Knollwood Preparatory Academy

Charter | K-5

Posted October 21, 2009

My children have been here for a couple of years and this school has been on steady decline. The school lacks leadership, parent/teacher collaboration, staff friendliness and parent involvement through PTA. Additionally the schools API score is down 30 points, not a good sign at all! Although there is a new principle as of January 2014, only minor changes have been implemented. Hopefully for the 2014-2015 school year things really change, as many parents are frustrated and are looking to transfer their kids. On the upside, there are a handful of great teachers that have made a difference in my children's academic performance.

Posted March 13, 2014

My son has attended this school for 2 years. I am finally posting here now that we have a new and energized principal at the school who is already turning it around. Like many posters, I saw serious and major problems at this school. Anyone reading this should know several parents flooded the district with complaints over the last few years. The previous principal finally retired after she spent the last several years intentionally running it into the ground and being hostile to parents! I believe there are wonderful teachers here who were at her mercy, especially now that we are hearing about stupid rules she had (ex. NO classroom decorations, no display of student work outside of the class room, etc). This is my home school and like many parents in the community, we have fought for it. We are seeing the grounds cleaner, repairs being done, positive and encouraging educational information coming from the new principal. It's obvious there was a serious leadership problem and that has changed. I really loved my son's teachers, now I love the principal. I have hope this will be a great Valley school and alittle more faith that LAUSD acts when parents complain.

Posted February 9, 2014

My previous review was removed. So I will try to repost without inadvertently pointing fingers. If your child has an IEP, do not have your child attend this school. The related services such as OT, Speech, APE are fantastic and they care about your child's progress. Any other services related to academic, find a school with a team that cares.

Posted August 27, 2013

I had 2 of my children attend this school. Although I was hopeful in the begining as to the schools' potential...sad to say they didn't come through. Issues with rude teachers, security staff with attitude (female), food was horrible. I am glad to say that my children have transfered out. Principle is only interested in her gain. Endless fund raisers. But one thing is for certain...Ms Hernandez (kindergarten) was the best. She was great with my son. There are a few good teachers....but it only takes one bad apple to ruin the party. I heard of many incidents where a particular teacher was cussing at a child! Another teacher hit a child....wow! I hope the parents of these children sue the LAUSD for this. And that is the tip of the iceberg. Parking is horrendous! Parents just cant get themselves together either! Double parking, blocking traffic, children darting all over the place. Very hazardous situation. Yeah...glad I don't have to deal with this anymore. Good luck to all others who stick with this school. Hope they can get their act together.

Posted August 24, 2012

My daughter will be attending first grade at Knollwood this year and from all the reviews I've read it seems like the school hasn't been good since 2003-2005. I'm terrified!! I am a parent who cares a great deal about my child's education. I applied for a transfer before the year even started and was denied because my reasons weren't good enough. At this point I'm almost willing to quit my job, eat sugar sandwiches for dinner with hot water soup just so I can homeschool to avoid the horrors of Knollwood!!! I hope that my child and I will not have a bad experience as so many others have had. Keeping my fingers crossed for now!!

Posted August 1, 2012

it's a small neighborhood community school, so i love that feeling. the families are great, the teachers are good. i love my daughter's Kinder teacher, she is very artistic, crafty, and may not be the best communicator she teaches kids well. the only thing im not too happy about this school are some of the lack of the 'welcoming' friendliness of the office or even yes, prinicipal. thye are not that friendly or welcoming. Sadly the PTA is just "ok", you don't get the welcoming feeling from them... so that's why i never participated in the meetings.

Posted June 12, 2012

I am the parent of a child in Kinder and also in 3rd grade. My experience with Knollwood for the past 4 years has been wonderful. My 3rd grader has had very nurturing and encouraging teachers for the past 4 years. I am especially pleased with the 3rd grade teachers this year. They have pushed my child and encouraged my child to strive to do better and go above and beyond because they saw his potential. I was given updates and my messages/emails were answered promptly when ever I have had any questions. My kindergardeners' teacher has also been excellent. Very nurturing and easily accessible when I have had any questions or concerns. I wish that there were more teachers like them but i can only hope that they continue to get excellent teachers like them in the future.

Posted June 1, 2012

In line with the families that commented on 10/9/11, 10/4/11 and 9/23/11, this ONE infamous teacher is very cold, lacks tact, compassion, and every other quality that I believe a Kindergarten teacher should possess. I ve seen more than once where she reports her complaints to the parent before class or at the time of dismissal, but in front of other parents! A parent should always be informed of their child s wrong behavior, but at the appropriate time and place. Shouting your child s faults in front of other parents is not only humiliating to the child, it shows disrespect to the parent. It shows that you do not care enough to at least pull them aside or take a few minutes after dismissal to discuss your concerns. I believe such behavior is unprofessional and completely unacceptable. I have no doubt that she teaches effectively, but someone with her personality is more fit to teach in a different environment, not in a classroom where you are responsible for innocent children who are just being introduced to education.

Posted October 9, 2011

I am sorry to say that I agree with the parents and families dealing with this kindergarten teacher. Most likely the teachear assistants as well. I remember almost 7 years ago when my kids had their first day at Knollwood. Kindergarten teachers were much more caring of the students. Parents were able to stay and help in the morning and interact with the children and teacher. We are talking about 5 year olds! To the "parent" that posted on September 28, 2011, I'm pretty sure if your child was in this classroom, you wouldn't feel this way. We are not talking about teachers at Knollwood. We are talking about "1" kindergarten teacher. I'm sad to say that because of this teacher, Knollwood is being rated with 4 out 5 community stars. Knollwood is a great school and is being tarnished because of "1" teacher. I strongly reccommend the parents of this kindergarten class to contact the superintendent of schools, if they are not satisfied with the teacher, Vice Principal, and Principal. Wish you the best.

Posted October 4, 2011

I would love to know who this teacher is. Im having the same situation, and my child just got moved from her kindergarten classroom for overflow reasons. Im upset because my daughter had a hard time adjusting the first weeks, and now to do it all over again is inconsiderate of the my child's emotions. No explanation for why she picked my daughter!

Posted September 28, 2011

I am the parent of a kindergartener at Knollwood this year too and I am appalled at the comments of the two other kindergarten parents who previously posted. So let me also write some appalling comments to them: get over it! Exercise your right as a parent and find another school where you will get the nurturing you feel you deserve and let the Knollwood kindergarten teachers do their job! Let all the teachers do their job! Complainers like you demoralize them and they do not need that! It takes a special kind of person to be a teacher. My children have had both female kinder teachers and I find them both to be nurturing, hard working and dedicated teachers. I think their cultures play a factor in this. Teachers don t go in to the profession to make money! They teach because they love children and they want to make a difference in their lives! Stop complaining and start thinking about what you, as parents can do to make a difference! Let the teachers do their jobs and stop complaining! It s not about pushing through anything! It s about being part of a solution instead of creating more problems!

Posted August 25, 2011

If u care about your child please keep them away from those beasts teaching at knollwood.

Posted March 16, 2010

I agree with the previous parent. I am notified constantly when PTA mtng happen, but do I get notified when eye exams at the school..so I can prep my little one..no! My childs teacher does nothing but complain how big her class is.when I have concerns I bring to teachers attention..I am not on the playgrnd with the kids...how about, let me find out what is going on and call you??? Or when I went to a teacher that was selling $1 items and my child came home with 2 of them..she had $20..where is the change? The teacher said 'there are so many kids in and out of here I don't know who she paid' I agree that the staff is lazy and complacent...in fact I HAVE enrolled my child at another school for next year!

Posted November 24, 2009

The principal is more concerned with what's going on with the Dodgers than what is happening in the school. She is hardly ever available. The office is very unorganized. The website calendar is never, ever updated (I don't even know why they have a website if as a parent I can't rely on the information to be available) Office adminstration is very rude and lazy. They expect more out of the parents than they are even willing to do. My child had to change three classes in one year. If they had done their job over the summer and their organizational skills were up to par the child wouldn't have to go through that many changes. Pick up and drop off area is a horror! Someone is going to get run over one day. I can't stress enough for you to avoid sending your children to this school if possible.

Posted September 1, 2009

This is an excellent school with a diverse group of students. It has so many programs available and the teachers are great!

Posted September 30, 2008

Knollwood Elementary has changed so much over the years. There are several special programs incorporated into the school year related to the arts and curriculum that enrich our children's education. Many of the teachers are very dedicated and go above and beyond to help in the success of our children. The parental involvement every year has increased greatly. This has enabled the PTA to help fund many educational and exciting programs, events, and technological advances. I am glad that the parents have taken an active role in their children's education and that the principal supports and encourages this. It is the beginning of a new school year and already it shows so much promise. We are proud to be a part of the Knollwood School family!

Posted September 28, 2008

I don't know who the previous parent is but what I like about the school is that the parents don't run the school. It is a partnership with the teachers, parents and administrators working together to provide the best education for our kids!

Posted September 26, 2008

After 3 years at this school, I am very dissapointed as the school is run by the pta and not the principal. I no longer want my kids to attend this school after we been pushed around more than once. I must say we will miss some of the teacher, but not all of them!!!

Posted February 22, 2008

I did not have the best experience at this school. Some of the staff are mean and not friendly. Principle is approachable and understanding. some of the teacher assistants are below the average and do not have any sense for teaching.

Posted December 8, 2007

What a tremendous disappointment the State Preschool was at this school. The curriculum was not geared for kindergarten preparedness -- books for 1 and 2-year-olds were being used and my daughter was terribly bored. The health and safety issues were of even greater concern with children playing in flower beds before class and then eating the District-provided meal with dirty hands, broken planters with exposed nails left unattended, and the unavailability of a sanitary and preschooler-friendly bathroom for use before class. When my daughter said she didn't want to return because the teacher kept yelling at the kids, I didn't hesitate to remove her from the program. We just couldn't wait for the District ECE administrators to make things better.

This school's

-30

API Statewide Rank
(2012)

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

8 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

48 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

48 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

58 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

61 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

67 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

All Students70%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012
The Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) School Experience Survey asks parents, students and employees about their school's learning environment. Results provide insight into school climate, such as whether the school is academically rigorous, engaging, safe, and collaborative. Learn more

We organized questions from the LAUSD School Experience Survey into five categories. The respondent group-level results (parents, students, and school employees) show the percent of each respondent group that agree or strongly agree that the school has positive results for that category.

Overall school results for each category are calculated by averaging across group-level results, ensuring that each respondent group is equally represented. Alongside the results for each school are the aggregated results across all LAUSD schools, which are provided as a basis for comparisons.

Learn more about the LAUSD survey »Close
Based on 248 responses

This school provides ... 1

High academic expectations for all studentsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and students that agree to strongly agree that this school sets high academic expectations for its students and expects them to be college-bound. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Future Expectations (Parents), School Quality (Parents), Future Plans (Parents), Opportunities For Learning (Students), Future Plans (Students).

District average

Healthy, respectful relationshipsWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a positive learning environment and cultivates an atmosphere of respect. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Support (Students), Commitment and Collaboration (Employees), Satisfaction (Students), School Support (Students).

District average

A safe, clean and orderly environmentWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents, students and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school has a well-kept facility and a safe environment conducive to learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: School Cleanliness (Employees), School Safety (Employees), Safety (Parents), School Cleanliness (Students), School Safety (Students).

District average

Strong family engagementWhat's this?

This score measures the percent of parents and employees that agree to strongly agree that this school engages parents and communicates with families to promote student learning. This score is based on the average of the following LAUSD survey Content Areas: Parent Involvement (Employees), Feeling of Welcome (Parents), School Involvement (Parents), Teacher to Parent Communication (Parents).

Based on surveys from:

RespondentsResponse rate
Parents9726%
Students15184%

12012-13 Los Angeles Unified School District School Experience Survey

• Barbara Cohen
Fax number
  • (818) 832-9276

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• College preparatory

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now