

(2012)

10 / 10

9 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

10 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

9 / 10

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 25% in 2013.

180 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 65% in 2013.

245 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 58% in 2013.

515 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 38% in 2013.

207 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 62% in 2013.

709 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 45% in 2013.

267 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

The state average for Integrated/Coordinated Science I was 26% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 38% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 51% in 2013.

290 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

95 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

262 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

198 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

446 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

31 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

675 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

103 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

211 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

677 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

384 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

59 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

127 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

281 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

162 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

43 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

628 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

58 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

379 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

148 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

636 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)68%
Parent education - college graduate90%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate96%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

665 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

665 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Females99%

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 1%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
PE instructor(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Security personnel
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Special education / special needs

• Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)