K-6|Private

Bad
Good

At 21 years I can still say that this school was the happiest time of my own life and my brother's. It instilled in both of us a wonder and thirst for learning that has not been quenched in all these years. This is the only school of which I am aware that encourages innovation in children; we were able to choose our activities at all times, and treated like the intelligent little five-year-olds or six-year-olds we were. I agree that negative commenters must have mistaken this school for another. Students were never pressured to perform, and this school had the loosest rules that I encountered (I afterwards went to other schools that were nowhere near as nice).

My son has attended Glendale Montessori since he was 2.5. He's now 10 and in the fifth grade. We were lucky and they expanded from only going up to the 2nd grade to offer all the way to 6th. All the teachers and staff have been wonderful, but the 1st & 2nd grades with Hal and Terri are magical. I cannot express what amazing teachers they are: warm, encouraging, full of enthusiasm. I know my son will treasure the time he spent with them. As I look now for a junior high, i know that my kid has a quest for knowledge that cannot be extinguished. I feel so grateful to have stumbled upon this school. I was not familiar with Montessori when we arrived but I see now how working at your own pace helps all the children. If your child is interested in moving more quickly ahead they are encouraged, and if your child has learning disabilities they are able to proceed at their own pace without stigma. I also appreciate the lack of parental involvement. There are no fund raisers or room parents. My friends who have kids at other schools seem to be in a constant state of silent auction planning. It's like a full time job. I'm super happy to not have to do that!

I feel like the negative reviews below must surely be about a different school because they contrast so completely with our own experience here, and with those of the other families we know who go here. Perhaps these families meant to review the other similarly named Montessori school in Glendale - the one on Pacific vs. this one on Doran? Though come to think of it, I've never heard anything but praise for that school as well. Anyway, our daughter has been at this school for two years, and we find it to be such a lovely, warm and pressure-free educational environment. Our daughter has learned so much, but her learning is, in the true Montessori tradition, self-directed rather than teacher-led. It's true that the class sizes are fairly large, but that's actually entirely consistent with the Montessori philosophy, which values independence and gives children the space and time to work on their own rather than under the constant supervision or with the constant direction of a teacher. Every child is different I guess, but mine loves this school, and I would highly recommend it.

We could not be happier with our decision to send our children to this very special school. Despite the learning differences between our two boys, they have both been able to flourish and soar under the care and tutelage of the teachers. We feel that great care and attention has been given to both boys. The teachers are gifted, caring, know their craft and truly love what they do. We feel blessed and believe that our children have been given the best foundation for learning and to further their future education.

Children are pressured to perform. We thought we were getting a Montessori education, but we had a child that felt bad about herself because she was pressured to read at 4. We were told she would have to repeat kindergarten. The spark in her eyes disappeared and she would cry not to go to school. The class sizes got bigger and bigger, until they swelled to nearly 30 students per class. This school describes itself as having 60 students, but it is more like 106. Some children get lost in a large class and cannot attain their true potential. Since she left this school, the spark has returned and her confidence is flourishing.

This is a school that understands and nurtures every child as an individual while helping them learn to be a constructive member of the school as a whole. Our son was identified as having learning difficulties in 1st grade, two grades earlier than dyslexia is typically identified. They helped us find a great specialist teacher to help and integrated his extra tuition seamlessly into the normal day. The school is currently expanding to take kids through to 6th grade, eliminating the difficult task of finding a school of equal quality for those vital formative years.

We did not feel comfortable in continuing to send our child to this school with a number of discrepancies there were, especially in regard to classroom management techniques or lack of.

If you are guiding principal in life is rules, this is the school for you. My child was treated badly, by a smiling teacher who continually quoted arbitrary rules. Quite honestly, I found the place inhumane and still apologize to my son for sending him there. They talk a good game, so beware.

Daughter of a true Montessorian. My mother owned a Montessori school for over 30 years. This is one of the best schools in Cali. Can't say enough. Teachers care about their children. Kids are happy and are excited about learning. They are doing everything right at this school. A MUST-SEE for parents looking for a school for their child!!

Both of my children attended this school from PreK through 2nd grade. This is a true Montessori school, from the teachers to the classroom materials to the guiding philosophy, they stay true to the Montessori method, so you should be familiar with that if you're going to choose this school. That being said, we loved this school. Children are encouraged to follow their innate curiosity rather than just stick to the lesson plan. Most any school can teach a child the basics of reading, writing and math - but to accomplish that without squashing that natural joy of discovery with which they all enter school is another matter and to do it in an environment that respects the child's individuality is even more rare. This school fosters a sense of respect and inclusiveness that is really something special - there are no cliques or bullies, and yes, that starts in 1st and 2nd grade, but there is zero tolerance for that here, not because the teachers are strict (they are loving and nurturing) but because respect is the guiding principal of the school and it informs every interaction.

Last modified Glendale Montessori School is a Private school that serves grades K-6