Gold River, CA

Gold River Discovery Center K-8 1

Posted October 21, 2014
The community is pretty good but there are a few poor quality teachers that have a serious impact on this school. One first grade teacher was very harmful to my son's education. She complained about him and said he wasn't completing work. He is now enrolled in the gate program in a different school. The leadership (principal) didn't take any action after we had a conference and refused to meet privately to discuss our situation. My take is he doesn't want (or know how) to deal with problem teachers. If you are very active in your child's education AND are lucky enough to get the right teachers, this school is great. The parent involvement is pretty good and the kids are great. One final note, many families in the community have resorted to sending their kids to other schools. This school doesn't offer the gate program so many of our neighbors (including us) send our kids elsewhere. It would be great if the school would focus on what is best for THIS community, get better leadership, and make this a great school.

Posted January 21, 2014
The Gold River community is very diverse. The teachers each year have been excellent, and have brought their own creativity and love of teaching to my son's class room. My son started Kindergarten here, and is now in the second grade. In the past year, his reading and math skills have gone well over a 3rd grade level, and his teacher continues to challenge him daily. He is praised for hard work, and feels proud of himself. There is very little bullying from what I have seen, and I have volunteered for 3 years now in the class and on the playground. The school is very welcoming, and the parents are extremely active in school and classroom activities. This is a great community for encouraging your child to grow and thrive!

Posted September 14, 2013
I have been at this school for 9 years! Kindergarten-8th grade. I really miss it! This school has amazing and fun teachers who care about their students and want them to succeed. All of G.R.D.C.'s staff is so kind and caring- I love them all! The students here are all friendly, kind, and very intelligent! If you are looking for a new school for your child, this school is where to go! Your child will make many new friends and will have an amazing overall experience! There are so many fun events and fundraisers throughout the year! *Ooh! And don't forget those awesome coffee hour Fridays! I will definitely be coming back to visit and come to the events throughout the year! I love and miss this school so much! Remember: Everyday is a great day to be a miner! ~*Blue and Gold will always be my colors!*~ ~*Once a miner, always a miner*~ Sincerely, with love, the one and only Alexandra Toni France

Posted January 26, 2013
We have been absolutely thrilled with GRDC. Our daughter is in 1st grade and has had excellent teachers both for Kinder and first. The staff is kind and responsive, willing to listen and meet needs. Manyof the teachers have children of their own there and I feel as though we all support one another. There is a great deal of parental involvement, an active PTA and many caring families. We love the monthly coffee hour and Walk-to-School Wednesdays. My daughter feels safe, secure and cared for each day. She is challenged and encouraged in her studies. But what I love the most is the community feel at this school. You just don't get that everywhere. We feel so fortunate to be a aprt of GRDC.

Posted July 01, 2012
Most of the teachers my daughter has had so far have been very responsive. Some are more organized than others but all in all, I am pleased. The current principal is science oriented and that helps set the tone from the top down.

Gold River Discovery Center K-8 1

Posted March 12, 2011
We had a very bad experience with one teacher at GRDC last year. Our son was not a good match with his Kindergarten teacher to say the least. She quickly identified him as a 'problem child' for normal behavior. We encountered exaggeration and overreaction instead of nurturing and care. Ultimatums were issued the second week of school. It was mind-boggling. Our son came home saying he was 'bad' which was sad. It was a terrible situation; we withdrew our son to preserve his self-esteem. He now attends private school and is doing well. After removing him the teacher claimed he had stolen a library book. All in all a terrible experience, one I would not wish on anyone. The VP was little help and exhibited an "take it or leave it" attitude. Mind you, she was nice enough, but clearly had other things on her mind. The daycare program was ok. They kept the children busy and involved with crafts and various activities. In sum: we had a terrible experience at this highly rated school. I waited 5 months to write this review to be fair. Apparently the other teachers are wonderful and nurturing. We just had a bad match. For the record, my wife and I are teachers.

Gold River Discovery Center K-8 4

Posted March 05, 2011
Iagree, Teacher Jane is a phenomenal preschool teacher! She is so kind and patient. We were so grateful for her many years of experience & plan to enroll our other daughter when the time comes. Music Charlie, the Pumpkin patch field trip & the garden were great.

Gold River Discovery Center K-8 4

Posted October 13, 2010
This is a very good school and a very involved community of parents. The volunteerism is strong and the children are a very diverse mix - a mini united nations. They get along great and understand that there are many cultures and all are part of their world-view. Many children thrive in the GRDC environment. That said, I have known several families who live close by have found their children are better served by Pershing for the Rapid Learner program or Deterding for more of an arts focus. By 6th grade middle school options are also open. No one school can be the right place for all learners. This school is well above average, superior even. But don't become complacent if any school is not the perfect fit for your child.

Posted April 03, 2010
Wow. This school is amazing. everything is top notch! My kids love it and there is no comparison to the dedication and friendliness of the staff! Good job GRDC and keep going strong!

Gold River Discovery Center K-8 0

Posted February 07, 2010
Great school, leadership, teachers, parents, staff, and students are all top notch.

Gold River Discovery Center K-8
2200 Roaring Camp Drive, Gold River, CA  95670
Last modified Gold River Discovery Center K-8 is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Gold River Discovery Center K-8 Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top