No rating

Montrose Christian Montessori School

Private | K-6 | 69 students

Living in Glendale

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $452,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,510.

In the know: Get our expert advice on schools

No articles are available

Posted January 3, 2011

Sending my (2) children to MCMS was the best decision I ever made. The teachers as well as the new owner show a sincere interest in the students' well-being. I appreciate how approachable both my son's and daughter's teachers have been and from these conversations I can tell they have gotten to know my children's personalities well. While it's true the school is structured, I don't see that structure as confining. Rather, I feel the structure teaches students to be self-motivated and independent. Also, while parent involvement has been lacking in the past, the new owner has welcome parents to organize. I recommend MCMS to any parent who is looking for a school that nurtures their child academically, emotionally, and spiritually.

Posted December 9, 2010

My daughter began attending MCMS when she was two, in the preschool program. As a full-time working mom, I so appreciated that the youngest children are taught social skills and practical life skills. She never went through the "terrible twos"! At kindergarten we tried out a charter school near our home, but moved her back to MCMS because she just didn't learn anything that MCMS hadn't already taught her. The teachers at this school are Montessori-certified, and they also include as part of the curriculum skills and knowledge that will help the students with the California standards testing. Additional important inclusions: art education (both art history and practical forms), PE and sports, before- and after-school care 7a-6p, and special after-school programs such as foreign language, cooking, etc. (for which the children are polled to determine interests). Best of all, the teachers all are kind, dedicated, and really know you and your child personally. Come to this school! With new ownership last year, a great school is becoming better and better.

Posted March 24, 2010

My son & daughter attended MCMS but left because we moved out of the immediate area this past year. My son struggled there with the disciplined environment as he has some social delays. He got in trouble a lot. However, my daughter, thrived there and has requested to return. I put her in another Montessori school in the Glendale area, but she doesn't find it challenging enough and I can see that she's bored. She spends more time helping her classmates with their schoolwork than learning new things. Overall, despite the highly disciplined environment at MCMS which I see is the main complaint of other reviewers, which I personally think is good for kids especially when the home environment lacks discipline, I found it to be a great school. We're planning to return for summer even though it's a longer drive for us now. Great job MCMS.

Posted December 6, 2009

The school has just gone into new ownership. I am very impressed with the dedication and direction of the new owner. Already I'm seeing wonderful new things at MCMS.

Posted June 16, 2008

my daughter is 4 and went to this school. The general envrionment is very disciplined and is more strict than most preschools. The kids don't have much 'freedom' and have to raise their hands to be excused. It was too strict for us and too academic oriented. Not a true Montessori school. I pulled my kid out. She was miserable there... There is absolutely no parental involvement. If you want your kid to read and write by age 4 then this is the school for you.

Posted July 20, 2007

MCMS is a wonderful school, academically, emotionally, socially and spiritually. My daughter attends this school since she was 5 and graduated from here. The teachers are well-qualified, hard working and caring. The principal knows every student and has a great impact on them. The school environment provides optimum learning experience and every child is treated with respect. It is like being in a big, loving, and warm family. I remember one time my daughter was crying and was upset about something. A teacher sat with her and talked to her and sang songs to her to comfort her. This means a lot to her and to me. The loving memories of this school still stays with us today, five years after she graduated.

Posted April 19, 2007

Why isn't there a PTA at this school? I'm sure parents want to be involved. Teachers even encourage it. But when there is no PTA it really shows the admin really doesn't want input.

Posted May 19, 2005

EXCELLENT phonics and math programs starting in preschool. Caring, nuturing, experienced teachers give lots of individual attention. Students study botany, geography, history, zoology and art from pre-kindergarten. Kids learn and remember an amazing variety of information! Respect, caring for others and good manners are taught consistently. Very low staff turnover provides stability for children. My two sons began in preschool and are now a 3rd-grader and a graduate. Both thrive at MCMS.

Posted April 18, 2005

I went to MC.M.S. for Preschool all the way through the Sixth grade. I am now at Village Christian School. i loved my years at M.C.M.S. I learned to be an excellent student. I am now on the Honor Roll at my new school. I loved Praise Music and Bible class. I learned to manage my time well and I have no problems with homework or organization. I loved all the teachers and the friends I made. I never had any conflicts. When I was in Fifth grade I was in the Shakespeare play and it was great. I learned to love learing and for that I thank all the teachers at M.C.M.S.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted April 17, 2005

MCMS is a school where any child can thrive. The individualized attention that each child receives with the montessori system ensures that each child whether a little slow or very bright will grow to their full potential. I was an MCMS student when the school opened and have since gone on to be accepted at Flintridge Prep for middle and high school, and then graduate from Cal Poly San Luis Obispo with a degree in Animal Science and pre-vet/grad school concentration. MCMS gave me a strong foundation to pursue all of my goals, not only in the classroom, but in every facet of my life. The extracurricular activities, including drama, choir and sports, contributed greatly to my social growth. The classroom instruction I received there and the 'work at your own pace' and learn-by-doing environment taught me that no goal was out of reach...no dream too big. Thanks MCMS!
—Submitted by a former student

Posted February 11, 2005

Not a very warm environment for children. All work and lots of it. They say they're Christian but they don't really practice what they preach.

Posted February 23, 2004

Very minimal physical education classes, only twice per week wherein children are allowed to pick teammates. Unfortunately, the same children continually get picked last. Very much into allowing 'cliques' and bullying to continue. Allows students to 'govern' classes by unilaterally taking away other students' points. Unfriendly teachers. No PTA. Would not provide teachers credentials, if any! Not a Montessori school (I attended one and know the difference) and admits to not being accredited with any Montessori affiliation. Way too much homework! Mostly busy work and not intellectually stimulating. Often our little girl comes home with 175 math problems to complete among other subjects! Grading system is bizzar. Our daughter makes the highest of marks during the entire school year and we were told she was 'gifted', yet scored well below average in every subject on the year end state required testing. The only real plus is that my child knows more about the Bible than I do. We are looking into other schools.

Posted September 28, 2003

The teachers have very high expectations of their students at this school, sometimes too high and too strict. It does lack some in personal attention and care for individual students. Massive amounts of homework is a difficult adjustment. Our 9year old is sometimes up until 11pm to finish which makes it difficult to do anything else. However, I believe the good outweighs the bad. We are trying to adjust to the amount of homework and the general unfriendliness of the teachers in general. Our son has far surpassed our expectations at this school. And for the parents, it really pays to stay involved and attentive to your childs needs, because this is a tough school to stay with. But we're staying.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 29% 11%

• Mrs. Sharon Lee
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Christian
Fax number
  • (818) 249-6290

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Montessori
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious