Granite Bay, CA
Students enrolled: 2,164

Granite Bay High School
Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted July 28, 2015
Great teachers that really care about teaching kids. My experience with teachers who taught AP and Honors were amazing. Challenging school. The actual administration could lighten up a little though.

Posted July 28, 2015
Challenging school with teachers who really push their students. Set me up to be successful in college.

Posted March 07, 2015
Previously a choir teacher, now a principal, Jennifer Leighton has set up all kinds of new rules since July 2014 to punish students. The learning environment is miserable now.

Granite Bay High School 2

Posted December 02, 2014
It's a great school IF your child is a great student, but if your child has difficulty or struggles academically then this is not the school for them. There is zero compassion for students that need extra academic help or that have any special circumstances. In the last 4 years I have only encountered 2 educators at this school that actually seemed sincere and displayed any type of compassion. They would rather bus out your child to other schools so they don't bring down the API score. It really is sad.

Granite Bay High School 3

Posted June 27, 2014
I think overall this school is pretty good, besides the drug problem, which is out of control. The school makes you very motivated and gives you a ton of work, depending how smart you are in completing the work. There is also some peer pressure, drama and some of the kids can be mean. I like how the school motivates you to do your best and even though the teachers give out a lot of work, it is good because it makes you more intelligent and independent. The school can improve if teachers would explain the work more in depth to the students and give students more time to do their work. Also, the teachers should recognize students that are peer pressured and/or on drugs and report it to the principal to do something about the problem and fix it. Overall, I made good friends here and enjoyed my time being here.

Posted June 13, 2014
Okay I go to granite bay and I want to clear up some of the "issues" that parents have. Fpr starters, yes there are drugs but that like every other highschool in the nation. During my three years here I have never once been pressured into doing any kind at all. The only time there is a drug problem is when your kid starts doing drugs, but that doesn't reflect the school, just bad parenting. Another issue is that kids here are rude. This is true as well, but its only a small majority of students who give a bad reputation and its up to your child to make good decisions on the friends that he or she makes. Most people here are quite nice and there is a place for anyone. People say horrible things about granite bay and that they want their child to have a better experience; a great experience can be found here if you raised your kid the correct way. So dont blame the school, there are so many great things and people here. Just hope that you raised your child well. Oh, and we all known that our academics are superb.

Granite Bay High School 3

Posted May 29, 2014
Typical of many schools in affluent areas, this school is a "mixed bag". It is very academically competitive, which is great for kids who can keep up, but little help is given to those who can't. The ethos seems to be that going to college is the only path and anything else is substandard. Navigating the school's social scene can be down-right treacherous. There is a clear divide between the "haves" and "have nots" (just look at the cars in the student parking lot). Bullying based on socio-economic factors has been an issue for us. Drugs can be a problem too when wealthy kids have too much time and money on their hands. We have opted for our second child to attend Del Oro instead and are having a much better experience. The students and parents are more down to earth, and the environment does force the kids to grow up so fast.

Posted August 11, 2013
We are very pleased with Granite Bay High School. First let me begin by saying our daughter was a transfer student from Sacramento Country Day School her sophomore year and we are so grateful to SCDS for advancing her the way they did while there. What brought our attention to GBHS was the newly implemented IB program that we were familiar with and so eagerly wanted DD to participate in. Also the convenience of the school being up the street, so no more rush hour drives into Sacramento. DD loved the thought of being able to participate in EC's because that was difficult at SCDS due to distance. GBHS staff allowed her to fully embrace her academics with continual support when needed. The IB curriculum was very vigorous which led to many tears at her computer on early mornings, but thats what made her. Her involvement in Speech and Debate and Track and Field taught her responsibility to manage her time while keeping her GPA up in IB. The school fostered a confidence in DD which will be everlasting and we are so grateful for that. Thank you Granite Bay for providing the vital tools needed so my DD can continue her academic journey with confidence at Dartmouth College, 'Class of 2017'!

Posted August 01, 2013
As a grandparent, I've witnessed some of the negative activities, and will need to see the positives to gradually increase my rating.

Posted June 20, 2013
Has an awful drug problem. lots of drama AND peer pressure for your child at any grade

Granite Bay High School
1 Grizzly Way, Granite Bay, CA  95746
Last modified Granite Bay High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Granite Bay High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 46 reviews. Top