Glendale, CA

John Muir Elementary School 3

Posted April 26, 2015
This school has great potential. The teachers are experienced and committed, and the surrounding community and parents are active and supportive. Unfortunately, the principal lacks leadership, vision, and passion, and parents who can are looking for a way out. Look at the websites for other gusd elementary schools and see the difference. Muir doesn't even have a website. Teachers are not being supported and are being scapegoated. A toxic culture is developing and teachers are afraid to speak up. The principal makes excuses and empty promises, but seems clueless about how to run a school. Community and school resources are not being utilized productively. Help GUSD! Please save us! This ship is sinking fast.

John Muir Elementary School 2

Posted March 07, 2015
Muir is one of the schools in the district with a Spanish dual immersion program. There is very low parent involvement compared to our home school. There are few green areas or shade for the children but I believe the administration is working on that. My big complaint with the school is that a new teacher who seems stressed with children is allowed to tell parents that she does not want parent volunteers in the class. This seems unwise and parents and the administration should be wary of a kindergarten teacher refusing parent volunteers. Morning drop off often means parking 3 blocks away from the school and walking in, but that might be a common problem with area schools.

John Muir Elementary School 1

Posted December 02, 2014
The front office is rude. So sick of their attitude. Can't help but wonder if they are so unhappy why don't the look for another place of employment. It could also be that the head of the school is setting the tone for the 'meet and greet' to be so disrespectful. Either way this school needs an overhaul of their front office. On one person in particular.

Posted May 07, 2014
My son has attended John Muir for 6 years now and I couldn't be more pleased. Even with the ridiculous amounts of budget cuts to our public schools, Muir has steadily improved its API scores. The teachers are wonderful and highly experienced. The PTA and fundraising committees are excellent. Our Spanish Immersion program is a big hit bringing in great families from all around Glendale! My son's fifth grade class was introduced to Chrome books this year which has been fantastic. Now that the money is trickling back into our schools where it belongs, I only see great things in store for John Muir! I'll be sorry to leave next year. This is a wonderful school and Adam's Hills residents should definitely send their kids to Muir. I'm so happy I did!

Posted August 27, 2013
I attended this school from kindergarten until sixth grade and they were literally the best. My teachers were always engaging and class was looked forward to. I never felt left behind or confused in any way. John Muir is an amazing school and I always tried my best there because I was motivated not because I was told to. John muir does have its flaws like any school but it does NOT overpower all the good stuff. I did not enjoy the music program and that's really the only thing I disliked. Go mustangs!!

Posted July 18, 2013
Muir is a very good school. Teachers are intelligent, nice, and caring. I guarantee you that if your child attends Muir u nor your child will regret it. They have an awesome principle Dr. Junge. She is why we have an awesome school that everyone likes. If you have a child who is going to 6th grade at Muir, I'm telling you she/he won't regret it. John Muir is like a second home to all the students because the teachers act like good loving parents to all the students, and all the teachers and staff treat everyone equally. My years that I went there I saw that there was no favoritism in any way possible. Your children are very safe at Muir. GO MUSTANGS!!!

Posted July 04, 2013
My son just finished kindergarten in the Spanish dual immersion program- it's great. I'm so thrilled we found John Muir.

Posted March 13, 2013
I am a 2012 graduate of this school, and I believe this is the most safe and disciplined learning environment in all of GUSD. If you are still debating if you should enroll your children, I HIGHLY recommend it. The instructors are understanding, polite, and hardworking. John Muir has brought English language learners to become honor students. Teachers and staff will do all they can to ensure a promising future. I still consider this school my home, even though I've moved on into a more challenging era of my life.

Posted November 05, 2012
It has been an amazing year for my daughter...the teachers are dedicated, kind and never have i once heard my daughter complain...

Posted October 06, 2011
John Muir is a wonderful school. The Principal, Dr. Junge is outstanding. She is caring and completely involved with her students, parents and the community. The teachers are amazing. They are hardworking, approachable and considerate. The PTA is extremely active. Lots of events and a very busy board - more parents should get involved in school events, it really helps to feel like a part of the school. My child and I love our school and are so happy to be a part of this wonderful community.

John Muir Elementary School
912 South Chevy Chase Drive, Glendale, CA  91205
Last modified John Muir Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
John Muir Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top