PK-9|Private
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

As the new Head of School at Santa Barbara Montessori School I am committed to providing a supportive environment for children and their parents. I look forward to introducing your children to the Montessori environment where they will become independent, self-reliant, confident and compassionate human beings-the leaders of our future.
September 01, 2016

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

What a great first day of school! My kids are thrilled to back in this enriching environment.

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted September 01, 2016

I can't say enough about this school. The teachers, the classrooms and campus, the students and parents are all so wonderful. Every year is better than the last. Sure, I have had questions and moments of doubt because it is not a traditional school (which is what I'm more familiar with), but the teachers and Head have always had answers and been very open to educating me about Montessori. I wish every child could experience SBMS, from the toddler to the junior high, it is THE BEST.

his school has been great for our child for the most part. However, there is a lot of truth in the complaints about communication, and they have lost by far their best teachers in the past 3 years. The remaining teachers are young and inexperienced or old and bitter. The way some of these changes were communicated was very poor - in fact most parents do not yet know that one of the teachers is gone. Unfortunately the HOS's claim to be a 'great communicator" is false. Frequent blathering does not equal communicating about salient issues. Nevertheless this school has an excellent model of education at its core and hopefully it will grow out of this phase and become stronger. Overall our child had a good experience, the adults' was not as good. My average score reflects this.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

This school, takes care to talk out every situation which arises with the children, in a non blaming sensitive way to ensure all kids learn from the situation and understand the basis for respect and kindness. Its their highest priority. they teach life lessons because they are experienced and understand it creates a solid foundation and healthy environment for learning and building relationships and character. I appreciate that about this school so so very much.

This school is wonderful!! I have three very different type of kids and all three thrive here. and why?? because the teachers are AWESOME!!!! The environment is ideal and dreamy. we have attended other schools public and private, and non can compare to having these very experienced teachers. if you want a non nonsense, solid fabulous school for your family, this is it !!

We are so thrilled to have our infant enrolled at SBMS. The care is above and beyond. He isn't just watched while we are working he is learning and developing beautifully in an incredible environment. I feel blessed that my child is able to spend his days there! I never have a worry in the world. I imagine him moving through this school until Junior High :)

Nowhere else are the teachers so in tune and attentive to the whole development of the children. Bottom line. And as a parent, that is the most important thing in the end, I think most would agree. Yes there are things to improve, but isn't that true anywhere? And I can wholeheartedly say that they are improving. Most or all of the grievances here that were accurate have been or are currently being corrected.

I read the reviews here before applying. I was concerned given some of the negative reviews. I also heard negative reviews from two parent's of the school's administration. Given all of this, it shouldn't surprise me the way things turned out. I called and spoke to the school's director before we started anything to ask if they would have space for the upcoming school year. I was told they would have space if everything worked out during the application process. We went through the application process in a relatively short amount of time and then waited weeks to hear back from the school. When we finally heard back (after we left messages), we learned that the school had been too busy with their fundraiser to look at the application and that now that they were looking at it, they might not be able to proceed as they are trying to downsize their space (and presumably have less students). Really?! Needless to say, after all of the time and effort spent going through their application process, and all of the time, love, and effort my son's teachers put into the required recommendations, I was very upset. I felt that the way we were treated was callous considering how serious we had been about enrolling our son. Everyone involved on our side totally wasted their time, and I feel that the administration was not transparent with us about their situation sooner. If this is what it's like to work with them, clearly, we would not want to send our child to this school as we were totally misled earlier during school visits and follow-up conversations. I also feel that they knew this when they asked for the recommendations given the timeline we were given for when they said they were aware of the potential downsizing. I am sorry we ever wasted our time on this school and can concur with the negative reviews of the administration. I would not bother with this school ever again (and I have other, younger children!). The only decent thing is they are supposedly going to refund our application fee. They can't refund our time...

A fantastic school! The teachers and staff are completely dedicated to creating the best experience for each individual student. I wish there were more schools like SBMS all over the world!

Last modified Santa Barbara Montessori School is a Private school that serves grades PK-9