Glendale, CA
Before care: Yes

Posted March 25, 2014
As directors and performers of The Grail Theatre of Britain, my wife and I visit hundreds of schools every year. We are a little like chambermaids - we see everything! Salem Lutheran is an outstanding school. In an uncertain economy, enrollment here is up and that tells its own story. The principal sets very high standards from the top and is fully committed to enrichment and arts programs for her students. The behavior of the students during our performances is exemplary. A vibe of excellence runs through this school - we don't have children ourselves, but if we did, we would have no hesitation in enrolling them here!

Posted October 23, 2013
I can't say enough about Salem Lutheran School - it is the best school!!!!!! You know you are in the right school when your kids never want to miss a day of school and get excited for Mondays as they go back for the school week! Just to share an example -I had to take my son out of class early one day and he literally would not leave, the school Secretary finally asked me to go and get him from class as he does not want to go home. My son is in JK and my daughter also has been attending Salem for a few years now. to make a long story short he left but was crying the whole way home because I took him out of his class. From the Principal to all the teachers and TA's they are all amazing! It's like one big family:) I had toured quite a few schools but as soon as I went to Salem Lutheran I knew this was the school and I can't tell you how gratifying it is to see how happy my kids are to be there:))) Also academically it's amazing as well (my son in JK already reads so many of his sight words). My daughter is excelling in all subjects. What more can a parent ask for. It's great teamwork between parents and the school. I highly recommend Salem Lutheran School.

Posted September 09, 2013
I am pleased to inform how great this school is. My son joined it since JK with 5 years old and now with 8 years old he is in 2nd grade. His development is being outstanding so far in all areas. What is so special about this school is that we feel we are all part of the same family and you do have an 1to1 treatment with the school's staff. I do follow up my son's progress via gradelink what is a benefit provided by the school. I am very happy so far and I am sure if you give this school a chance, you won't regret.

Posted May 27, 2013
Great school, with fantastic teachers. Mrs Anita and many other teachers are hard to find. I would not let my child to go anywhere else.

Salem Lutheran School 4

Posted May 14, 2013
I don't think families leaving is new or particular to Salem. There are also families coming in to Salem and coming back after leaving. Academically, things have improved a bit. I think math was too easy but I have to say with the new books, things have picked up. I'm happy my child is learning Algebra/Geometry concepts and essay writing in the 4th grade. (But Salem is not a 5-star school either nor does it have an unparalleled academics - that's going too far). No school is perfect. The small school feel of Salem is one thing that makes it a private school. I also live in an area with excellent public schools and took a look at them. The 35 students in 5th grade compared to 18 in my kid's class at Salem is just not comparable. So while Salem can stand to improve in many aspects, i.e. a more approachable principal who needs to loosen her grip, better use of technology, communication, parental organization/involvement, it has many pluses. One of them is the fantastic staff who watch our kids before/after school (and helping them to do homework) as well as during breaks and lunches. They are the shining stars in addition to most of the teachers who educate our children.

Posted January 26, 2013
I am honored to be a parent at Salem Lutheran School. I am grateful for the phenomenal education my daughter is receiving at Salem. It is unlike any other school I have seen. Truly top notch! I appreciate all the hard work and care of the teachers and principal. They truly care about the students. Salem Lutheran School is a wonderful school, has unparalleled academics, well rounded in the arts and technology, great athletic programs, and God centered atmosphere.

Salem Lutheran School 1

Posted January 14, 2013
Don't be fooled by the comments below. 10 families left last year and many do every year. Eventually people figure out it is NOT WORTH the money! It does not have a private school feel. Not with the administration or the parents. The academics are extremely disappointing. No math or science. No real essay writing until 5th or 6th grade. Papers are hardely corrected. You children's friends end up leaving and the original class from K is usually only down to about 4 or 5 kids by the upper grades. I didn't want to pull my kids out of their familiar surroundings, but this will be their last year. I have a decent public school in my area and their test scores are about the same. It used to be great at this school. The beloved pastors all left and you can supplement bible studies at home. Very minimal christian influence. Teachers are banned from parent organization meetings and parents don't even show up to functions. The principal just smiles but never takes your suggestions into consideration. It's her show. Safety is okay but plenty of homeless hand around trying to get on campus looking for a handout. The church sometimes feeds the homeless on the weekends.

Posted January 06, 2013
We simply love Salem! The education is great. Salem is high in technology. Smartboards in all classrooms. The morning and afternoon daycare is so convenient for our busy schedule. The daycare staff engage the children with fun activities and they supervise homework. Also, Salem has a variety of after school programs. They added dance this year. The ballet teacher is just amazing!

Posted September 11, 2012
After moving to the area, we could not be happier with the teaching and the experience at Salem. The teachers care tremendously about the kids, and the administration runs a great program, that is wholly focused on providing the best education for the kids. Salem is a great school that is truly focused on Christ.

Posted May 05, 2011
Fantastic teachers and leadership. I could not see my 5 year old attending any other school.

Salem Lutheran School