No rating

St. Joseph Elementary School

Private | PK-8 | 330 students

Our school is best known for our family atmosphere and strong Catholic identity.

Living in Hawthorne

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $328,800. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,240.

Posted September 12, 2014

I attended this school & the progression has been outstanding! In ten years since I've attended, and the outstanding leadership of their former Principal, St. Joseph School made so many changes for the benefit of their students & for the better! Every student has an iPad that is connected to the school wide wi-fi connection loaded with all the educational tools to use in the classroom. There's also Schoolwide Learning Expectations (SLEs) that every student are required to do, the began while I was in the 6th grade, that have been fine-tuned, and have shaped many young men & women into well-rounded individuals. Faith is always in the center of student life here at St. Joseph, with ample opportunity to serve the Lord and the community. Although the present faculty are completely different individuals when I attended school there, they still have the same motivation & compassion towards teaching the student body. The office staff & volunteers are still the sweetest people you'd ever meet, consisting of former & present St. Joseph parents, who love this historic Hawthorne education institution. I can't wait to see what the new principal brings to my beloved Alma Mater!

Posted January 18, 2013

If you want the BEST for your child, and can afford it, then you should send your child to attend here. As a graduate from a public IVY, almost all the leaders on our campus were from a catholic education. Go to any University and see who are excelling there. They teach you hard work, discipline, and with an advanced education.

Posted July 21, 2012

The Principal was great and an amazing role model. She cares tremendously for her students! The teachers are amazing and prepare you for high school. The activities were great when i was a student there and I'm sure it's better now! I was at this school from k-8. -Graduate from 2008.

Posted October 12, 2011

I have never been as disappointed in an educuational facility as with St. Joseph's. My four year old son attended for about four months and in that time he was reprimanded for typical four year old behavior more than was appropriate. Their Kiddy Kollege (Yes, it is with a 'K') is unimpressive and the Pre-K class is run with as much attention and focus as a Saturday Night babysitter. Waste of money, waste of time, and worst of all...waste of my handsome boy's life. If you are interested in St. Joseph's because of it's small class sizes and beautiful campus you are better of with a few of the surrounding charters schools, especially in the Wiseburn District. Good luck and good riddance St. Joseph's.

Posted May 27, 2011

This school is not worth the money. My son would have done alot better in a public school. The 7th and 8th grade teachers(same 3 teachers for both grades) do not communicate with the parents very often. They are not available after school or by telephone and if you try to meet them before school they do not have time to talk. All I wanted was to know from them was how my son was doing. Unless you are one of the parents who is doing work for the school they do not care about you. The principal is also very mean and is not easily accessable. Alot of parents I have spoke with do not like her but everyone is afraid to say anything. She is very mean to the students. I have seen her be mean to a first grader because her parents forgot to send the payment for her lunch. At the end of the day this school is a business and care more about the money coming in then the actual students. Please think twice before spending your money. Public schools want your kids to do better. But this school does not care what struggles your kids have as long as you pay your fees and tuition on time. Please do your reasearch!!!

Posted August 26, 2010

The parent who wrote in Aug. 2005: "I would of been better of sending them to the local public schools. The majority of the teachers were foriegn and couldn't speak english fluently" needs a little review in English grammar and spelling herself. (Can you spot the four errors?!)

Posted March 5, 2010

The public schools in this area are out-performing St. Joseph's. I am very disappointed and plan on removing my child.

Posted March 1, 2009

I attended St Joseph's School 20 years ago. I currently have 2 daughters enrolled there. I must say the school is 100x better than when I was there. I am so proud of the progress my daughters have made. My oldest has been on the honor roll the whole time she's been there. The principal is wonderful. She does what needs to be done and is fair. I have been very impressed with the teachers.

Posted August 18, 2008

Excellent private school and exceeds my expectations! It's truly a 'family' oriented school!

Posted April 14, 2008

All 4 of my children at St. Joseph, they range from Pre-k through 8th. They ve attended for 9 years (not counting the years my husband attended). If he decided to come back after so many years they must be doing something right. My son will be graduating this year he has applied to various High Schools, private, charter and public and he has been accepted to every single one of them with Honors classes and scholarships, this shows that attending St. Joes has paid off. The attention that we receive from the staff is incredible! You can be sure that the teachers are here to teach because it comes from the heart and not because they want a paycheck. Of course, we have had our ups and downs, but the ups are always better than the downs.

Posted January 17, 2008

Im a student of Saint Joseph school and Im currently in 8th grade. I like my school becasue of our supportive teachers, our fun edvents, and all the memories it has given me. The teachers are vey kind, and help us whenver we need it! We have fun events adn field trips. Take it from a student.. this is a great school that im sure your chilid will like and succeed in.We do have strict polices but im gald we do because ive grwon to be more disipline, and i think im a better person overall.
—Submitted by a student

Posted October 17, 2007

I think this school is great. My three children have attended St. Joseph's. This is my 14th year at St. Joseph's and I could tell you that the administration has changed for the better. The principal is a caring person who we can turn to for help and support. She is a caring person but at the same time she enforces rules and regulations. I have also seen an improvement in the quality of the teachers that are hired. Sure it is expensive but I believe it is worth every penny.

Posted July 24, 2007

St. Joseph has a good learning environment for kids. The office staff is very nice. They have good commited teachers. The parents are very involved with there kids educations and it shows.

Posted June 15, 2007

St. Joes has awsome techers who make a positive impact. I support it 100%

Posted December 2, 2006

St. Joseph's school has been a great experience for both of my children. I'm very happy with the leadership of the principal. She conducts herself in a professional manner and has an open door policy for parents to come and speak to her. The staff and teachers are very friendly and the students feel cared for. The school offers cheerleading, sports and student council. Teachers do a great job of keeping parents involved by communicating through newsletters, phone calls and email. We shouldn't expect for teachers to do our jobs as parents. If we want our children to succeed we need to stay involved and take responsibility. The principal, teachers and staff can't do all the work and they should'nt have to. St Joseph's School has helped my kids accomplish many of their goals, it's a great school that exceeds my expectations.

Posted April 27, 2006

I'm not at all happy with this school. I thought if I put my daughter in private school. She'll have a better education. I was wrong. I feel like I'm all alone with no help from the teacher or staff. This year will be my daughter last year. I do not plan to take my daughter back. The principal does not care at all. I do not recommend this school at all. My daughter attend for 3 years and she could of had the same education at a public school. Don't waste your money at St. Joseph not worth paying for.

Posted August 19, 2005

I thought sending my children to a private school would prepare them for high school. I would of been better of sending them to the local public schools. The majority of the teachers were foriegn and couldn't speak english fluently. There are other better private schools near by in El Segundo and Manhattan Beach.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Tagalog
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

School start time
  • 7:45 am
School end time
  • 2:45 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Dr. Roy Quinto
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Roman Catholic
Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (310) 679-1310

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• College prep
  • Core knowledge
  • Project-based
  • Standards-based
  • Teacher-run
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Global
  • Religious
  • Service learning
  • Social justice
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Chapel/spiritual reflection center
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Performance stage
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Los Angeles

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

9 out of 10students were accepted for the 2014-2015 school year.

Students accepted for the 2014-2015 school year

Financial aid offered
School-based aid
Outside scholarships

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Bishop Montgomery High School