Orangethorpe Elementary School

Public | PK-6 | 770 students

Posted September 29, 2014

The sense of community is felt in the multi-age program. This program offers real life skills for children. The teachers are very approachable and caring towards their students. Parents take an active role in their children's education. My son is flourishing that's what counts and has embraced the love of learning.

Posted September 3, 2014

Principal Amanda Segovia-Hale is gone. She was principal just long enough to leave the original multi-age program in ruins. In my opinion she was forced out. I notice the new principal's letter says S-H was "asked to bring her experience to the district office," where she was put to work in an entirely undefined job. Yet S-H is no longer at the district office either. In my opinion her departure came too late. At least a dozen of the school's teachers sought transfers under her "leadership." Mitch Hovey was the district superintendent who brought her in at Orangethorpe. He too is long gone (buyer beware...). So there is no one to hold accountable for the damage to the original multi-age program. The lesson here is to be careful of who your school board hires for these positions. Your program or school could be the next to be ruined by the good-idea fairy flying through.

Posted September 2, 2014

My kids attended the Mulitiage program at Orangethorpe Elementary. I moved them from our highly ranked/scored district and school when I wanted smaller class sizes. I searched every private school in the area and happen to meet a woman who attended the 40+ year old program as a child. I looked up the school s scores, drove by and quickly decided that it was NOT an acceptable option. Luckily for me, I met another parent who had just moved their children to the program and was RAVING about how happy they were. I decided to give it another chance and set up a tour. Within 5 minutes, I was sold! I ve never seen such an amazing atmosphere of teachers, kids and families all dedicated to developing a love of learning. Families of all backgrounds and kids of all abilities working together to help each other grow. I went home and started researching the program and continued to be surprised that this gem of a program was possibly the best kept secret in OC education. My only regret is that I didn t find it earlier!

Posted September 2, 2014

The Multi age class is amazing. A great alternative to homeschooling. Parents are so involved the student to adult ratio is 1 to 5 every day! Children direct their own learning. Art, Science, PE, Social Stdies, Class pets, monthly field trips, technology and intractive math games all in an individualized format. There is nothing else like it. THE MULTI AGE PROGRAM ROCKS!

Posted August 30, 2014

I love this school and I love the multiage program. It has helped me become a better learner.

Posted August 30, 2014

My children are in the multi-age program. It is AMAZING!!! We have wonderful teachers who truly care about my kids education. Our classroom is more than teachers and students. The parents are involved. I volunteer in the classroom 3 hours a week, per child. It sounds like a lot, it is not. I have a pulse on my child's education. I know exactly what they are doing in class. I know the parents. I know there friends. We are a village. It is so hard to find a great community of parents like this. We have passion, not just for my children to be the best, but for each others kids to succeed too. It is amazing and such a well kept secret. We recently got a new principal, we got a facelift, and the new ORCA way. It is amazing to see this school flourish. Hopefully people will look beyond the low scores and see this school for what it truly is, a diamond in the rough.

Posted July 11, 2014

My son has gone here for three years. It is a great school. He is in the multi-age program, and I could not be happier. I love the 'it takes a village' approach. And I know everyone in our village is dedicated! I would be more comfortable if we did not have the homeless camping out in the park all day. There has never been any problems, but it is a huge distraction.

Posted May 23, 2014

My son and daughter attend Orangethorpe. It is a good school. The area is not great but the ladies in the front office are helpful, Mrs. Alonzo and Ms. Ogawa are great, Mrs. Waters is awesome and the Principal Doctor Hale really cares about the kids. I appreciate the Friday assemblies because I learn about everything that is happening at Orangethorpe. Ms Gabriella and Ms Pat manage the busy office and still make everyone that comes in the office feel welcomed. Orangethorpe is a great school with a lot of technology.

Posted May 1, 2014

Both my kids go to this school. There are fantastic teachers at this school and the class rooms are well kept. Most classrooms include and ipad or Macbook for each student to use. School is diverse, but not anything that would make me feel like I have to look over my shoulder for fear of being attacked. There is a small park attached to the school where homeless from time to time hang out. Perhaps this is something the city needs to address since most of them seem to come from Anaheim which is a block away. The school is clean and really happy to see parents involved with school programs overall. Traffic in the morning and afternoon can be an issue in dropping of and picking up kids, but what school doesn't have this problem? Even schools in Irvine or other more affluent neighborhoods have this issue.

Posted March 15, 2014

Orangethorpe is a POSITIVE place for children to learn. Principal Dr Segovia-Hale leads with integrity. She has high expectations of students and teachers. Principal Dr. Segovia-Hale strong leadership has turned Orangethorpe around in a POSITIVE direction. She hired new teachers that LOVE our children and dedicated to helping children grow. I have three children at Orangethorpe. My son in kinder has his own iPad, his teacher is great. My daughter is in second grade, she said "When I grow up I want to be a teacher because my teacher is AWESOME." My son is in fourth grade this year. He loves designing projects and pod-cast on his laptop. My son really enjoys Running Club with the new PE teacher Coach Salazar. I am happy to see new young teachers that are positive role models to our children!! The Principal recognizes student achievement & positive behavior at Family Friday Assemblies. Friday mornings are a special time. Orangethorpe has an EXCELLENT Principal Dr. Segovia-Hale! The teachers are CARING and WONDERFUL! Ms. Gabriella & Ms. Pat in the office always put kids and families first.

Posted January 25, 2014

Teachers are very good. The office staff is horrible. They are extremely disorganized. Office staff is rude, they try to parent the parents. This is the 2nd year my kids have been in this school, if I were able to get them transferred I would. The school has transients sitting right outside the gates in the mornings, and it appears very run down.

Posted October 8, 2013

Over time I had 3 of my children attend Orangethorpe at one point . We've had both MRS. LIENS and MRS. JONES for a teacher and both are wonderful. They are patient and kind and always willing to take the time to talk to parents and answer questions. Its been 7 yrs since we've relocated to Brea and my son is now 15yrs old and a Junior in High School. To this day, MRS. LIENS will sometimes join my family and I for a bon-fire at the beach where we reminise and catch up. She is someone who truely cares.

Posted November 9, 2012

The multiage program is a wonderful environment for my children to learn and grow. The teachers go above and beyond! We love them.In addition to teaching reading,writing and math they made it possible for students to paint daily,hold the snakes, have share days, classroom jobs, a student generated newsletter and arts & crafts.The traditional events of the multiage classroom-the blockhouse, family message journals, October readings, parent interest, Halloween party and butter making are still alive. They have taken time to thoroughly assessed each childs level. In writing they have showed the kids how to brainstorm ideas, the 5 W's and remind them that stories have a begining, middle and an end. In the afternoons they do science and literacy centers. Lessons incorporate multisensory learning like, taste tests (5 senses), weather forecasts (seasons and weather), singing and crafts. The whole child is developed as children also discuss & practice the schools personal standards. Citizenship is evident daily as classmates learn to help and care for each other. Accountability and responsibility come into effect daily as they gently learn the privilidges or consequences of their choices.

Posted August 28, 2012

My children have been enrolled in this school since kindergarten and since day one it has not been a pleasant one. First off the office workers are rude and unpleasant. The office workers talk to parents like they are children and just belittle them. Sometimes they don't even bother to acknowledge a parent walked in. The principal Dr. Segovia-Hale and asst. principal Ms. Michel are another story. Never in my life have I felt like a horrible person. My son has some learning disabilies and they won't even listen to what I have to say they just blame and point the finger. Some teachers I'm really fond of and I believe have helped both of my kids succeed and they are Mrs. Crockett, Mrs. Rowatt, Mrs. Jones, and Mrs. Paz. I don't know if they are all still there since I heard a handleful of teachers up and left because of the disorganization of the school and the principals behavior. Every year I try to transfer my kids out of there and every year I am denied because of overcrowding. I hope one day that my children will leave this school and be placed in a better organized one. Look for other schools before you even consider putting your kids in this school

Posted August 20, 2012

My daughter was enrolled here in the 6th grade only and loved the school. Mrs Hollenbeck is an amazing teacher. My son has been there since kindergarten and now in the fourth grade. We have had some hit and miss with his teachers. He excelled in 1st and 2nd. Mrs Lein and Rowatt always had the kids best interest. My son has some learning disabilities and not all his teachers have been able to handle him like they did. He is not loud and abnoxious quite the contrary. He is very shy and emotional. I do feel that some teachers need extra training in that department. Their resource staff Mrs Parra is amazing! One of the biggest downfalls is their office staff, they are not pleasant to deal with. Overall I am happy with the school. The resource staff there is what keeps us here!

Posted December 6, 2011

My child has been in the Multiage program at Orangethorpe and it's been amazing. It is like a "school within a school" which may touch off issues in the greater school community, but if I could do it all over again I would. Orangethorpe in general is not the ideal school I'd send my child to, but this program within it is worth every ounce of effort to be part of it. I highly recommend parents look at this as an alternative. Without an emphasis on testing and drilling, my child has a lifelong love of learning and scores in the top percentiles of standardized tests. Take away the test focus and let children learn and they'll amaze you with their brilliance.

Posted February 5, 2011

My children attend Orangethorpe Elementary. I believe the teachers really care about our children. They have 1:1 laptops that keep my kids interested in learning. The teachers support kids to do their best. This year we have a new Principal Dr. Segovia-Hale, she is what we have needed. She loves our kids, you see her on plyaground and at lunch benches. We have assemblies every Friday and parents are invited to attend. My son had lunch with the Principal, he was so excited! My kids are already talking about attending COLLEGE! Keep up the great work!

Posted August 18, 2009

Both my daughters attended this school. At first, I was a little aprehensive due to the fact the school's appearance is nasty. However, after the their first year, my girls absolutely loved this school. At least the teachers that taught my daughters were caring, competent, communicated to me very well, and they showed genuin interest with my girl's success. I think a lot has to do with parent involvement. If parents fail to be involved, they will reap the consequences--this school gave me every opportunity to stay involved. In terms of safety: this school is too open for anyone to walk on property and have direct access to the children before and after school and during recess; the parking lot is poorly designed; and, the front office staff has lackadaisical attitudes as if I'm not important engough for them to get out of their seat and talk face to face.

Posted August 14, 2008

My son transferred to Orangethorpe from another Fullerton school and from day one I have not been happy. It is hard to get information. Even though my son's class was a job share he had a lot of subs though out the year which made learning difficult. We just got the STAR scores and his scores went way down. I would explore the other schools in the Fullerton disrtict before making a choice.

Posted May 30, 2008

Orangethorpe is the worst school in the history of schools! If I could rate a 0, I would. The staff is, not only uncooperative, but they are highly incompetent as well. The school has some good teachers, but this does not make up for all other short comings, which there is too many to list. If you are able, send your children elsewhere.

This school's

(2012)

2 / 10

1 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school did not meet its schoolwide API target for 2013.
  • This school has not yet met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

2 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

1 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

111 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

111 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

89 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

82 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

84 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

90 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

90 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

89 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

94 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

95 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students35%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 10%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Dr. Erlinda Soltero-Ruiz
Fax number
  • (714) 447-7527

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
  • Computer lab