K-12|Private
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

This year marks Tobinworld's 35 year serving students with Autism, Learning Disabilities, Emotional Disturbance and Other Health Impairments. Our positive behavior program is noted by the California Department of Education as being the "Best in the State." Our admission policy offers an excellent opportunity for students who have had difficulty being successful in other schools. We believe that our exceptional staff/student ratio (3:1, often 1:1) and exemplary behavior program, based on the principles of Applied Behavior Analysis, affords students the best chance of meeting his or her educational and behavioral goals. Many of our students successfully transition back into the public school system. Others opt to continue at Tobinworld to avail themselves of the many vocational and life skills opportunities provided. Tobinworld is the best Non-Public School in the State as evaluated by the California Department of Education. Noted in the commendations from reviewers are the unique vocational opportunities for students: Tobinworld Treasures, a near campus retail store employing students of Tobinworld teaching customer service, stocking and cash and credit transactions; Baskin Robbins, an on campus reward store managed by students and serving as a job skills bridge to working in a Baskin Robbins in the student's neighborhood as a regular employee; and our Inclusion Films theater arts program, providing students the opportunity to gain insight into the "the Industry" in and around the Los Angeles area. As a very happy employee of Tobinworld who started as a middle school teacher twenty years ago I invite you to visit us at: www.tobinworld.org
September 21, 2012

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Sylvia Lougheed is the principal for the Brill School of Autism, a part of Tobinworld. She is professional, knowelgable, and always takes extra time to address the concerns of parents; best of all, she is bilingual. I can't tell you how great it is to speak with a concerned administrator who can communicate with me without a translator! It matters more than I thought! The opportunites presented by the staff are outstanding and students with Autism are always included in school activities, not something that I found a regular occurance in other schools. If you are looking for an excellent program then Tobinworld, and especially the Brill School of Autism, is the place for you!

I never saw an excellent school like this before. If any problem comes up the staff and administration take care of it right away. I am so happy with this school I decided to keep my son here until graduation. I wish I could keep him here longer! Judy Weber, the school director, is outstanding, helpful and caring. If anyone needs Non Public School services Tobinworld is worth the drive no matter what. I've never experienced a school with such caring, qualified and excellent staff in my life.

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted September 21, 2012

My son has been attending Tobinworld since July 2003. I am very disappointed in the fact that he is in 9th grade and has hardly been taught any algebra. I am looking into having him mainstreamed next year, and will not have him graduate from a high school that does not even send textbooks home to do homework. His homework is all one page printouts from the computer. This is unacceptable. My son is also to the point where he does not want to go to Tobinworld anymore, and he wants to be part of a normal high school atmosphere. Tobinworld does not even do yearbooks for the kids at the school-- which is a total shame! I am getting very disappointed in the fact that my son is not getting the education that he is supposed to be getting/receiving.

Last modified Tobinworld is a Private school that serves grades K-12