Hawthorne, CA

Posted May 02, 2014
Best elementary school in Hawthorne! The staff is professional and supportive. I appreciate the fact that Ramona enforce the teacher/staff identification policy, in order to keep the children's safety a priority. (not many/if any schools in Hawthorne enforce it) --Substitute Teacher

Posted October 10, 2013
This is my sons second year here. Although I am not a fan of the larger class sizes and minimal staff at recess, I enjoy the teachers & the staff they do have. Most importantly, my boy loves his school. Both of my sons teachers have taught my boy so much. They have provided us with additional curriculum (helpful memos on books/websites for student access/after school program/workshops) that we can also work on with my son at home. I believe every parent needs to put in as much (if not more) time and effort in our kids education as the Teacher's do. Reasons I didn't give it a 5: Pick up/drop off a the school can be pretty chaotic (over crowded at gate, no one to monitor parents who park in red or in the middle of street endangering every child's well being with their driving). Both my husband and I have complained to the office but not much they can do other than call the HPD Parking Enforcement, who has yet to show up this year! Minimal staff at recess/lunch to watch over children Student teacher ratio is too high (more of a reason for a parent to be hands on) Other than that, the school curriculum, staff and students are all wonderful! Always helpful and reachable!

Posted August 12, 2013
My kids had an excellent first year at Ramona after moving to this school. Both of their teachers were 10+. My kids participated in the afterschool program which gave them the opportunity to do extracurricular activities no longer available in the classrooms due to budget cuts. Their bilingual program is excellent and nothing like it in any other school in the area. My son is fluent in both English and Spanish. Premises are spacious and clean, and my kids really liked the computer lab. I would love to see smaller class sizes (my daughter was 1 of 32), but this is becoming less of an option in all schools. Her grades and test scores did not suffer however. Props to her teacher!

Posted June 23, 2012
I am a parent of two kids going to Ramona. My kids love their school. I have never had a problen with their academics work. The teachers and principal are very involved the all the students academic work and they are very nice as well. I will recommend Ramona to any parent to enroll their children.

Posted March 01, 2012
I have been a parent with 3 kids going to Ramona. My oldest is in 5th grade in the TWBI (Spanish Program). That program is very challenging and is amazing. He speaks Spanish fluently and we are an English only family. I do not recommend the immersion program if Spanish is a family's primary language. Too bad that the 5th grade teacher this 2011-2012 year has had a long sick leave and there have been 2 long term subs. Other than this year all the other years were great! My girl is in 3rd and chose English only. She has done very well. Her teachers have been great and they are very caring. The only drawback is some other children are noisy and the whole class suffers because of it. Computer lab time or checking out books from the library can't happen with misbehaving students. My 3rd child had Spanish for K, but the Spanish program was very difficult for him, so he is now in English 1st grade. He is catching up fine, but this year class sizes increased and that is a disadvantage for him. The parent involvement is lacking. The most involved parents are in the amazing TWBI program. The PTA is always begging for support but are more active than some other schools.

Posted May 12, 2010
Nice clean school. Teachers are very nice.

Posted May 12, 2010
My child loves this school. The teachers are nice and overall looks very clean. They seem to care about the students.

Posted July 18, 2009

Posted February 27, 2008
I have two children in the two way bilingual immersion program. They are learning Spanish. We do not speak Spanish at home. At times it can be very challenging because the homework is in Spanish. However, I have seen my children excel. They are able to have a conversation with someone in Spanish. Not only are they speaking in Spanish, but reading and writing also. The teachers are wonderful. Once a month there is a parent meeting and the teachers share ideas that parents can use to help their children at home. Other parents have been very helpful, especially with homework questions. It's easy to call another parent on the phone during homework time and they are willing to help. I would recommend this program to anyone who wants their child to learn Spanish and English at the same time.

Posted September 21, 2007

Ramona School
4617 West 136th Street, Hawthorne, CA  90250
Last modified Ramona School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ramona School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top