Fullerton, CA

Posted September 29, 2014
The sense of community is felt in the multi-age program. This program offers real life skills for children. The teachers are very approachable and caring towards their students. Parents take an active role in their children's education. My son is flourishing that's what counts and has embraced the love of learning.

Orangethorpe Elementary School 1

Posted September 03, 2014
Principal Amanda Segovia-Hale is gone. She was principal just long enough to leave the original multi-age program in ruins. In my opinion she was forced out. I notice the new principal's letter says S-H was "asked to bring her experience to the district office," where she was put to work in an entirely undefined job. Yet S-H is no longer at the district office either. In my opinion her departure came too late. At least a dozen of the school's teachers sought transfers under her "leadership." Mitch Hovey was the district superintendent who brought her in at Orangethorpe. He too is long gone (buyer beware...). So there is no one to hold accountable for the damage to the original multi-age program. The lesson here is to be careful of who your school board hires for these positions. Your program or school could be the next to be ruined by the good-idea fairy flying through.

Posted September 02, 2014
My kids attended the Mulitiage program at Orangethorpe Elementary. I moved them from our highly ranked/scored district and school when I wanted smaller class sizes. I searched every private school in the area and happen to meet a woman who attended the 40+ year old program as a child. I looked up the school s scores, drove by and quickly decided that it was NOT an acceptable option. Luckily for me, I met another parent who had just moved their children to the program and was RAVING about how happy they were. I decided to give it another chance and set up a tour. Within 5 minutes, I was sold! I ve never seen such an amazing atmosphere of teachers, kids and families all dedicated to developing a love of learning. Families of all backgrounds and kids of all abilities working together to help each other grow. I went home and started researching the program and continued to be surprised that this gem of a program was possibly the best kept secret in OC education. My only regret is that I didn t find it earlier!

Posted September 02, 2014
The Multi age class is amazing. A great alternative to homeschooling. Parents are so involved the student to adult ratio is 1 to 5 every day! Children direct their own learning. Art, Science, PE, Social Stdies, Class pets, monthly field trips, technology and intractive math games all in an individualized format. There is nothing else like it. THE MULTI AGE PROGRAM ROCKS!

Posted August 30, 2014
I love this school and I love the multiage program. It has helped me become a better learner.

Posted August 30, 2014
My children are in the multi-age program. It is AMAZING!!! We have wonderful teachers who truly care about my kids education. Our classroom is more than teachers and students. The parents are involved. I volunteer in the classroom 3 hours a week, per child. It sounds like a lot, it is not. I have a pulse on my child's education. I know exactly what they are doing in class. I know the parents. I know there friends. We are a village. It is so hard to find a great community of parents like this. We have passion, not just for my children to be the best, but for each others kids to succeed too. It is amazing and such a well kept secret. We recently got a new principal, we got a facelift, and the new ORCA way. It is amazing to see this school flourish. Hopefully people will look beyond the low scores and see this school for what it truly is, a diamond in the rough.

Posted July 11, 2014
My son has gone here for three years. It is a great school. He is in the multi-age program, and I could not be happier. I love the 'it takes a village' approach. And I know everyone in our village is dedicated! I would be more comfortable if we did not have the homeless camping out in the park all day. There has never been any problems, but it is a huge distraction.

Posted May 23, 2014
My son and daughter attend Orangethorpe. It is a good school. The area is not great but the ladies in the front office are helpful, Mrs. Alonzo and Ms. Ogawa are great, Mrs. Waters is awesome and the Principal Doctor Hale really cares about the kids. I appreciate the Friday assemblies because I learn about everything that is happening at Orangethorpe. Ms Gabriella and Ms Pat manage the busy office and still make everyone that comes in the office feel welcomed. Orangethorpe is a great school with a lot of technology.

Orangethorpe Elementary School 4

Posted May 01, 2014
Both my kids go to this school. There are fantastic teachers at this school and the class rooms are well kept. Most classrooms include and ipad or Macbook for each student to use. School is diverse, but not anything that would make me feel like I have to look over my shoulder for fear of being attacked. There is a small park attached to the school where homeless from time to time hang out. Perhaps this is something the city needs to address since most of them seem to come from Anaheim which is a block away. The school is clean and really happy to see parents involved with school programs overall. Traffic in the morning and afternoon can be an issue in dropping of and picking up kids, but what school doesn't have this problem? Even schools in Irvine or other more affluent neighborhoods have this issue.

Posted March 15, 2014
Orangethorpe is a POSITIVE place for children to learn. Principal Dr Segovia-Hale leads with integrity. She has high expectations of students and teachers. Principal Dr. Segovia-Hale strong leadership has turned Orangethorpe around in a POSITIVE direction. She hired new teachers that LOVE our children and dedicated to helping children grow. I have three children at Orangethorpe. My son in kinder has his own iPad, his teacher is great. My daughter is in second grade, she said "When I grow up I want to be a teacher because my teacher is AWESOME." My son is in fourth grade this year. He loves designing projects and pod-cast on his laptop. My son really enjoys Running Club with the new PE teacher Coach Salazar. I am happy to see new young teachers that are positive role models to our children!! The Principal recognizes student achievement & positive behavior at Family Friday Assemblies. Friday mornings are a special time. Orangethorpe has an EXCELLENT Principal Dr. Segovia-Hale! The teachers are CARING and WONDERFUL! Ms. Gabriella & Ms. Pat in the office always put kids and families first.

Orangethorpe Elementary School
1400 South Brookhurst Road, Fullerton, CA  92833
Last modified Orangethorpe Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Orangethorpe Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 27 reviews. Top