Public charter
Granada Hills, CA

Posted September 25, 2014
My daughters attended this school last year. I was happy with the teacher, however, this school has very little parent involvement and their website is so dated. During our year here they had a new principal assigned and she seems good but even she hasnt addressed the website. Poor communication.

Knollwood Preparatory Academy 1

Posted May 16, 2014
My children have been here for a couple of years and this school has been on steady decline. The school lacks leadership, parent/teacher collaboration, staff friendliness and parent involvement through PTA. Additionally the schools API score is down 30 points, not a good sign at all! Although there is a new principle as of January 2014, only minor changes have been implemented. Hopefully for the 2014-2015 school year things really change, as many parents are frustrated and are looking to transfer their kids. On the upside, there are a handful of great teachers that have made a difference in my children's academic performance.

Posted March 13, 2014
My son has attended this school for 2 years. I am finally posting here now that we have a new and energized principal at the school who is already turning it around. Like many posters, I saw serious and major problems at this school. Anyone reading this should know several parents flooded the district with complaints over the last few years. The previous principal finally retired after she spent the last several years intentionally running it into the ground and being hostile to parents! I believe there are wonderful teachers here who were at her mercy, especially now that we are hearing about stupid rules she had (ex. NO classroom decorations, no display of student work outside of the class room, etc). This is my home school and like many parents in the community, we have fought for it. We are seeing the grounds cleaner, repairs being done, positive and encouraging educational information coming from the new principal. It's obvious there was a serious leadership problem and that has changed. I really loved my son's teachers, now I love the principal. I have hope this will be a great Valley school and alittle more faith that LAUSD acts when parents complain.

Knollwood Preparatory Academy 1

Posted February 09, 2014
My previous review was removed. So I will try to repost without inadvertently pointing fingers. If your child has an IEP, do not have your child attend this school. The related services such as OT, Speech, APE are fantastic and they care about your child's progress. Any other services related to academic, find a school with a team that cares.

Posted August 27, 2013
I had 2 of my children attend this school. Although I was hopeful in the begining as to the schools' potential...sad to say they didn't come through. Issues with rude teachers, security staff with attitude (female), food was horrible. I am glad to say that my children have transfered out. Principle is only interested in her gain. Endless fund raisers. But one thing is for certain...Ms Hernandez (kindergarten) was the best. She was great with my son. There are a few good teachers....but it only takes one bad apple to ruin the party. I heard of many incidents where a particular teacher was cussing at a child! Another teacher hit a child....wow! I hope the parents of these children sue the LAUSD for this. And that is the tip of the iceberg. Parking is horrendous! Parents just cant get themselves together either! Double parking, blocking traffic, children darting all over the place. Very hazardous situation. Yeah...glad I don't have to deal with this anymore. Good luck to all others who stick with this school. Hope they can get their act together.

Knollwood Preparatory Academy 2

Posted August 24, 2012
My daughter will be attending first grade at Knollwood this year and from all the reviews I've read it seems like the school hasn't been good since 2003-2005. I'm terrified!! I am a parent who cares a great deal about my child's education. I applied for a transfer before the year even started and was denied because my reasons weren't good enough. At this point I'm almost willing to quit my job, eat sugar sandwiches for dinner with hot water soup just so I can homeschool to avoid the horrors of Knollwood!!! I hope that my child and I will not have a bad experience as so many others have had. Keeping my fingers crossed for now!!

Posted August 01, 2012
it's a small neighborhood community school, so i love that feeling. the families are great, the teachers are good. i love my daughter's Kinder teacher, she is very artistic, crafty, and may not be the best communicator she teaches kids well. the only thing im not too happy about this school are some of the lack of the 'welcoming' friendliness of the office or even yes, prinicipal. thye are not that friendly or welcoming. Sadly the PTA is just "ok", you don't get the welcoming feeling from them... so that's why i never participated in the meetings.

Posted June 12, 2012
I am the parent of a child in Kinder and also in 3rd grade. My experience with Knollwood for the past 4 years has been wonderful. My 3rd grader has had very nurturing and encouraging teachers for the past 4 years. I am especially pleased with the 3rd grade teachers this year. They have pushed my child and encouraged my child to strive to do better and go above and beyond because they saw his potential. I was given updates and my messages/emails were answered promptly when ever I have had any questions. My kindergardeners' teacher has also been excellent. Very nurturing and easily accessible when I have had any questions or concerns. I wish that there were more teachers like them but i can only hope that they continue to get excellent teachers like them in the future.

Posted June 01, 2012
In line with the families that commented on 10/9/11, 10/4/11 and 9/23/11, this ONE infamous teacher is very cold, lacks tact, compassion, and every other quality that I believe a Kindergarten teacher should possess. I ve seen more than once where she reports her complaints to the parent before class or at the time of dismissal, but in front of other parents! A parent should always be informed of their child s wrong behavior, but at the appropriate time and place. Shouting your child s faults in front of other parents is not only humiliating to the child, it shows disrespect to the parent. It shows that you do not care enough to at least pull them aside or take a few minutes after dismissal to discuss your concerns. I believe such behavior is unprofessional and completely unacceptable. I have no doubt that she teaches effectively, but someone with her personality is more fit to teach in a different environment, not in a classroom where you are responsible for innocent children who are just being introduced to education.

Knollwood Preparatory Academy 5

Posted October 09, 2011
I am sorry to say that I agree with the parents and families dealing with this kindergarten teacher. Most likely the teachear assistants as well. I remember almost 7 years ago when my kids had their first day at Knollwood. Kindergarten teachers were much more caring of the students. Parents were able to stay and help in the morning and interact with the children and teacher. We are talking about 5 year olds! To the "parent" that posted on September 28, 2011, I'm pretty sure if your child was in this classroom, you wouldn't feel this way. We are not talking about teachers at Knollwood. We are talking about "1" kindergarten teacher. I'm sad to say that because of this teacher, Knollwood is being rated with 4 out 5 community stars. Knollwood is a great school and is being tarnished because of "1" teacher. I strongly reccommend the parents of this kindergarten class to contact the superintendent of schools, if they are not satisfied with the teacher, Vice Principal, and Principal. Wish you the best.

Knollwood Preparatory Academy
11822 Gerald Avenue, Granada Hills, CA  91344
Last modified Knollwood Preparatory Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Knollwood Preparatory Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 38 reviews. Top