Fullerton, CA

Troy High School 3

Posted September 26, 2014
I am an alumnae of both Troy IB/TT and HYPS (Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford). Parents, please don t send your kids here if you want them to go to HYPS. Troy places too much emphasis on academics. Many of the top full IB students did not go to HYPS. They had great grades, but no solid extracurricular activities. I wonder if the reason is because they devoted all their time to studying. HYPS want well-rounded students. None of my HYPS peers took as many AP s as I did (and most came from "regular" schools), but they were all high school sports stars, music aficionados, artists, etc. I wasn t the top academically at Troy, but had a professional art portfolio and played piano. It would be better to enroll your kid in a normal high school and bolster their extracurriculars. It would also save them from the extreme stress and cut-throat environment. 3 stars for the great teachers. Some changed my life.

Posted August 26, 2014
I have two children, Senior and Junior, attending Troy. Troy is focused on helping students get into the best college possible. The program is rigorous, but my kids do not spend 4 or 5 hours a night doing homework. Most evening it is 2 maybe 3 hours. If they spend more than that it's due to procrastination. They both play sports and are involved in other after school activities. Parents need to truly assess their child's ability. If they are not GATE or have shown a high level of intellect, they may fall behind. The courses move fairly quickly and taking AP/IB course is the norm. Hard work is also a pathway to success, but spending 5 hours a night studying comes at the expense of a well balance high school experience. You can take regular courses, but if that is the plan best to go elsewhere. My oldest has a 3.5 GPA and she is in the top 60%, at most Schools she would be in the top 30% or 20%. However, EVERY year students get accepted to Ivy schools, CAL, UCLA, MIT, Caltech, Stanford, USC, etc.. in 2013, 10 kids from OC were accepted to Harvard, 3 came from Troy. Teachers will go out of their way to help, just need to ask. Great school, but may not be for everyone

Posted March 05, 2014
I'm currently a sophomore in this school and honestly for you newbies out there coming to this school and think that the IB entrance exam is hard, well prepare youselves for the regular exams they pass out. Its much harder than those entrance exams and it gets much worse sophomore year and will get worse junior. Have fun :) Not saying you shouldn't take this school, it will help strongly for getting a good University and in the long run, a good career.

Posted February 05, 2014
I went to Troy as a freshman before I moved out of state. I was accepted into the IB. Troy is a great school for those who are committed to do their best. The courses offered are rigorous and challenging; however, the teachers are willing to help. Troy offers so many opportunities and opens many doors for your future. At the same time, those who are unwilling to commit should not come to this school, for they will be swallowed up by the intense competition. If given the opportunity to attend this prestigious school, it would be unwise to pass it up.

Troy High School 4

Posted January 09, 2014
I am a freshman here at Troy and my first perspective of this school was that it would get me into a great college. Which I can see will definitely come true if you have the affinity to learn and give school your 100% best effort. This school is intense and rigorous and no middle school can prepare you for what Troy has in store. I have never been so mentally strained in my life and I am constantly tired from long nights of homework. The only thing that is keeping me on my feet is the possibilities of my future. Colleges look at graduates from Troy as well-rounded and persevering, which is definitely a boost....To survive at Troy is time management and responsibility. Make sure you have a strong will and mental stability before coming to Troy. It is strenuous beyond imaginable.

Troy High School 1

Posted December 12, 2013
My school is Troy and I have to say honestly, Troy is not what like all the ratings say. Parents may believe Troy is amazing, but from a students perspective, it's a place that supports only academics and does not care about the student's future. Highly do not recommend for any students who wish to be well-rounded and remain sane.

Posted April 08, 2013
my home school is canyon high, in Anaheim hills, but I got in troy too. canyon high has a both AP AND IB program. I m just confuse what to do?

Troy High School 4

Posted January 08, 2013
I'm an 8th grader and I'm supposed to be going to BPHS because thats my "home school", but on the 26th I'm taking the test to try to get into Troy but I'm really worried that its going to be really hard and I'm going to fail.. Any tips? What should I expect on the test? Thank you (:

Posted August 09, 2012
I graduated from Troy as Valedictorian when Troy Tech and IB were fairly new. Looking back, I think that my education at Troy prepared me incredibly well to be admitted to every school that I applied to, including CalTech, MIT, Harvey Mudd, and others. I did study from the minute that I got home until late at night, but that is what it took for me. It wasn't that way for others. I put that pressure on myself. The problem with all of the pressure to have high 4.0+ GPAs to get into college isn't a problem with Troy; it's a problem in general. I loved band, but had to drop it to take all of the classes that I "had" to take. But I still did Science Olympiad (unfortuantely, pre-National wins!) and Academic Decathlon. You have to decide what is important to you and your kids. Try not to forget to LIVE. Part of my success in life has been that I stayed well-rounded. I've stayed balanced, getting back into Concert Band and choir in college and even now with my local Community College. Troy's programs are amazing -- but a lot of work. But success, and getting into the top schools, if that is what you want, is a lot of work regardless of where you go.

Troy High School 3

Posted August 01, 2012
Troy has very high expectation for young kids and very competitive. But it did not pay much attention to help kids' creativity. Studentss have to spend too much time on homework (more than 5 hrs)daily. Also they crunch a lot of college courses to 11th grade. some teachers are not responsible at all. They don't teach, and don't have tests for 2 months. Their grade was not fair, they give 1/3 of class Cs on their class. Their reputation is from outstanding students they got, but only top 5% can make to Ivy league.

Troy High School
2200 East Dorothy Lane, Fullerton, CA  92831
Last modified Troy High School is a Public school that serves grades 8-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Troy High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 109 reviews. Top