Teacher effectiveness: Effective

Posted June 02, 2015
LAUSD, let the teachers have more control in their classrooms. Stop making them do things for the kids that the parents should be doing. (Breakfast in the classroom, lunch program - almost every free lunch student has a parent who wears $200 athletic shoes and a nicer car than me. it's only $4, come on.)

Amount of homework: Not enough

Posted June 02, 2015
This is not the school's fault. Like every school, they have to give in to political and parental pressure from lazy parents who don't want to be bothered with homework.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted June 02, 2015
Parents need to teach their children respect before they even get to school. The school in turn reinforces respect by respecting students and parents.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted June 02, 2015
As in the honesty and integrity question, the parents need to develop this trait, and the teachers and staff are caring and reinforce this with the students.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted June 02, 2015
It's the parent's job, not the school's job to develop honesty, integrity and fairness in students. That being said, the school reinforces these ideas.

Posted June 02, 2015
My Daughter has finished up the TK/K year this year and it was the best place for her to be. The Principal, teachers and staff are caring and work hard at polishing these little kids into well-rounded diamonds. My daughter loved all the learning and constant enrichment in math, reading, science and other subjects and given the pressures that are always brought on LAUSD by internal and external factors, the school does amazingly well. The fundraisers where students, parents and children got to hang out together were highly appreciated by working families and my kids adored these times together with their classmates. Our little TKer learned math and reading and is has begun her educational career on a solid foundation. Lots of after-school activities and lots of hard working teachers and volunteers who give their all. My only complaint is that parent involvement does not seem to be high, but this is not the school's fault. There also seems to be a lot of kids who are not from the school neighborhood, which in my opinion detracts from the sense of community that a school should have. Other than that, an amazing school.

Posted October 25, 2014
Granada is a wonderful school with caring staff and principal. Mrs. van Houten is one of the best principals around. Both my kids went through the school and had wonderful learning experience. Love how the school puts so much effort to provide quality education to all students.

Posted October 24, 2013
My son had a hard time in a private school he was going to. He would come home upset and constantly crying when I would drop him off, I knew that he wasn't getting the best experience and education he needed. I brought him to Granada Elementary and thought that it would be just for kinder. The teachers and staff were so great that I couldn't take him out. He loves coming to school and everyday he comes home he has something new to show me. He is in first grade and loves to read, he is quick with his math and is super outgoing. I work pretty late so I enrolled him in the after school program "Wood Craft Rangers" he comes home everyday happy and finished with his homework. Words could not describe how much I love being a part of the Granada Hills Elem. Family. I worried that my son would hate being in school so late and upset with me, but I have to say that it has helped him and made him a little more independent. I no longer worry because I know that he is in good hands. I hope that Our school Granada Elementary Wins this awesome prize, they well deserve the help, because of all the help and support they have shown the students and parents in this community.

Granada Elementary Community Charter 4

Posted August 22, 2013
My son is new at this school...so far he likes the teacher, his classmates and the after school programs. Everybody is very friendly at Granada Elementary!!!

Posted May 02, 2013
i love this school i been in that school since 1 grade i loved it so much good memories

17170 Tribune Street, Granada Hills, CA  91344
Last modified Granada Elementary Community Charter is a Charter school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Granada Elementary Community Charter Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 37 reviews. Top