Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

I want families to know that Knollwood is a much better school than it was 3 years ago. Our family witnessed the turnaround. Principal Salazar has created an organized, positive environment for our kids. With support from some open-minded teachers Knollwood now offers our kids weekly physical education, orchestra lessons, a literacy support center (one of the first in LAUSD). Beautiful murals have been painted at the school. The kids are happier. The office personnel is much more friendly. The Asst Principal changes every year because the district policies are ridiculous. We have a very pleasant one this year and I hope we can keep him! The only thing keeping this from being a 5 star school is the entitled and mean attitude of a few teachers who lack the ability to be introspective and self-reflective. Thankfully, many teachers are positive in light of unrealistic and way, way underfunded demands placed on them by LAUSD. Most teachers now show a sincere desire to positively work with parents and the kids. They even put on a magical Literacy Night for the kids and families. A few parents are visible at the school creating special events like Spirit Day, Halloween, Multi-Cultural Fair, Spring Fling. There is a lot of goodwill at the school now. I wish more families would share the positive aspects of it online now that there is less to complain about. It has come a long way.

Great teachers, office staff, principal, students and families! Also a fantastic after school program. It is time to send your kids here if you live in the community. The school previously had a bad reputation due to poor administration but has completely turned itself around with the leadership of Mrs. Salazar. She is positive, energetic, involved, approachable and reasonable. There are many fun and educational events for students and families. A real sense of community here. Teachers are very dedicated to their jobs. They use differentiated teaching strategies to address all students' abilities and needs. My son is being challenged to work to his full potential thanks to his fabulous teacher! I highly recommend this school, especially if you live in the area. You don't need to apply for the lottery at other schools when you have an amazing home school at Knollwood Preparatory Academy!!!!

I almost want to say it's great but I had a disagreement with the AP about my daughters IEP and I didn't like the way she handled herself or the situation.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

My twins started at this school last year and they both had great teachers! Both were very helpful, friendly and seemed genuinely interested in their student's achievement.

My daughters attended this school last year. I was happy with the teacher, however, this school has very little parent involvement and their website is so dated. During our year here they had a new principal assigned and she seems good but even she hasnt addressed the website. Poor communication.

My children have been here for a couple of years and this school has been on steady decline. The school lacks leadership, parent/teacher collaboration, staff friendliness and parent involvement through PTA. Additionally the schools API score is down 30 points, not a good sign at all! Although there is a new principle as of January 2014, only minor changes have been implemented. Hopefully for the 2014-2015 school year things really change, as many parents are frustrated and are looking to transfer their kids. On the upside, there are a handful of great teachers that have made a difference in my children's academic performance.

My previous review was removed. So I will try to repost without inadvertently pointing fingers. If your child has an IEP, do not have your child attend this school. The related services such as OT, Speech, APE are fantastic and they care about your child's progress. Any other services related to academic, find a school with a team that cares.

I had 2 of my children attend this school. Although I was hopeful in the begining as to the schools' potential...sad to say they didn't come through. Issues with rude teachers, security staff with attitude (female), food was horrible. I am glad to say that my children have transfered out. Principle is only interested in her gain. Endless fund raisers. But one thing is for certain...Ms Hernandez (kindergarten) was the best. She was great with my son. There are a few good teachers....but it only takes one bad apple to ruin the party. I heard of many incidents where a particular teacher was cussing at a child! Another teacher hit a child....wow! I hope the parents of these children sue the LAUSD for this. And that is the tip of the iceberg. Parking is horrendous! Parents just cant get themselves together either! Double parking, blocking traffic, children darting all over the place. Very hazardous situation. Yeah...glad I don't have to deal with this anymore. Good luck to all others who stick with this school. Hope they can get their act together.

My daughter will be attending first grade at Knollwood this year and from all the reviews I've read it seems like the school hasn't been good since 2003-2005. I'm terrified!! I am a parent who cares a great deal about my child's education. I applied for a transfer before the year even started and was denied because my reasons weren't good enough. At this point I'm almost willing to quit my job, eat sugar sandwiches for dinner with hot water soup just so I can homeschool to avoid the horrors of Knollwood!!! I hope that my child and I will not have a bad experience as so many others have had. Keeping my fingers crossed for now!!

it's a small neighborhood community school, so i love that feeling. the families are great, the teachers are good. i love my daughter's Kinder teacher, she is very artistic, crafty, and may not be the best communicator she teaches kids well. the only thing im not too happy about this school are some of the lack of the 'welcoming' friendliness of the office or even yes, prinicipal. thye are not that friendly or welcoming. Sadly the PTA is just "ok", you don't get the welcoming feeling from them... so that's why i never participated in the meetings.

Last modified Knollwood Preparatory Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.