Gilroy, CA
Students enrolled: 1,475

Gilroy High School 1

Posted September 27, 2013
While at this high school (I graduated in 99) there was a high teacher turnover rate, it's mindboggling to me that this is STILL the case. I am not shocked to read about former students feeling left behind, without adequate preparation for higher education institutes, etc. While there we were experimented on with an "integrated math" program where they would mix elements of algebra with trig, calc, etc. How could you ask me to do trig/calc before learning the basics of algebra?! Yet this is what happened and I was never able to recover from the confusion, I believe something outlandish like 70% of my class was FAILING math. I wonder why?! I hate that I was a guinea pig, I also hate that they only focused on my graduating high school and nothing beyond that. This is a diploma mill, a farm for mediocrity! If your child goes here, you'll have to pick up a lot of slack at home. I recommend a private high school, trust me, it's a wise investment in your future! Bad school all around except perhaps the choir program and AP classes.

Posted March 29, 2010
I was a student in Gilroy High and my experience there was for the most part not good. I did meet some wonderful teacher there that within a couple of months were probably discouraged because of the lack of interest for the children and lack of money given to schools and teachers

Gilroy High School 1

Posted March 28, 2008

Posted December 28, 2007

Gilroy High School 5

Posted August 16, 2007
This school has a huge turnover of teachers. The ones that are there are great. The AP classes are excellent. (English, Physics, History, and Spansh) The only problem is that the school has a huge number of students that really don't care about education.

Gilroy High School 0

Posted July 10, 2007
I graduated two years ago and am now in the middle of obtaining a college degree from a reasonably prestigious school. From what I remember, GHS was a rather normal and average school. It had its dances, sports, range of courses, and a wide spectrum of teachers. My only wish is that GHS would have built up its science program, which is weak because of insufficient student interest. I was inadequately prepared for many of science courses in college compared to my peers who were from more affluent and educated areas. Aside from that, I was blessed to have several inspirational and helpful teachers, who helped me get into college as a low income, first generation student. No, GHS is no Stanford prep, but overall, it is what a typical high school should be. (However, I also supplemented my course work with extra studies before AP courses.)

Posted October 10, 2006
- a former student
Attending Gilroy High School was one of the biggest mistakes in my educational career. I felt as if to be perpetually misplaced, and had extreme difficulty finding the enthusiasm to further my education amongst 2400 students whom didn't care about theirs. I felt during my time at GHS, the staff was focusing their time on at-risk students, and catering to high-achieving students, leaving no time for the average student. The beginning of each new year at Gilroy, brought new extreme changes to the math program, leaving no continuity to previous teachings; and leaving students far under-prepared for higher-educational level courses. What's done is done now, but if I had the option to start over, I would have enrolled in a private school, without question; where the students at least want to learn. I have spent the years after GHS trying to catch up to what I should have already learned.

Gilroy High School 3

Posted May 29, 2006
- a former student
The school is neither good nor bad. It lacks the proper programs to facilitate a young adults willingness to attend college or actually prepare them for one. School facilities are in need of improvements. Music program is excellent. Choir is among tops.

Gilroy High School 5

Posted March 28, 2006

Gilroy High School 4

Posted March 21, 2006
Most people think of Gilroy high as a bad or not an xcellent school. The only way a parent will get to know this school better is by actually asking your kid or visiting the school. So many activities are available and the diverse ethnic statuslts kids learn from each other.We have a great camps and adding more to it. Our sports clubs are county knowned. We are stars in Baxketball and Football. All in all Gilroy High is not that bad.

Gilroy High School
750 West Tenth Street, Gilroy, CA  95020
Last modified Gilroy High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Gilroy High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 20 reviews. Top