Posted June 27, 2014
I think overall this school is pretty good, besides the drug problem, which is out of control. The school makes you very motivated and gives you a ton of work, depending how smart you are in completing the work. There is also some peer pressure, drama and some of the kids can be mean. I like how the school motivates you to do your best and even though the teachers give out a lot of work, it is good because it makes you more intelligent and independent. The school can improve if teachers would explain the work more in depth to the students and give students more time to do their work. Also, the teachers should recognize students that are peer pressured and/or on drugs and report it to the principal to do something about the problem and fix it. Overall, I made good friends here and enjoyed my time being here.

Posted June 13, 2014
Okay I go to granite bay and I want to clear up some of the "issues" that parents have. Fpr starters, yes there are drugs but that like every other highschool in the nation. During my three years here I have never once been pressured into doing any kind at all. The only time there is a drug problem is when your kid starts doing drugs, but that doesn't reflect the school, just bad parenting. Another issue is that kids here are rude. This is true as well, but its only a small majority of students who give a bad reputation and its up to your child to make good decisions on the friends that he or she makes. Most people here are quite nice and there is a place for anyone. People say horrible things about granite bay and that they want their child to have a better experience; a great experience can be found here if you raised your kid the correct way. So dont blame the school, there are so many great things and people here. Just hope that you raised your child well. Oh, and we all known that our academics are superb.

Posted May 29, 2014
Typical of many schools in affluent areas, this school is a "mixed bag". It is very academically competitive, which is great for kids who can keep up, but little help is given to those who can't. The ethos seems to be that going to college is the only path and anything else is substandard. Navigating the school's social scene can be down-right treacherous. There is a clear divide between the "haves" and "have nots" (just look at the cars in the student parking lot). Bullying based on socio-economic factors has been an issue for us. Drugs can be a problem too when wealthy kids have too much time and money on their hands. We have opted for our second child to attend Del Oro instead and are having a much better experience. The students and parents are more down to earth, and the environment does force the kids to grow up so fast.

Posted August 11, 2013
We are very pleased with Granite Bay High School. First let me begin by saying our daughter was a transfer student from Sacramento Country Day School her sophomore year and we are so grateful to SCDS for advancing her the way they did while there. What brought our attention to GBHS was the newly implemented IB program that we were familiar with and so eagerly wanted DD to participate in. Also the convenience of the school being up the street, so no more rush hour drives into Sacramento. DD loved the thought of being able to participate in EC's because that was difficult at SCDS due to distance. GBHS staff allowed her to fully embrace her academics with continual support when needed. The IB curriculum was very vigorous which led to many tears at her computer on early mornings, but thats what made her. Her involvement in Speech and Debate and Track and Field taught her responsibility to manage her time while keeping her GPA up in IB. The school fostered a confidence in DD which will be everlasting and we are so grateful for that. Thank you Granite Bay for providing the vital tools needed so my DD can continue her academic journey with confidence at Dartmouth College, 'Class of 2017'!

Granite Bay High School 1

Posted August 01, 2013
As a grandparent, I've witnessed some of the negative activities, and will need to see the positives to gradually increase my rating.

Granite Bay High School 1

Posted June 20, 2013
Has an awful drug problem. lots of drama AND peer pressure for your child at any grade

Posted June 01, 2013
I only got to attend GBHS for a while, however I loved it there and thrived as a student. We have great sports programs,challenging classes, and great electives! I fell in love with this school and its people. I think there is always going to be drama at any school. sure the stereotypical picture of granite bay students are rich, but they're not all spoiled brats, and rich. There's plain jane average people like me there! Plus, I absolutely adored the staff. All my teachers were very caring and they knew what best to teach the kids. When i first came to the school as a freshman I felt so welcomed. I took spanish 1 and 2, which are great classes! You'll also never find any other art program quite like GB's, the art classes are amazing. whether its drama or actual art, or ceramics, you're guranteed to have fun! And don't forget to join the tribe. The football games are so fun and its a great way to participate, same with the dances! Don't miss out, being a grizzly is amazing!

Posted May 30, 2013
My first experience with GBHS was when we listened to orientation for incoming freshmen, a current student at the podium said it can be lonely here and your friends will continue to change; wait she didn't just say that in front of parents and faculty? It's true, doesn't matter if your average or the popular cheerleader, kids are mean here. Yes, the IB/AP program is good, but unless you are at the top, you would be better off being closer to the top at a smaller school like Oakmont. Think about how best to package your child for college, before you send your child to GBHS, would you rather them be in the top 25% at GB or top 10% at Oakmont or Del Oro? Don't be fooled, most parents are asleep at the wheel and have no idea what their kids are up to or how they are being treated. As for the Administration here, they do what they can, it's a big school, but they do not have control of the school compared to other high schools in the area. I'm not trying to put down the administration, but they simply do not have strong enough leadership skills to make this school what it should be. The Eureka School District is great, so what the heck happens when these kids land at GBHS?

Posted April 30, 2013
I am extremely pleased with Granite Bay High School. The teachers fantastic and it is clear they LOVE teaching. My son had heard negative things about the school prior to his freshman year and he is socially shy yet he has thrived at GBHS. He is receiving an incredible education and his teachers have always been responsive to my questions and to assisting him after school whenever he has needed help with a subject. He has chosen the right friends and says he has never even been approached to buy/use drugs. The community is very involved in supporting this school district which is great for the kids. I am a single parent who moved to the area for the school district, my son is not into sports and I am more than pleased with the school and the district.

Granite Bay High School 2

Posted January 24, 2013
Granite bay contains many problems and graduating from here I know first hand. It's true the Ap and IB classes are good but if you expect to end up is a top notch college, think again. The teachers give little information about most subject and the ones that do teach only share the basic idea. The majority of the students go to Chico because they have trouble getting through the ap and IB tests given due to the lack of knowledge. The success rate is acceptable but most students score the bare minimum. In class everyday students learn how to solve, for example, x+2=y but on the day of the test are faced with x^5/2+(x-3)^2=y. The school spends most of the money of sports equipment hoping to collect more funds from parents and students are left with old ripped textbooks to study from. If are are enrolled here I hope you know how to learn by yourself, because that's what a lot of days will have to look like if you plan ti go to a well know college.

Granite Bay High School
1 Grizzly Way, Granite Bay, CA  95746
Last modified Granite Bay High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Granite Bay High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 37 reviews. Top