Gardena, CA

Gardena Elementary School 4

Posted September 26, 2012
I have had a wonderful experience at Gardena Elementary School as far as the education of my son. I know I can contact his teacher at any time if I have concerns. I parent my own child and I do not expect the teachers or staff to do so. Yes, there has been many changes in leadership but I believe the teachers do their best with what they are dealt with. I am concerned with the discipline at this school, but again that goes back to parenting. There is a new principal, the teachers and staff care about the education of the children and most parents here care. I support and believe in this school.

Posted September 13, 2012
Had a horrible experience at this school. My son attended Gardena Elementary from Kindergarten through 3rd grade before I finally pulled him out and transferred him to a different local school. Kindergarten was great, but Mrs. Miyamura retired the following school year. He never made any improvement. There were 2 principals in our time and they were both horrible. From my understanding, the principal was changed again last year. The lady in the front office is extremely rude. My sons CST scores were proficient in math and below basic in language arts while he was at Gardena. At his new school, he is now at a 425 in language arts and 600 in math. I would not reccomend this school to anybody. It needs a lot of work and they need to focus more on the students.

Gardena Elementary School 4

Posted October 16, 2011
I disagree with both parents. The teachers are very conscientious and hard working. The parent with the 5 and 6-year children should take responsibility for the fact that her son was responsible for more than half of what she described as "chaos" in the classroom.

Posted June 12, 2011
I have 2 children that attend this school. The Kindergarten teacher is soft spoken and doesn't had command over her class. She gives 5 and 6 years too much responsibility. In my son's classroom, the teacher has absolutely no control over the class. I have never seen so much chaos in a 1st grade classroom. In addition to lack of control, the homework assignments have way to many grammatical errors and many of the assignments don't make any sense. I feel bad for any child subjected to this type of learning environment. Both teachers are sweet people, but I feel that my children have not been challenged this year.

Gardena Elementary School 5

Posted March 13, 2009

Posted February 24, 2009
I could not agree more with the parent that said it a much better school when Mr. Romero was there. Unfortunately my child is only in 3rd grade so I still have 2 more years there. I'm disappointed with the way things are. I'll be happy when our days at Gardena Elementary are in the past. But on the brighter side my children have been fortunate enough to have really great teachers' so I am thankful for that.

Posted January 25, 2009
This school has seen better days in its time. I have seen the difference in moral between the former principal, Mr. Romero, and the actual one, Ms. McCarthy. During Romero's time, the school was clean, everyone was on task, and scores were soaring. This new principal lacks people skills, does not support the teachers, and blames the school's failures on everyone except herself. The only thing the keeps this school going is the teachers and aides who are the only ones the truly want to help the children out. I do believe the school needs new administration if it wants to see improvement.

Posted November 17, 2008

Gardena Elementary School 3

Posted August 08, 2008

Posted July 10, 2008
when mr. romero and mr drew were there this school was great. they taught us to how to enjoy learning and how to keep the school clean. now i've noticed that ever since ms. mcarthy is there the school has slipped. ms. mccathy has no control over the students. she never leaves her office. she doesnt encourage students to learn. when i used to go there there were programs for the gate students and now there are none. i believe that this school desperately needs a new principal.

Gardena Elementary School
647 West Gardena Boulevard, Gardena, CA  90247
Last modified Gardena Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Gardena Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top