Garden Grove, CA
Students enrolled: 1,881

Pacifica High School 2

Posted April 21, 2014
My student is an IEP student and has difficutly keeping up with some of his classes. He has always been taught to ask for extra help before and after school. Yet, this year he has several teachers who have not been willing to meet with him, even by appointment and he is now really struggling in that class. It's very sad to see students try to obtain the help they need and have teachers unwilling to help. I understand they have lives and families, however it seems to be more and more of the teachers are showing less care for their students at this school, which is very sad to see. Not sure we will be sending child #2 to Pacifica in the next year.

Pacifica High School 1

Posted April 16, 2014
Just like any HS you have your teachers that care and teachers that don't. It is our job as parents to let them know that you are on top of things and to ask questions if your student doesn't get the right answers. And if you don't play baseball or softball forget it the sports programs are a joke from an old boys soccer coach who usually has talent but can't do anything with or the girls soccer coach who is a club president and coach and only uses the school to farm players and forget about football it's just not gonna happen they don't even have there own stadium. But they take the whole bullying thing very serious and have lots of parent seminars and such for a variety of different things. Relatively safe I guess.....

Pacifica High School 2

Posted May 23, 2013
I would like to see what percentage of students have to REPEAT classes at Pacifica vs. the California average. I notice my son passes the science and math benchmark tests with ease - but struggles mightily with Pacifica's teacher's own tests in geometry and chemistry. Same for his friends - many of whom will have to take Chemistry twice to avoid killing their chances at college. Why is there such a difference between student's performance on benchmarks vs. in class tests? What does that tell us? I think the teachers aren't getting the more complex issues into the students heads - a substantial amount flunk tests - and the teachers don't care - just move on. Everything seems to be in a mad rush. GRADING homework would be a good change. My son's geometry class gets full homework credit - just for turning it in. But are the students doing the homework correctly? Who knows - until you FAIL a test. Ugh. Private school - I wish I invested in it. the teaching is so much better. The caring is so much higher.

Posted May 10, 2013
Make sure your student gets involved with clubs, or any sport, that builds camaraderie that helps focus study habits.

Posted May 02, 2013
The school could have a better school spirit if it isn't demeaning and that it does not make students feel uncomfortable.

Posted February 18, 2013
I have had two kids go through this school, the first one had bad experiences with teachers who wouldn't help or answer questions and I had a poor impression, however, when the second one entered and had some of those same, tough teachers I learned that there is more than one perspective as she was able to relate and work hard to get good grades -- this first one, not so much and now three years later admits she didn't work very hard, so I know not to take anything on face value.. The staff if courteous and the campus pretty safe, don't hear much of bulling nor fighting for the most part and the students seem very tolerant of each other, no matter what their differences. The school could use some revamping and it can be quite crowded and small. They could also use some new full-time math teachers as every year my kid has had some terrible substitutes teach classes abandoned due to personal situations, however those situations were handled with re-grading and/or re-testing and the outcomes were more than satisfactory -- given all of that, I think Pacifica offers a solid education and recommend it wholeheartedly..

Posted July 08, 2012
It's summer time right now, and I feel like this school needs a recent review. After summer I will be going into my junior year, and I will have been attending Pacifica for two years already. The teachers I have had so far really know how to teach an get information into your brain, if you really listen and study. I haven't had any ap or honors classes, and I don't really plan to yet, but none of my teachers were boring. They really know how to show their personalities and show that they care. I stay after school a lot because I don't live in Garden Grove and I have to wait to get picked up after my parent's job, and when you stay after school to do homework you know you can feel the safety this school has. A year before I attended I heard of violent fights, but there rarely is any, I only heard of ONE fight at the end of the year as a sophomore. There also was a new principal this year too, I find him a kind man, he is really good at supervising the campus teacher and making sure the students have the best education as possible. To be honest he is a lot more outgoing than the former one. Outgoing teachers, safe environment, responsible caring staff, and you can learn best.

Posted September 23, 2011
My daughter attended Pacifica for about 2 weeks. I have to admit that at first I was hesitant, but I was pleasantly surprised at how professional and kind the staff and teachers were to my daughter. Her experience there was positive and I now feel that if she ever has to return I can send her there without worry or regret. A good school as far as I can see, and trust me, I am a huge skeptic!

Posted July 23, 2011
I am currently attending Pacifica, and i have to say, i love it! I was diagnosed with ADHD AND depression this past year (my freshman year) and the counslers were VERY involved with both helping me strive in my schoolwork AND keeping me safe and out of harm. The teachers are great, some of the other students are....ugh...but the administration is great! I'm glad i attend this school! Go Marching Band!

Pacifica High School 1

Posted December 10, 2010
The teachers that one of the parents listed below are the only qualified teachers who care about the students future and kids can relate to them . The rest of the staff is terrible including administration. And I agree, long term teachers except for Mr. Roy is another good one can all go. They also have alot of new teachers there who don't know what their doing and grade terrible. Kids are constantly repeating classes at this school. If Garden Grove didn't have summer school what would they do? They also have a flood of kids who enter Hare school when they get behind because teachers have problems relating to students in teaching. Including all their rules is another reason why kids get so behind. They don't treat them like high school kids. This school is a prison and glad I got my kid out of here.

Pacifica High School
6851 Lampson Avenue, Garden Grove, CA  92845
Last modified Pacifica High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Pacifica High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 40 reviews. Top