Posted June 10, 2014
I am so glad we found this school for our daughter who has now done about 6 months in pre-primary and 1 academic year in primary. The teachers are the heart of the school and they put a ton of effort into knowing every kid and their needs. The kids are known not just by their own teachers, but by all the teachers. Instruction is individualized and true to the Montessori method of following the child's interests (with some teacher prompting in the right direction of course). Kids, parents and administration staff are wonderful. The campus is beautiful, stimulating and safe with great classroom set up and inviting outdoor spaces. We feel we are getting our money's worth and more with this wonderful learning and life experience for our young daughter. All the classrooms are known by the color of the door. We are in Blue Door and thrilled. Quality seems very consistent across all the classrooms. Thank you, MCS!

Posted October 04, 2013
My son has been at MCS going on 4 years. He is in the Lower Elementary program at the school (1st-3rd grade) and my husband and I honestly couldn't be happier. He is so academically prepared and loves going to school every single day! The teaching staff is so experienced and well trained. The individualized learning and Montessori approach really does work. Outside of the academics I love that there is such a strong emphasis placed on emotional development. The teachers work with children on social skills and modeling peaceful ways of communicating. I so appreciate that he is an environment where he feels safe, heard and respected. The Montessori hands on materials the children get to work with are amazing! They truly seem to make learning fun and exciting. I also like the multi-age aspect. There is so much inner mentoring going on in the classrooms. We really do love Montessori Center and would urge anyone to check out this school for their child.

Montessori Center School 2

Posted October 23, 2012
Both of my kids are in this school this year and up until now I'm comparing it to our previous school experience. First, my oldest kid teacher is a non-native speaker. She's nice and kind, but I would hire as a music teacher not primary one. I don't see how my child will improve his/her English like that. This is still ok with me, but the fact that my kid is a 3rd grader combined with first and second graders is way bad. Some of the younger ones can't even read on their own so the whole teacher focus is mostly on them, what am I paying for then??!! My other child which is in primary didn't have this problem as she's in the youngest level. However, the situation is reversed here. The teacher expects her to do everything on her own and keeps complaining to me that I should teach her that at home. Again, my question is why am I then paying ?!!! I've heard good things about the school from parents who are not working, so here is how I see it. The school is great for parents who are not busy, meaning willing to volunteer and be in school at least 5 hours/week . So it's more fun for parents to go to than for those who want to see their kids learning new stuff.

Posted August 07, 2012
My daughter recently graduated from Montessori Center School and was so well prepared for Jr. High she received high marks in all of her honors classes. Academics were only part of the success; she learned how to learn, be independent, how to care very deeply about others and her community, how to enjoy music, dance, and sports, and I could go on and on. She felt a great connection to all her teachers and they took a personal interest in my daughter's success. The school grounds are beautiful and inviting. The classrooms are filled with engaging materials.

Posted July 16, 2011
This school is a special place, providing a nurturing learning environment that provided "Process" oriented learning. Small class sizes, and a full time assistant in each classroom. In addition to providing a Montessori approach to learning the school provides wonderful specialists from art, music, Spanish and PE. Our Public schools have lost focus with "authentic learning" and are pushing for a one size fits all. I am thankful for Montessori & its commitment to continue a child's natural thirst for knowledge, curiosity & "Love of Learning"

Posted July 16, 2011
Great school - our children have been there from 18 months and are now starting third grade. Academically, this school is above the rest, while children have a true joy for learning and are not just taught what they will be on the test. Great small class size for extra attention.

Posted July 16, 2011
I am a father with 3 children at Montessori Center School. We started with our then- 5yo who was too young for public school. My wife did extensive research and after we had him there she was duly impressed and wanted me to observe a class in action with an eye towards enrolling our other two (the then 7yo and 3yo). I resisted. I'd attended public school and felt we had a very good one where we lived. I went to observe the classes and was so impressed. The children were all engaged and worming independently in a manner I'd certainly never witnessed in my schooling or in the school. I immediately "got" the difference. Rather than having a teacher in the front teaching to a whole group, the teachers were mingling with the kids, each of whom were working on tasks in order to accomplish their daily goals. This avoids having 1 child derailing the class. I am enamored as well with their approach to math and grammar and public speaking. The start kids at a "concrete" understanding of numbers and work up, rather than simply doing it abstractly on paper right away. I also think having 3 ages in a class is brilliant- teaches kids to participate in different ways and teasing is nonexistent!

Posted July 16, 2011
MCS is truly a special learning environment that is unlike any other. Our children are able to explore and learn at their own pace. It's truly the best education in town with a very fair price!! The teachers are outstanding and have a true passion for the Montessori philosophy! We left MCS for one semester and returned because our daughter said she was not using her mind and it was not interesting. Since returning to MCS our daughter is thriving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We plan on keeping our children at MCS till 6th grade.

Posted July 16, 2011
Montessori Center School is a wonderful school. My two boys started in the pre- primary class at 2.5 years old. The older is now 9 yrs old. I describe the Montessori method as learning how to learn. It is hands on understanding of all achedemics. The children phisically understand why things work the way they do. Children ages 3-6 understanding the physical concept of 10 cubed is amazing! Realistically, some teacher student combinations don't work (as is the case of of every school and camp). Spending up to 3 years in a class, if the match is good, it is a fantastic opportunity to develope and grow. If the match is not good - switch classes! That being said. It is possible that the Montessori style of learning is not for every one. But I see the intimate and personal interaction the students have with the teachers, shows up daily in their ability to confidently converse with people of all ages and cultures. They are taught the bigger picture of the world, life and learning. A recent article quoted the creators of Amazon.com, Wikipedia and Google thanking their Montessori education for teaching and allowing them to think out of the box. My family is already thanking Montessori!

Montessori Center School 1

Posted April 25, 2011
We spent two years and tens of thousands of dollars at this school. Although my child learned concepts that helped in grade school, primary level was a nightmare. Labeling was rampant and expectations were not clear and would change from child to child and day to day. Learning disabilities were not identified by a teacher with over 20+ years of experience. Many teachers have been teaching too long at this school and are burnt out. The Montessori model of teaching is not followed - teaching to the teachers expectations is what we found. Montessori - especially this one - is not for all children, especially if you have an active child - beware! My child went from "the problem child in the class" with low ratings to an A student with excellence in behavior by switching schools.

Montessori Center School
401 North Fairview Avenue, Goleta, CA  93117
Last modified Montessori Center School is a Private school that serves grades PK-6
Montessori Center School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 17 reviews.