Grazide Elementary School

Public | K-5

Living in Hacienda Heights

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $348,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,740.

Posted April 28, 2014

My child struggle on her first year in school I moved her to Grazide, they have great teachers and my daughter with her perseverance she is now in her third going fourth in Grazide every day can see her motivated to go school good grades and great experience for her. Go rams!

Posted March 19, 2014

Grazide is the Best, my son came from a school that he was struggling in at Kinder level, he was being complained about "everyday" by his teacher, since we moved to Grazide, Oh my goodness my son cries to go to school he absolutely loves his teacher and his teacher loves him, my son is doing so much better!

Posted March 4, 2014

Grazide is awesome. We are number 1! Go rams! Last year we had a unstoppable basketball team and also got #1 in Science Olympiad Competition. Mrs. Horseman is nice. Thanks to the hut. It sort of force students to do their homework, and to keep our school clean Even though Ms. Moss may not be good principal, she will get better and the school. It is kind of dissapointing that there isn't much pressure ob the kids this yeae. That helps the kids to be on task and make our school #1

Posted February 15, 2014

Last year, Mrs Horseman was a terrible principal. I can see where a lot of the negative principal comments are coming from - and yes, they are all true. However, at the start of this school year, Grazide got Miss Amy Moss! That woman goes above and beyond! While the school still has a few issues, I really hope Miss Moss is here to stay. She's a fantastic leader and the "clique-y" feel in the office has diminished a bit. We (as a family) do experience a bit of the outcast feeling expressed by others. I chalk it up to the community surrounding the school not being one that is entirely special-needs-friendly or supportive. If you have a mainstreamed special needs child, you should expect a struggle with the community, not the RSP support, current principal or staff.

Posted August 21, 2013

this school is awesome. Teacher for sure know what there doing.I love grazide. go rams

Posted May 21, 2013

The school itself is very nice. Structured, clean, organized..Academic wise I couldn't ask for anything more. I don't know about the other teachers but my son's kinder teacher was amazing. She helped him overcome his fears and achieve so much. Now onto the cons. There's cliques and bullying in that school. The PARENTS are the bullies. And the staff outside who knows those parents are quick to take sides. I was yelled at 3 times in matter of two days for doing what ALL parents do. Park in the front and run and grab the child. I saw so many other cars that did exactly that and I was targeted. Yelled at and scolded. And it topped the cake when the principle did it to me in front of the school, in front of other moms, in front of my child. And she had to get the last word in. I told her I parked here briefly because my rear bumper was hit few days ago. IN THE PARKING LOT. Her response, "you shouldn't have parked here in the first place." She wasn't concerned someone pulled a hit and run in her school. I left puzzled, didn't even want to stand there and argue. Not to mention my son was extremely upset and embarrassed at his mom being yelled at in front of his school by the principle.

Posted August 5, 2012

most of the noon aides do not take care of problems and they tell the kids to just say sorry even when its a real problem. There is only one noon aide that I know who actually takes care of problems and there is about 4-5 noon aides. They treat the 5th grades like babies. I know 5th grade is still young but they do need to be treated like a normal 10-11 year old. Not a 3 year old. I have to say academic wise it is pretty good. One of my friends daughters math teacher basically didnt even help her. There was a big test that took a fair portion of her math grade and she asked for help the day before the test and the teacher said, "Can we do it tomorrow?" She may have been busy and I understand that but its the day before a big test and you want to do it tomorrow? The test has been already done so what is the point of help? Couldnt the teacher make time to help my daughter for about 15 mins? Also the kids are not very nice and judge very quickly. A lot of the teachers always take the "teachers pet" side and always pick their hand for questions when they have answers. Its not that I dont like that a student knows the answer its the fact that what if a student has a question.

Posted June 28, 2012

Grazide is top-notch! They really challenge the students to excel. They strive to better not only the students each year, but the school and teachers as well. They have one of the highest API scores in the district and their administrators are fantastic. My child came from a private school that's supposed to be great--and she needed tutoring just to catch up to this PUBLIC school. I am very happy with Grazide, their teachers, their programs and their administration. Their PTA rocks and the parent involvement is beyond fabulous!

Posted June 6, 2012

My child finished this school last year and will finish 6 grade at a Lutheran school. He was a GATE student at Grazide so I thought he was getting best academics. But this year was a shock! His math was very good but language arts/critical thinking skills was behind at new school. He is ok now but he got tutoring. His cousin, my sister, loved St. Marks because of Christain values and good academics. Her daughter is now attending Troy IB program. I like the environment much better. My son has a lot more in common with kids at the new school. He seems pretty happy with news friends but misses old friends too. Grazide is ok compared to other schools in area but environment is very important too! My son say that the kids at Grzide not so nice and teachers pay favorites to PTA kids (I agree with other reviewer)

Posted March 12, 2012

This school is excellent. I am a teacher in another district, and I can clearly see the quality education Mrs. Horseman and the staff there provide. Both my children attend the school, and if I did not think it was the best around, they would be elsewhere. Mrs. Horseman is a quality leader, knowledgeable and dedicated. They have a lot of evening events and she is always present, as are a number of teachers. The PTA works very hard to help the teachers with their workload, sponsor and run events, and provide help and additional funds for all students at the school-not just their own

Posted March 9, 2012

MMy children have been attending Grazide for four years and my two older children have attended other schools prior to Grazide. In my experience with both staff and parent volunteers, Grazide is an excellent school with a strong foundation that helps prepare our children for their immediate futures. I take offense that a previous reviewer commented on the private lives of my fellow volunteers and PTA. We work behind the scenes to help our dedicated teachers provide the best education possible. We are not looking for your praise or deserve your ignorant views. It's difficult to manage our busy lives and blend our home lives with our volunteer work but we try because our children's futures (including the prior reviewer's) deserve the best we can give and in doing so, I've found an extended family at Grazide who want the best for our kids. As far as how the money is spent, the PTA has meetings that parents are invited to attend and vote on how the money is spent. Like in real like, you want a say, become a member and attend meetings and vote. Needless to say, my my kids are hard-working students that don't need Kumon or favoritism to succeed at Grazide. Sincerely Tiger Mom

Posted March 8, 2012

To all the teachers and PTA who care for our school and students. Many thanks for all your work and time that you put with all the kids. This is a big school compare to other elementary school. To make every parent happy it's not possible. I have Help teachers for many years and I think we have the best PTA staffs ever. To the parent who made comment yesterday, I am sorry that you felt this way about our school .. but both of my kids doing really well at school and they don't go to KUMOM or other academic help. Most of all they enjoy school. But I do agree that our school care too much about API score. This will put too much pressures on the teachers and children.

Posted March 7, 2012

This school has had high API scores - mostly as a result of tiger moms insistence on "enrichment" programs. So much competition amongst the moms & kids here about grades and academic performance. I found that most of these moms never attended college or just mediocre colleges and never really worked, even before having kids! Most don't work but just hangout at the parent workroom for most of the day. Doesn't anyone clean house or have hobbies? Maybe they don't have much else going on... Anyway, bullying goes on here because kids aren't disciplined so long as grades are good. PTA works hard to get special treatment for their own kids with the teachers and staff. They offer lots of gifts and food to teachers with the funds raised and not much for the kids themselves. Pretty much everyone is out for themselves. Not the best environment if you're looking for a sense of community and well rounded childhood experience.... Come here for the API but also make sure to enroll your kids in KUMON because you want them to know algebra in the 3rd grade, like everyone else here!

Posted November 25, 2011

If API score is only what you care then this is a good school. Personally, I am not satisfied with this school which is under the new management. "Caring for the students" is what I am looking for on top of test scores.

Posted April 17, 2011

im russell murray the first principal of grazide school and principal there for 10 years...it was my privilege to be the administrator of the first team tteaching school in the hacienda lapuente school district...my rating of course will show a bias

Posted October 8, 2010

I love Grazide! My two kids attend the school (k and 2) and they love going to school. The school is very well-managed with great leadership (Go, Ms. Horsemen!- love all these after-school programs you made available), high-quality teachers who actually care, and dedicated members of PTA. A public school at its best!

Posted October 8, 2010

Grazide's API scores have been excellent the past few years - 2005:908, 2006:916, 2007:904, 2008:911, 2009:927, and 2010:934. Grazide has also received the California Distinguished School award twice and has maintained attendance rates in the high 90 percentile. Considering it has a 600-student enrollment, Grazide's figures are impressive.

Posted June 9, 2010

To those parents that think that your kids are actually academically prepared by there parents, WHY do you take them to schooL? Leave your kids at home, if you think that they learn more at home. In my opinion, I have never had any problems with my kids. This school had exellent principal and teachers. To those parents that think that the principal is hypocrite, WHY, because your kids are not with a good disiplina and they get on trouble with the principal and teachers. Please parents open your "EYES" with your kids. Thank you to all the teachers for your help.

Posted May 25, 2010

I think the only reason why this school has great records is because the kids are actually academically prepared by their parents. My son had the best teacher who cared enough and gave so much time to teach him personally, out of her own time. The subsequent teachers just disregarded him,even branding kids with low grades as "unmotivated." I have never seen my son get depressed after school. What's more? The principal is not very objective who just wants a good record of her school. The "unmotivated" students give her a bad rep, so they are always reprimanded. All these plus a total disregard of a family's or a student's culture. Sad.

Posted February 25, 2010

The principle is a hypocrite, unfit to be an educator and a leader. If your kids can achieve acadamic excellence since pupilage, it a fair place to go and the P will welcome them because they could bring sheen of outstanding performance to her which is beneficial to her promotion and salary. But America's past, present and future is not only built by straignt-A early-blooming elites, but also individuals with talents in various different areas, and hearts and minds can tell what is right and wrong and act with great courage and uprightness. Most of the children attending this school are not old enough to get on this site and leave their comments; even they did so, many viewer will not take them seriously for their young age, but they know what is caring, love, truthful, sometimes even better than adults, and they remember unfair hurting to their self-esteem.

This school's

(2012)

10 / 10

2 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

10 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

2 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

118 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

118 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

100 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

100 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

88 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

89 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

105 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

107 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

105 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students90%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 29%N/AN/A
English language learners 21%N/AN/A

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

2850 Leopold Avenue