Hawthorne, CA
Students enrolled: 1,947

Posted June 22, 2014
This school is a great place to send your kids theirs academies that help students figure out their future. Mr.pacheco is a great teacher he helped me learn basic engineering skills and helped out 10 students get scholarships including myself. People talk bad about this school because of first impressions but don't judge a book by it's cover.teachers are awsome you just need to cooperate with them. Dr.newell is the best principle I ever had all students have so much respect for him. I just graduated from there and I am a proud Hawthorne graduate

Posted May 16, 2014
Most of the teachers are really bad, they don't put effort into their students and work. At this school, the teachers are either horrible, or if you're lucky, wonderful. I've been in classes where the teacher had loads of grammatical errors in their PowerPoint, faithfully. And the secretaries in the office are THE WORST. Lazy beyond belief. When I first enrolled into the school, they gave me and my mom the run around for at least a week when people came in for the first full week of school. They'd say, come back tomorrow, and you can finish getting this and that done, so that another secretary could be burdened by it since there were lots of students enrolling, but it was always morning time. Counselors have lost my papers for specific things, and since they didn't want to fill out paperwork for me to switch to Lloyd, they've said Lloyd isn't accepting or even Lloyd won't allow you because of absences. I've even had a counselor tell me come and see me tomorrow, then take off work the day of the appointment. When I was being transferred to be homeschooled, they tried to hold my transfers hostage saying I'd have to attend for x amount of days, when it was for money from the district.

Hawthorne High School 4

Posted March 11, 2014
Hawthorne High School is a great school to attend. Four of my children have attended this school, and out of that four three went on to college. One is now in the Airforce and the others are in school. This school did have a lot of good teachers about five years ago, but with budget cuts some were given pink slips. Hawthorne still have great teachers you just have to network to find who is who. There are good kids at this school and there are bad kids at this school as with anyhing nothings perfect. Dr. Newell is a great principal. At one point I had a problem with a teacher and the situation was handle well by Dr. Newell. He is fair and he doesn't tolerate nonsense. The kids really have a high respect for him and when he walks through the corridor they get their act together. I know from personal experience that this man will go above and beyond to protect these kids. Yes there are gangs and drugs. Once he is made aware of a problem even security that child is imediately removed. If you teach your kids who to pick and choose as their friends they'll enjoy this campus. If you let your child raise them self...good luck!

Hawthorne High School 1

Posted January 02, 2014
This school is unprofessional and a joke. The principal Mark Newell doesn't know squat about being a good administrator. There is no real professional development to help teachers out. Dr. Nicholas is also a joke. Nicholas has no teaching experience at all, she went from being a counselor to a teacher. Nicholas only knew George Zuk the special education director so she got the job. This school is a joke. There are some good teachers but the administration is pathetic.

Posted May 06, 2012
this is really a okay school All the dedicated teachers left to other schools & there is many drugs / pregnant teens on campus #swag

Hawthorne High School 3

Posted January 13, 2012
As an Alumni from 2001, and having worked at the school for 4 years after graduation as a volunteer and having had relatives attend this school since, my impression is that HHS is an average school. The academics are average, but there are a handful of great teachers. It's up to the student to seek these teachers out and insist to counselors that they be placed in those classrooms. This school offers a handful of A.P. courses, but also has several non-college prep classes so if your child is college-bound they should not waste their time taking pottery, wood shop, or Physical/Life Science. This school does track their students (high potential students are placed with good teachers and honors classes and plain students can be encouraged to take non-college prep courses). It's up to you and your child to inform the counselor of their intent to attend a 4-year University or they may be disappointed at the end of their senior year. I went on to attend a 4-year and earn a Masters from USC. I learned things at HHS, both positive and negative, but always used my head and avoided the "wrong" crowds. If your child is smart and not easily influenced by others then this school isn't that bad.

Posted June 24, 2011
i am a student at hawthorne high school that had transferd from a private high school and what i have to say about hawthorne high is that it is the worst school i have ever went. i am just a freshman but i still think it is horrible. there is drugs, and gangs on school grounds. but not all is bad about this school, the acadamey such as enginering is really excellent. the only problem about this school is all the students. if they would care about school this will be great a great school. another thing that is great is NJROTC. this class is instructed by navy and aswell teaches you to care about school aswell. if you ever had a better chose to another school then hawthorne, then go. the only people who cares about our education in this school is the teachers. but they can not make us learn is the problem.

Posted October 12, 2008
I choose for my daughter to attend this school. It's a very structured school with great teachers, excellent security, nice sized classes, and the parental involvement is there at Hawthorne High school. The teens are on their way. I don't know of any other school to suggest It's the best My daughter loves it.

Posted September 21, 2007

Hawthorne High School 0

Posted August 10, 2007
- a former student
Hawthorne is not a bad school. I went there from 83-87 , my son went there for 1 year. He loved it but we moved away . Its not the school its how the parents raise their children, its about respect & manners & a lot of kids do not have any so they want to blame the school.They are doing their job with the best they have . Get involved with the school and your child you'll see what outcome you will have there.

Hawthorne High School
4859 West El Segundo Boulevard, Hawthorne, CA  90250
Last modified Hawthorne High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hawthorne High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top