Balboa Elementary School

Public | K-6

Posted July 17, 2014

Balboa Elementary is not a diverse school. I was an active parent volunteering and part of the PTA. But if you are not Areminian you and your child are segregated. My child's teacher ran her second grade class with unrealistic strict guidelines. At times 7-9 sheets of homework! Really? How much can a 6-7 yr retain. When my concerns were brought to her and the principal's attention nothing was done. My request for an assessment were ignored. For three years my child received report cards stating he was performing below grade level and somehow he was passed onto the next grade. My child has suffered with severe anxiety towards school and started not wanting to go to school. The anxiety developed when he would be timed on his reading and math!! Ridiculous that a child is made to suffer in such a manner! Shame on you Mrs Richter for running a school that is only concerned about test scores and drilling our children. Balboa is the poster school of what is wrong with our school systems today and why the importance of education is lost in todays youth! Good riddance Balboa and disappointing staff!

Posted June 9, 2014

This school is fantastic. As for all the parents complaining about lack of diversity, more than half of Glendale's population is Armenian. Do you expect Balboa to pick and choose its students? Do you think it's a part of a conspiracy? It's like sending your children to school in Chicago and complaining that 90% of the students are African Americans. Your comments are ridiculous. It is human behavior to socialize with and be comfortable around people who you can relate with and it is obvious that the language is one type of familiarity between the adolescents. Why do you take offense at your children taking Armenian and learning the language. If your concerns are truly valid, you should encourage diversity by having your child learn Armenian and set a precedent. However, you choose to complain about diversity.

Posted May 20, 2014

I recently moved to the area and I am very unsatified with this school. There is no cultural diversity here, about 90% of the population is Armenian, they are rude and they don't speak English. I plan to move my daughter out of this school. Faculty and staff seem to care just about keeping a high API so they can look as good as other schools in GUSD. The office staff is horrible, no manners, no people skills. Just because there is not education required to become office staff doesn't justify their rudeness and lack of empathy.

Posted February 15, 2014

My son is a recent transfer student to Balboa and I am honestly beyond disappointed. As the previous review states there is no diversity here; my child is of mixed race and is constantly ostracized and made fun of. Almost the entire office staff is rude or unfriendly and from day 1 we did not feel welcomed. The teachers are strict which I don't mind but its almost to the point where its run like a military academy. We have not been on one field trip and its February and there are no creative projects. My child has had a horrible time adjusting and now dreads going to school every morning. As a parent it has been heartbreaking and we will NOT be returning next year.

Posted November 4, 2013

My kids are attending Balboa Elementary School in Glendale. This is their first year and so far, I'm very happy with the education they are receiving. Their teacher is very nice, yet strict. I have volunteered couple of times in the classroom and I was very satisfied with what I observed. The school seems to be very clean, but the bathrooms do need work. I wish they could monitor it more often. There are kids from all kinds of nationalities, same goes for teachers and staff. I have not seen any mistreatment so far. Balboa Elementary is located in a very safe and nice neighborhood. It's a very good school.

Posted October 13, 2013

I am so extreamly disappionted with this school. Starting with the front office. I have only experianced a negative energy almost like I am always in the way. Never someone to help sign out a child or answer a question. They lack knowledge as to how things should be to. The whole staff including the Kindergarten Teachers I have come into contact with seems to lack overall Human Kindness. My son was hurt ( Stitches were Required) during school hours and they were NOT helpful to him or myself. Also the other parents are pretty hard. Almost all Armenians! Not Caucasian. SO if you dont look like them they segregate you. It is terrible.... Also it seems the school DOES NOT have the childerns best interest as there number 1 priority. What matters most to this school seems to be there very strict Policies. The curriculum is good and school grounds are very nice. The only positive things I can say about Baboa school. You have to ask yourself what matters most to you as a parent. A school who teaches to be positive and careing young childern or Stictly based on there neatness of school work and school policies ect. I am not one to write reviews, I wish I had known this aspect. :(

Posted October 10, 2013

This is my daughters second years attending to this school. I'm so satisfied by principle, teachers and staffs.

Posted September 26, 2013

I've had great memories at Balboa Elementary. Very good teachers, friendly environment, and a very safe school.

Posted September 24, 2013

I have been a parent at Balboa Elementary school for 8 years. I didn't even research the schools when we first registered, basically it was being the closest to us that mattered. Now, I can tell it is one of the best schools in the area. Balboa has a high API score thanks to the leadership and the teachers. Sending our kids to Balboa was the best step we took for our kids future.

Posted September 10, 2013

This school is a great school. Kids deserve to have everything needed for their education and growing.

Posted August 23, 2013

i love my kid school and i want the be more good i love the school

Posted September 13, 2012

Balboa school is the best. The teachers are smart, and friendly. The staff are nice. My two son's are happy. I love this school.

Posted July 30, 2012

I love this school It treats everyone the same and has no bad teachers or staff. I went from mommy and me and will continue until the end. Excellent school no problem with it.

Posted April 27, 2011

The standards, I feel, have dropped at this school since we started. At first this was a very nice little school, over the years, classes have gotten bigger, budget cuts made, teachers have left and the cultural mix becomes so diverse that I am often at the gate with no one else speaking english around me. My children all say everyone speaks armenian around them, and I think they feel isolated too. The teachers try hard, but we have seen this school really drop.

Posted March 21, 2011

I don't know what school Dec 2008 was visiting - but it wasn't Balboa. Balboa is a fantastic school with a very dedicated Principal, staff, and much involved PTA and parent base. There are monthly activities such as Halloween Pumpkin Patch, Father-Daughter Dance socials, and Spring Fling Carnival to name a few. With a tradition of good involved parent volunteers who help bring Music and Arts programs to the classrooms and help the kids. Yes, the population is primarily Armenian. But we also have a large population of Hispanic and Asian. So it is by no means one dimensional. Speaking a particular language has never been required or stressed. And of all my years as a parent at Balboa - a child has nevered simply "walked out the gates." Is Balboa perfect ?- certainly not. But for a public school - I can not imagine much better

Posted November 21, 2009

Balboa is a really good school. The teahers students and the staff are really nice. allthough the food needs to be improved. Everything else is great.
—Submitted by a student

Posted December 15, 2008

As far as education goes this school is fine. However, culturally and socially this school is horrible. There is almost zero diversity at Balboa and students who are picked on for not being part of the majority get very little support from the faculty in those matters. I was even told that if I want my child to fit in I should enroll him in classes where he can learn to speak Armenian. The administrative staff has been unfriendly, unhelpful and even hostile at times and the lack of supervision after school is ridiculous. Children are allowed to wander out of the gates without anyone watching.

Posted September 26, 2007

I pulled my daughter out of a private school and enrolled her in balboa last year during Kindergarten. I was very happy with the teacher and and the academics. She learned how to read and write in a 2nd grade level. I love the monthly spirtit rallies and the fact the principal knows every child by name. I made the best decision last year and am very happy with her 1st grade teacher this year.

Posted August 28, 2007

This is a neighborhood school that truly feels as though the community is involved. My chidren have attended for the past five years, during which the scores and programs have continued to improve. The PTA is active, as is the Booster Club, though as is typical a small number of parents run the activities of both. The principal is strict and yet imbues a sense of fun into the academics, with monthly spirit rallies and theme days. Seasonal schoolwide activities also help bring out the comraderie among students. The vast majority of the teachers I have encountered are incredibly dedicated to their profession and the students, and find ways to teach the standards that still allow for creativity and fun in the classroom. I would highly recommend this school to anyone considering moving to this pocket of NW Glendale.

Posted August 6, 2006

The teachers and principal are caring and responsive. Facilities are nice. The school administration is somewhat disorganized as far as procedures for picking up and dropping off children. The cultural majority of the students is Armenian. The major drawback to this school is the lack of cultural diversity. This is especially apparent in the lower grades, where in my child's class there are only 2 non-Armenians in a class of about 25 students. If this school had a more diverse population, I would rate it much higher.

This school's

(2012)

9 / 10

10 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

9 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

10 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

98 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

98 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

84 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

84 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students79%

• Lena Richter
Fax number
  • (818) 241-5557

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1844 Bel Aire Drive