Hillcrest Christian School

Private | K-12

Living in Granada Hills

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $359,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,770.

Sweep tile

Posted September 26, 2013

This School is very well designed for adults, not children!! Children are being controlled by fear.They are not allowed to run in the playground, and in class they have this peculiar system of marking for all students to see.(My child has perfect behavior but everyday she came home with a red mark).When I confronted the teacher abut it she said that my child gets red marks not because she misbehaves(even though the letter clearly states that the markings are used only for behavioral issues),but because she is not following orders quickly enough.Some examples :She took out wrong book,she began writing on the 2nd line instead of the first, and so on absolute nonsense.Well, I tried talking to a teacher about this problem, big mistake.They are so closed minded; they only think one way, and they expect your child to be this obedient robot by rubbing in this respect for authority (teachers) without questioning reason and logic.I do agree that our children needs to be taught respect others,but teachers and staff should set the example and respect kids,parents and their co-workers, which I did not see happening at this school.Likely enough I found CONCORDIA SCHOOL IN GRANADA HILLS,

Posted January 14, 2013

The teachers at the school are truly wonderful. However, it would appear that the school is not a good fit for all students. I enrolled my child here from public school to repeat the 5th grade (although he had graduated 5th grade in public school) to provide him a better opportunity with Christian values. While he never had any problems with other students in pucblic school, students here continually complained about my child to teachers. My child picked things up here from apparently long time students at the school that he had never learned in public school. When he repeated what he learned, complaints were made. Even when he was the person against whom a wrong was committed, when a student mentioned that "in the past" my child had made an inappropriate comment, it was my child who was suspended. I truly felt he was treated by other students as an "outsider", eventually forcing me to withdraw him from the school. My child is not perfect and, unfortunately, models other kids behavior. However, it was other behavior I had envisioned him modeling. Sadly, I have seen more grace extended in the world than I did at this Christian school.

Posted January 27, 2012

I am surprised by the reviews. I had a much different experience. I was a student here. My experience at this school lowered my self-confidence. Now that I am in college, my confidence is starting to come back. Do not go to this school.

Posted December 28, 2011

I love everything about this school. My children are academically challenged and motivated to learn! They love being at school. The teachers care and support the students. They maintain excellent communication with the parents. I look forward to all the changes coming up in the next years. Most importantly my children are learning to love the Lord.

Posted November 11, 2011

High School is great. The course offerings are balanced from AP Calculus to Drama. There are so many opportunities for students to pursue interests whether sports, music, academics...The staff are warm and caring.

Posted October 30, 2011

As a mother of two elementary aged girls, I have been amazed with the development I have seen in them, both academically and spiritually. Thos school does an amazing job of caring for each individual student. There are many opportunities for parents and students to get involved. It has become our second family and we couldn't be happier with the decision to send our daughters to Hillcrest!

Posted May 19, 2011

This school is amazing! They respect the Lord and love each other! The teachers are so sweet and they love their students! I totally reccomend this school for you!

Posted March 23, 2011

My child has attended this school and we adore it here! After sending her here we Immediately saw an improvement in her grades! She came home happy every night telling us how good school was today. She always has a smile on her face when she comes home! We love it there! I truly recommend this school.

Posted December 11, 2010

I have 2 boys currently attending this school. They came from a small private school, and since my oldest so is entering 9th grade, going to a bigger school would only help him become a better student and person. The requirements were easy to accomplish. The communication between school and parents is excellent. The staff are very professional, caring and non-judgemental. The environment is "family-like." It is very hard for me to read the negative posts about this school because it is just the opposite. This school provides academic excellence, opportunity for international studies, and most importantly, the ability to open your children's hearts to know God our Savior is probably the best gift a parent could ever give their children. This school is GREAT!!!!

Posted March 30, 2010

I was very distressed to read the post on 11/10/09. I, too, am a young single parent who has been actively involved at HCS for the last four years. I have never encountered any of the experiences that were reported - quite the contrary. To have such open hostility toward fellow Christians is NOT a Christ-like value. Not only is it damaging to carry such bitterness in one's heart, it is also just as damaging to Christians in general. Imagine what non-Christians must think when they read posts like this. I am truly sorry for your experience however I don't believe the problem lies with the school.

Posted March 30, 2010

I am currently a student at Hillcrest Christian School. I love my school very much. I am very happy here. I know what it's like at some of the other schools out there because i've been there. I say Hillcrest is by far the BEST of them all! To the few negative comments: there is no heaven on earth, and no school is perfect. Do YOU tell your kids 'be perfect' every morning? Hillcrest is an overall great school. There are many opportunities to learn and grow in faith. If you are thinking of coming to Hillcrest, i'm sure you'll be happy here.Hillcrest is a great school.

Posted March 5, 2010

My daughter is in 12th grade, is very grounded in her faith, had strong morals, wants to study theology in college, and is a value to society. Had a few problems with the strict policies at first, but have grown to appreciate the strong Christian values and the excellent teachers. Have tried several schools with my 4 kids and am back here for good.

Posted March 1, 2010

Our family lives and works in the Santa Clarita Valley, which is about 14 miles north of Granada Hills. We came to Hillcrest desperate for help. Our son who has learning disabilities was falling further and further behind every year in the public schools and supposedly the schools in the Santa Clarita Valley are the best in the state! That was not our experience. Hillcrest and the Discovery Program has proven to be the answer to our prayers. I have found the teachers to be caring and loving people, who truly want both of our children to succeed. I am in constant contact with the teachers, and I'm sure our son keeps them on their toes. We have a son in high school and a daughter in middle school. They have a great sports program as well.

Posted February 13, 2010

We love the school. Both my daughters attend Hillcrest and have been there for the past 2 years, 1st and 3rd. They love the Lord and they are thriving in academics and character.

Posted November 10, 2009

I had a bad feeling from the beginning. I went to the parent orientation night expecting to hear what my son would be having to look forward to in the new school year. Unfortunately, they talked about money and fund raising for about an hour and a half. There have been times when I was on campus and have been talked to in rude ways because I am a young single mother. Apparently they do not take me seriously and choose to judge me. I do not, feel for the most part, that they really set good Christian examples. They are cold, the atmosphere is non inviting, the school looks like a prison, and the worst part is that I could not feel the 'Christian' connection. The feeling one gets when one encounters a God fearing individual. All it is to them is business and nothing more. They are money hungry!

Posted May 5, 2009

Hillcrest Christian is a great school. I have been at Hillcrest for two years. The first week I felt nervous going inside for the first time, but the teacher, Mrs. Paris made it easy for me to get into the crowd. She gave us a small project to meet everyone. By lunch time all new students including me were having a good time. For my second I had a ruff start, not because of Hillcrest, so they placed me in their Discovery program, their they take me out of class for an hour and keep me up to date with my progress, while doing studies on the student (me) that have been proven to help. Now I feel like my memory is better, I can put puzzles together a little faster then before, and my writing is better then before.

Posted April 26, 2009

My daughter attended this school for the 6th and 7th grade. She is a special needs student with a minimum disability. She was part of the discovery program. I found that the school was rigid and inflexable in many ways. If your child follows the herd and does not challenge his or her teachers this will be a good place for them. If he or she needs extra nuturing or care this school may not be a good fit for you.

Posted January 19, 2009

I sent both my children to Hillcrest in the 5th(daughter) and 6th (son) grades. They came from a small parent involved LAUSD public school that we were happy with. The choices we had for middle schools in our area were not acceptable. We had family that attened Hillcrest so we decided to give them a try. My kids made quality friends right away. The teachers were good at communication and keeping contol of their students. The sports offered for middle school is an added bonus since there are few sports programs in public schools. There are opportunities for parents to get involved, but it's like anything else...YOU have to step up and GET involved. The dean is on top of behavioral problems so not to much gets past him! Public school can't offer the smaller environment and individual attention that Hillcrest can. We are very happy here.

Posted December 25, 2008

This school community is too cloistered, too small, too rigid, too judgmental, too dogmatic, too cliquish, too unforgiving, too unresponsive, too heartless and too belittling. For many years I thought this was a perfect small school until my children got older and began to ask difficult questions in their religion classes. They went from being student of the month to being shunned by the superintendent all the way down to the secretaries in the office. This caused tremendous trauma to them. One son even lost his faith until we intervened. Thankfully we left Hillcrest and their new school is much more accepting of all the branches of Christianity. It is amazing how much damage Hillcrest did to their self esteem. I would not recommend this school to any prospective parent.

Posted November 15, 2008

I've been at hillcrest since kindergarten and now im curently in 9th grade. For all of you who have posted the negative reviews about the school i have no idea what you people are talking about. I can't imagine myself going to any other school. In the many years that i have attended Hillcrest i began to see that all of the staff, teachers, and administration really care about all the students. The main reason why i think many students dislike the school and want to leave is because our school has many rules and it's a pretty small school. For those of you who think that you can't get into a good college if you go to Hillcrest you are WRONG. Most of our alumni have gone to some of the best colleges out there. As for the rules The principle sticks to them which indeed he should.

Ethnicity This school
American Indian/Alaska Native 1%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0%
Two or more races 0%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Christian
Associations
  • ACSI

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

17531 Rinaldi Street