Pacifica High School

Public | 9-12 | 1881 students

Living in Garden Grove

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $425,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,900.

In the know: Get our expert advice on schools

No articles are available

Posted April 21, 2014

My student is an IEP student and has difficutly keeping up with some of his classes. He has always been taught to ask for extra help before and after school. Yet, this year he has several teachers who have not been willing to meet with him, even by appointment and he is now really struggling in that class. It's very sad to see students try to obtain the help they need and have teachers unwilling to help. I understand they have lives and families, however it seems to be more and more of the teachers are showing less care for their students at this school, which is very sad to see. Not sure we will be sending child #2 to Pacifica in the next year.

Posted April 16, 2014

Just like any HS you have your teachers that care and teachers that don't. It is our job as parents to let them know that you are on top of things and to ask questions if your student doesn't get the right answers. And if you don't play baseball or softball forget it the sports programs are a joke from an old boys soccer coach who usually has talent but can't do anything with or the girls soccer coach who is a club president and coach and only uses the school to farm players and forget about football it's just not gonna happen they don't even have there own stadium. But they take the whole bullying thing very serious and have lots of parent seminars and such for a variety of different things. Relatively safe I guess.....

Posted May 23, 2013

I would like to see what percentage of students have to REPEAT classes at Pacifica vs. the California average. I notice my son passes the science and math benchmark tests with ease - but struggles mightily with Pacifica's teacher's own tests in geometry and chemistry. Same for his friends - many of whom will have to take Chemistry twice to avoid killing their chances at college. Why is there such a difference between student's performance on benchmarks vs. in class tests? What does that tell us? I think the teachers aren't getting the more complex issues into the students heads - a substantial amount flunk tests - and the teachers don't care - just move on. Everything seems to be in a mad rush. GRADING homework would be a good change. My son's geometry class gets full homework credit - just for turning it in. But are the students doing the homework correctly? Who knows - until you FAIL a test. Ugh. Private school - I wish I invested in it. the teaching is so much better. The caring is so much higher.

Posted May 10, 2013

Make sure your student gets involved with clubs, or any sport, that builds camaraderie that helps focus study habits.

Posted May 2, 2013

The school could have a better school spirit if it isn't demeaning and that it does not make students feel uncomfortable.

Posted February 18, 2013

I have had two kids go through this school, the first one had bad experiences with teachers who wouldn't help or answer questions and I had a poor impression, however, when the second one entered and had some of those same, tough teachers I learned that there is more than one perspective as she was able to relate and work hard to get good grades -- this first one, not so much and now three years later admits she didn't work very hard, so I know not to take anything on face value.. The staff if courteous and the campus pretty safe, don't hear much of bulling nor fighting for the most part and the students seem very tolerant of each other, no matter what their differences. The school could use some revamping and it can be quite crowded and small. They could also use some new full-time math teachers as every year my kid has had some terrible substitutes teach classes abandoned due to personal situations, however those situations were handled with re-grading and/or re-testing and the outcomes were more than satisfactory -- given all of that, I think Pacifica offers a solid education and recommend it wholeheartedly..

Posted July 8, 2012

It's summer time right now, and I feel like this school needs a recent review. After summer I will be going into my junior year, and I will have been attending Pacifica for two years already. The teachers I have had so far really know how to teach an get information into your brain, if you really listen and study. I haven't had any ap or honors classes, and I don't really plan to yet, but none of my teachers were boring. They really know how to show their personalities and show that they care. I stay after school a lot because I don't live in Garden Grove and I have to wait to get picked up after my parent's job, and when you stay after school to do homework you know you can feel the safety this school has. A year before I attended I heard of violent fights, but there rarely is any, I only heard of ONE fight at the end of the year as a sophomore. There also was a new principal this year too, I find him a kind man, he is really good at supervising the campus teacher and making sure the students have the best education as possible. To be honest he is a lot more outgoing than the former one. Outgoing teachers, safe environment, responsible caring staff, and you can learn best.

Posted September 23, 2011

My daughter attended Pacifica for about 2 weeks. I have to admit that at first I was hesitant, but I was pleasantly surprised at how professional and kind the staff and teachers were to my daughter. Her experience there was positive and I now feel that if she ever has to return I can send her there without worry or regret. A good school as far as I can see, and trust me, I am a huge skeptic!

Posted July 23, 2011

I am currently attending Pacifica, and i have to say, i love it! I was diagnosed with ADHD AND depression this past year (my freshman year) and the counslers were VERY involved with both helping me strive in my schoolwork AND keeping me safe and out of harm. The teachers are great, some of the other students are....ugh...but the administration is great! I'm glad i attend this school! Go Marching Band!

Posted December 10, 2010

The teachers that one of the parents listed below are the only qualified teachers who care about the students future and kids can relate to them . The rest of the staff is terrible including administration. And I agree, long term teachers except for Mr. Roy is another good one can all go. They also have alot of new teachers there who don't know what their doing and grade terrible. Kids are constantly repeating classes at this school. If Garden Grove didn't have summer school what would they do? They also have a flood of kids who enter Hare school when they get behind because teachers have problems relating to students in teaching. Including all their rules is another reason why kids get so behind. They don't treat them like high school kids. This school is a prison and glad I got my kid out of here.

Posted October 22, 2010

Everyone is so nice to deal with & they support the children in studies & sports. Also my granddaughter go there & she likes it.

Posted September 15, 2010

I think Pacifica is a great school. I have two students there currently; both enjoy going to school and have great teachers who really care. Mr. Barham, Mr. Anderson, Mrs. Chang and Mrs. Rinehart stand out as outstanding educators, providing a balance of support and challenge. It is a safe school. Adminstrators are friendly and accessible.

Posted September 13, 2010

Teacher involvement is minimal. They only do what is expected. Students fall behind and grades are low, no accountability towards the teachers. Long term teachers do not care as long as they get their salary.

Posted March 23, 2010

I took my kid out of here too he is doing much better and almost done with high school. Pacifica is a prison school they have too many rules, they fail alot of kids, they don't have a good rapport with the students and some teachers are alright but many just don't care or not that good. And I went to this high school years ago. But it is not the same it's too bad.

Posted March 19, 2010

I took my daughter out of Pacifica in 2009 and transferred her to Marina where she is doing much better because the teachers care over there. She is not falling behind like she was at Pacifica. And most important she is much happier and enjoys school again.

Posted March 5, 2010

This is a good school. They do empahzise beign responsible for your education, this is high school no elementary. So kids who get behind, do find it harder to catch up, as class continues to push forward when some kids are still back. Some classes offer zero period for tutoring to assist, for those who are willing to get up and take action for their grades. There needs to be more councelors. As a parent - your are expected to care about your childs education, and put in as much effort as you want the school too. so you have to stay on your toes and on your child, as you will be notified by councelors after the fact if there are problems or graduation issues. I make a point of having an appointmet with myself my child and councelor twice a year - needed or not.

Posted February 19, 2010

This school I have to say is overrated. They give false hopes into students and the students end up falling behind. I have been teaching here at Pacifica and the experience hasn't been very pleasant. I have had to leave a huge amount of students behind to continue with the 'smart kids' because that was all that mattered, the scores. Overall Pacifica needs to start thinking about all the students not just their reputation.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 29, 2008

I love this school. I am a soon- to - be- junior and I think that the school and environment are great. The sports are good, this is coming from a football player himself, the staff and students are fun to be around.

Posted May 5, 2008

Go Mariners!!! Go Fight WIn! I love attending Pacifica High School. I am a junior this year, and I am very sad that my time there is ending so quickly. I enjoy every year at this school, and I love almost all of my teachers, and one of them stands out above all others. Thank you Pacifica, for making my soon-to-be-over high school career so memorable! I LOVE YOU PHS!!!

Posted March 5, 2008

Compared to another high school, I found the teachers here to be very engaging, unique, and fun to learn with. I wouldn't trade the experiences I had here for anything. Being a student here, I felt accepted for the first time and likewise intelligent. Everything was taught in a way to ensure that it would stick. Better still is the off-campus ROP center not more than two blocks away, allowing for more education (and extra credits) for those who wish to add more to their achievements. Not only that, but it is placed fairly close to several colleges. I couldn't reccomend this school any more than I have. If you want a school where educational achievement is possible, and exceeding it is plausible, then this is it.

This school's
API score

858

Change from
2012 to 2013

API Statewide Rank
(2012)

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

9 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 25% in 2013.

194 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 65% in 2013.

64 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 58% in 2013.

391 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 38% in 2013.

13 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 62% in 2013.

429 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

16 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 45% in 2013.

163 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

The state average for Integrated/Coordinated Science I was 26% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 38% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 51% in 2013.

102 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

35 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

171 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

32 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

278 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

115 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

441 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

199 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

37 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

441 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

409 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

154 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

142 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

66 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

60 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

384 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

38 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

190 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

45 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

399 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

All Students55%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)70%
Parent education - college graduate83%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate95%
Parent education - declined to state76%

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students0%

Parent education - college graduate82%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate95%
Parent education - declined to state61%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

458 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

457 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students91%

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 1%N/AN/A
Source: CRDC, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
College counselor(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Nurse(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

School start time
  • 7:55 am
School end time
  • 2:50 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

• College counselor(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Nurse(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)
Transportation options