1,475 students|Gilroy Unified

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Effective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered School leader (1 response)

Grateful to: School leader

Posted September 16, 2015
The school leadership! Cleaned house and turned things around! Keep it up, I have two more going through GHS!

Gilroy High School 5

Posted September 16, 2015
Great opportunities for students! The school has really turned around in the last few years!

Gilroy High School 5

Posted September 07, 2015
Heard horror stories about Gilroy. Read the great schools reviews and noticed that the review were quite a while ago. I moved to the area and was concerned. I called school and asked to speak to the principal... I was amazed that he was available and answered all my questions. He asked me if I wanted to visit the school with my daughter. He took us for a tour! I was very surprised to see a very neat orderly and clean school. I talked to a few teachers and were very positive and enthusiastic about the school. My daughter is enrolled now and is having a great time! The campus is beautiful...impressed so far!! Looking real good.

Gilroy High School 4

Posted September 06, 2015
The majority of the staff genuinely care about the kids at GHS. Their expectations for students are that they will be productive and creative, caring members of society and many of the staff live and teach by that philosophy.. I've been a teacher here for 17 years and have seen the school change dramatically from being overcrowded with aging facilities and huge teacher and administration turn over rates, to now a beautiful campus with a strong administration team and teachers and students who truly care about the students, school, and each other. I feel the difference daily in my attitude and especially the students' attitudes. A true vibe of pride in ourselves, each other, and our school.

Teacher effectiveness: Somewhat effective

Posted September 06, 2015
There are some extremely effective teachers at this school and some not at all. But the majority are effective.

Develops respect: Agree

Posted September 06, 2015
Yes.. Especially when we reflect with our students on the six pillars of Character Counts.

Develops empathy: Agree

Posted September 06, 2015
I agree that we do and I have witnessed the students' compassion and empathy countless times over the years. Teachers like Jeff Manker who teaches science consistently provides students with opportunities to care for the environment on a personal and group level. And compassion and empathy is at the core of Janet Lavelle's anti-bullying club. Saying that, I would like to see more community outreach and involvement by the students and teachers . I would love for students to have even more opportunity to really show what they can do in service to society and the world. Wouldn't it be great if each discipline had a particular program for students to volunteer and not only get their service hours, but learn even more what it means to be part of an actively caring society.

Develops honesty: Agree

Posted September 06, 2015
Many of the teachers actually teach strong positive character integrated into their subjects. Also, they walk the walk they expect their students to walk.

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted September 02, 2015
I have never been a fan of overwhelming kids with hours of homework. When all the classes have projects and homework that can be the case.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted September 02, 2015
GHS has more AP classes than the competing high school in town. Also, GHS's science department is AMAZING.

750 West Tenth Street, Gilroy, CA  95020-6333
Last modified Gilroy High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.