No rating

St. Columban

Private | K-8 | 197 students

Living in Garden Grove

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $324,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,570.

Posted August 4, 2013

The Preschool staff is very caring. My son looks forward to going to school here. He has never cried when I have dropped him off. They work on your childs needs individually. My concerns are that they made it clear they have and will hold children back if they feel they are not both academically and emotionally ready to move on to pre-kindergarten and kindergarten. They also run the classroom with several groups doing different tasks, not like a typical classroom. I am concerned that when my child goes to kindergarten the transition will be more challenging. I am also concerned about the curriculum. It is not your typical alphabet, numbers, name recognition, etc. that I have noticed. Montessori run schools do things differently. The preschool also has 30 children (25 during the summer giver or take) . I prefer a smaller classroom.

Posted January 22, 2013

Teachers seem to be very caring and and teachers aid are great. We were mislead by the principal about my daughter being able to move up to the next grade level due to her birth date being so to the cut off date. She was only one of 2 students in pre-K that could read and did everything asked of her in class. She received awards and received the highest daily student participation possible. Yet the teacher would not vouch for her due to the principals change of stance on reviewing her mid year. The principal cancel our prearrange meetings with my daughter teacher and cancels our meeting with her. Only when we demand to see her does she show up to our appointments. She also mislead other parents and one parent left the school board do her shifting stories of the principal or allowing our kids to move up if they show enough progress. We have 3 children at this school and 2 has regressed academically since leaving the other private school they were in. My youngest daughter was reading adding & subtracting, spelling test before coming to this school in Pre-K class & stopped learning academically since being here. Try Holy Sacrament in Westminster is about half the cost.

Posted March 10, 2012

I got a lot out of this school. I got the personalized attention when needed as a child, and grew into a God loving person. The school cannot do everything. It also depends on the parents who help raise them up and reinforce what is taught here. I still think about all the good memories I had as a child here, attending the school from 2nd grade to 8th grade. Some memories included ice cream days, movie days, computer class(Playing oregon trail), music class, Ms. Orr's class, Ms. Anselmi's class, sports day, hot lunches, festivals, altar serving, science camp, science fair, library week, buying uniforms at vicki marshals, etc. I hope something like this will still be around when I have my own children. Sometimes it may seem as if its too hard/advanced, but why not aim for the moon and hit the stars, vs aim for a bird and hit the ground? Not all my peers turned out well, but I believe continued good habits such as continuing to go to church, grow with great family values, and attending a good high school and college can guide you to success as a citizen and as God's child.

Posted February 26, 2010

I love this school. My son is in Kindergarten and he's learning a lot from his teacher. He knows how to read a little booklet, how to add 3 digits numbers, and how to write a little story about the Christmas program. I'd like to thank the teachers and staffs there to help my son strive to the top in academic, discipline, and spiritual as he grows older.

Posted February 23, 2010

I love this school. After seeing how my kids have done in high school I am so pleased that they went to St. Columban School. I truly believe the successes they have had in high school are due to the education they received at St. Columban, both academically and spiritually.

Posted November 14, 2008

'Best Private School in Garden Grove' as designated in the Garden Grove Reader Survey of 2007.

Posted April 2, 2007

Great school, children get a great education above and beyond the public schools in the area. Only downfall is the pastor does not seem to care at all about the school, otherwise its a great place to send you kids if you can afford it.

Posted January 10, 2007

We have been there for 8 yrs. And we love it! Teachers are great! They have gotten alot from this school!

Posted July 29, 2006

After three years trying to have my children in this school, my husband and I feel sorry that we have earned nothing. We lost both money and time to this school, but our children do not gain any benefit. Beside that, we had to spend most of our time to study with our children on the projects that are over the grade level and their ability. We pay tuition for them to teach our children; otherwise, we have to do the job for them. We finally make the right decision by removing our children out of this school. If you are looking for good and quality school, full knowldege and understandable teacher, this is not the right school for your child.

Posted May 5, 2006

Teachers are great. Students are delightful. This school is great if you have the money. Principal is hard to work with.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Ms. Dawn Shea
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Orange