Glendale, CA
Students enrolled: 2,097

Posted September 30, 2014
Hoover's Art Department is amazing and the principal Dr. Earl is forward thinking and cares a lot about students and staff. This is a great school for smart and creative kids who enjoy thinking critically and challenging themselves academically.

Herbert Hoover High School 4

Posted June 12, 2013
Hoover is a pretty good school if you are enrolled in the AP or honors programs. There's a pretty big difference between AP classes and regular classes in this school. My regular classes have a handful of desperate, loud students seeking attention by being rude. My honors and AP classes are full of students who are committed with their school work and at the same time are very easy to get along with. Beware of the terrible math teachers in Hoover!

Posted November 08, 2012
The cleanest , more secure school and clean record in the whole other schools . we had a bad experience last year in private school ,so after search, we found Hoover high school is the best for my daughter .because teachers are polite , more understanding,more patient and the most important thing no discrimination between A's student and lower student .

Herbert Hoover High School 2

Posted September 02, 2011
we thought this school was going to be great, but my sister has had the worst experience so far with the kids. She has been the victim of terrible racism and is constantly made fun of for her skin color and how she looks. It's crazy that this is going on, she just moved in with me from Ohio and is a very nice straight A honors student, the parents of these children should be very embarrassed.

Posted April 26, 2011
This is a nice school in a beautiful city with great people. Low crime area with high standards. A lot of Armenian kids which is a plus.

Posted June 06, 2009
This school tops off about all the schools in the GUSD. I have been to Clark High School, Glendale High School, and the best one is Hoover. Hoover offers so many AP classes that the other schools do not offer. Hoover also offers the BETA and VAPA program which are special awards for students who take at least 5 simesters of a business class or arts. This school is the only school in the GUSD that offers 'Virutal Enterprise' which is a great class for students to learn about businesses today and gets you prepared for the real world. Unfortunatly the only dowwnfall to this school is the construction. It has been said it wil be done by the start of the 09-10 school year but we are not sure. Overall If you live in the Glendale/La Crescenta you should attend Hoover High School.

Posted October 16, 2008
Unfortunately after many visits to this hi school & being involved with other parents, I have to say that there's the minimum standards in any possible category for this hi school. students smoking, gambling & using lots of profanity during & after school hours is a regular . This school definitely needs lot more attention, either from staff & parents as well.

Posted June 07, 2008
I am a former student. I have subsequently done quite well, partly because of the great education that I received in this school. I know other past students who have done quite well as well. The bottom line is: This school is great; however, like anything in life, if one does not put in the effort, one will not succeed. All the problems listed in these reviews are irrelevant. I think that if one is willing to work hard, one can definitely flourish in this school. If one is disinterested, one will not do well. I wish all the people complaining about this school had a chance to go to other countries in which education is considered a priviledge and not a right and in which people value the opportunity so much that they are willing to work and do not look for defects in the system.

Posted February 23, 2008
My son just graduated from Hoover Higher School in 2007. He is attending University of CA San Diego. He graduated from Hoover as top 4%. Mr. Welsh, the principal is the best. He knew my son since he was attending the elementary school in the GUSD. If parents feel this school is so bad, why not send your kids elsewhere instead of all the complaining that I see here. It takes parents involvement instead of just expecting the school to do it all for the child. My son is very well known in this school district due to my husband and I, with our involvement in his studies, volunteering in his schools (both elementary and High school years) also he was involved in every academic competition that was there and because of his acamdemic accomplishments, our son is well known in the school district due to his academic achievements.

Posted September 29, 2007
This is my child's first year at Hoover after transferring in from a private school. So far, I have been very happy with her teachers and have had the utmost cooperation from the counselors. (She has some special needs and they have been extremely supportive.) The curriculum seems quite rigorous, and they have many interesting electives from which to choose. The worst things about Hoover are the overcrowding and the fact that as a public school, they have to take all students. Tha means even those that cause discipline problems and who have no interest in being there. Unfortunately, unlike in our former private school, fights are not a rare occurence here. This is always the challenge with public high schools it seems. Despite this, my child is happy here and I agree that academically, Hoover offers a great deal to motivated students.

651 Glenwood Road, Glendale, CA  91202
Last modified Herbert Hoover High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Herbert Hoover High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 32 reviews. Top