Bad
Good

Posted February 12, 2016
I attended Pacifica from 9th grade until 2nd semester of 11th grade. In my 3 years there I had absolutely no encouragement from my AP or teachers. I actually had a teacher tell me he isn't dealing with my "bullsh**" and accused me of things I did not do. Two other teachers told me that taking my final is pointless because I will fail anyways. I transferred to Hare Continuation when I left Pacifica and got straight A's, which continued once I started ACCESS. I did better on my own than I ever did at Pacifica. In my opinion they just don't care about the students that are struggling because it makes them look bad, which they should because they did not take the time to help me rather than putting me down. I know other students that have said the same so it is not just my own personal experience.

Posted January 20, 2015
As a student who transferred into Pacifica this year after spending my freshman year at a different school, I've found that Pacifica offers a very different high school experience as opposed to what I had before. Pacifica is a very small school in comparison to the one I came from, and I've been happy with the clean atmosphere and generally well-kept image of the school. However, the entrance I use to get into the school has no side walk at all and forces students to walk in-between cars coming in and out of the school's lot. I find that to be really poor design, and dangerous. The teachers I have now as opposed to the ones I had before are not as good at what they do. Some have very poorly planned classes, Some are not very interactive with their class at all, and are very vague with help when asked for it.. Most are not very clear when it comes to instructions. The school spirit here is a joke- we never have any pep assemblies and most students generally accept that our sports teams are terrible. All in all I've found it to be a downgrade, and though there are things I enjoy about Pacifica, I've been pretty disappointed with my new school.

Posted April 21, 2014
My student is an IEP student and has difficutly keeping up with some of his classes. He has always been taught to ask for extra help before and after school. Yet, this year he has several teachers who have not been willing to meet with him, even by appointment and he is now really struggling in that class. It's very sad to see students try to obtain the help they need and have teachers unwilling to help. I understand they have lives and families, however it seems to be more and more of the teachers are showing less care for their students at this school, which is very sad to see. Not sure we will be sending child #2 to Pacifica in the next year.

Pacifica High School 1

Posted April 16, 2014
Just like any HS you have your teachers that care and teachers that don't. It is our job as parents to let them know that you are on top of things and to ask questions if your student doesn't get the right answers. And if you don't play baseball or softball forget it the sports programs are a joke from an old boys soccer coach who usually has talent but can't do anything with or the girls soccer coach who is a club president and coach and only uses the school to farm players and forget about football it's just not gonna happen they don't even have there own stadium. But they take the whole bullying thing very serious and have lots of parent seminars and such for a variety of different things. Relatively safe I guess.....

Posted May 23, 2013
I would like to see what percentage of students have to REPEAT classes at Pacifica vs. the California average. I notice my son passes the science and math benchmark tests with ease - but struggles mightily with Pacifica's teacher's own tests in geometry and chemistry. Same for his friends - many of whom will have to take Chemistry twice to avoid killing their chances at college. Why is there such a difference between student's performance on benchmarks vs. in class tests? What does that tell us? I think the teachers aren't getting the more complex issues into the students heads - a substantial amount flunk tests - and the teachers don't care - just move on. Everything seems to be in a mad rush. GRADING homework would be a good change. My son's geometry class gets full homework credit - just for turning it in. But are the students doing the homework correctly? Who knows - until you FAIL a test. Ugh. Private school - I wish I invested in it. the teaching is so much better. The caring is so much higher.

Pacifica High School 5

Posted May 10, 2013
Make sure your student gets involved with clubs, or any sport, that builds camaraderie that helps focus study habits.

Posted May 02, 2013
The school could have a better school spirit if it isn't demeaning and that it does not make students feel uncomfortable.

Posted February 18, 2013
I have had two kids go through this school, the first one had bad experiences with teachers who wouldn't help or answer questions and I had a poor impression, however, when the second one entered and had some of those same, tough teachers I learned that there is more than one perspective as she was able to relate and work hard to get good grades -- this first one, not so much and now three years later admits she didn't work very hard, so I know not to take anything on face value.. The staff if courteous and the campus pretty safe, don't hear much of bulling nor fighting for the most part and the students seem very tolerant of each other, no matter what their differences. The school could use some revamping and it can be quite crowded and small. They could also use some new full-time math teachers as every year my kid has had some terrible substitutes teach classes abandoned due to personal situations, however those situations were handled with re-grading and/or re-testing and the outcomes were more than satisfactory -- given all of that, I think Pacifica offers a solid education and recommend it wholeheartedly..

Posted July 08, 2012
It's summer time right now, and I feel like this school needs a recent review. After summer I will be going into my junior year, and I will have been attending Pacifica for two years already. The teachers I have had so far really know how to teach an get information into your brain, if you really listen and study. I haven't had any ap or honors classes, and I don't really plan to yet, but none of my teachers were boring. They really know how to show their personalities and show that they care. I stay after school a lot because I don't live in Garden Grove and I have to wait to get picked up after my parent's job, and when you stay after school to do homework you know you can feel the safety this school has. A year before I attended I heard of violent fights, but there rarely is any, I only heard of ONE fight at the end of the year as a sophomore. There also was a new principal this year too, I find him a kind man, he is really good at supervising the campus teacher and making sure the students have the best education as possible. To be honest he is a lot more outgoing than the former one. Outgoing teachers, safe environment, responsible caring staff, and you can learn best.

Pacifica High School 5

Posted September 23, 2011
My daughter attended Pacifica for about 2 weeks. I have to admit that at first I was hesitant, but I was pleasantly surprised at how professional and kind the staff and teachers were to my daughter. Her experience there was positive and I now feel that if she ever has to return I can send her there without worry or regret. A good school as far as I can see, and trust me, I am a huge skeptic!

Pacifica High School
6851 Lampson Avenue, Garden Grove, CA  92845-2211
Last modified Pacifica High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.