8, 10-12
Public charter
Hawthorne, CA

Da Vinci Design School 1

Posted September 18, 2014
This school has been a waste of 4 years of my life. No football, no basketball, a makeshift soccer team, no music, etc. the structure is horrible, with teachers plucked right out of college at sometimes even 21 years old. Mastery based grading is a scam to increase grades and scores for uninterested students, and false information will be sent to colleges to increase "success" rates. There is no sense of community here, although it is emphasized. Where colorful Hawaiian shirts are allowed because of the collar, plain white T-Shirts are not. A unit involving race and profiling was introduced in senior year, where an example was brought up of the Abercrombie store hiring people based on their physical appearance. Yet, 70% of the teachers here are blonde haired, blue eyed young women! When being "taught" material, the teachers will progress based on the 1% of students who actually understand the material. To sum it up, the school is a scam to get students who have little understanding into colleges that think the grades are real. If you want your child to have a normal high school experience, with large numbers, football games, and other sports, any other school in LA is better.

Posted April 02, 2014
My daughter attended Da Vinci Design for 4 years and graduated in 2013. She now attends Marymount University in Palos Verdes. She was one of the captains of Da Vinci Dance team. She put together a after school dance program for the students who went to the Del Air Park program. Da Vinci Design students are well educated and don't wait to become adults before the begin becoming active participants in society. They are active and volunteer their time at the churches, parks, police departments and schools. Where there's a need Da Vinci Design students will fill it. Keep making a difference Da Vinci Design!!!!

Da Vinci Design School 2

Posted February 25, 2014
I am a current student of Design and quite frankly, Da Vinci Design is not the best school out there. Look, I didn't spend all four years at Da Vinci I lived somewhere else for two years and went to a school that was extremely competitive (I was receiving an equal amount of B's and A's) but here I receive all A's. Yes, I have taken ALL the "college-prep" courses and they are not as difficult as the school makes it seem. In most classes, the school's grading system is designed to ensure students pass, which is ridiculous. Though many of the parents here comment on the relationship between the principal and them, in reality, the principal is not the one teaching their kids. The school is young (there is a limited amount of seminars and an even smaller amount of teachers of those seminars who actually care), the staff is lazy and for the most part unresponsive, and the teachers are young and lack experience (realize that means they have never taught before and will cost a students his/her grades). However, b/c the school content is so easy, GPAs are bumped up and meaning that when I graduate, I will appeal to better colleges though I may be severely under-prepped for them.

Da Vinci Design School 3

Posted August 28, 2013
Da Vinci Design High School was a wonderful experience under the leadership of the past Principal and AP. However, they have now left the school. They do need to improve the quality of some of the teachers at DVD and make sure that they hit the mark prior to being hired. There are a few really fantastic teachers, but some of them come up short. Also, many parents and students were disturbed by the choice of book chosen for the senior class by one of the teachers, which was sexually explicit involving a minor. The school is definitely better than most public schools out there, but just be pro-active and stay involved.

Posted August 22, 2013
This is our second year at Davinci Innovation Academy (K-6) and we (husband, myself and son) are more than happy with our experience!! The teachers, support staff, vice principal and principal really walk their talk. Kids and their positive learning experience are clearly the priority! Communication between parents and teachers/staff is easy and well received. Any requests or questions we had were responded to promptly. Parents and students are encouraged to voice feedback, requests, etc and when we did, we felt heard and changes were actually implemented. The hands on learning (project-based learning) is fantastic. My son looked forward to school every morning and was eager to share about his day when I picked him up from school. The school policy is compassion-based communication and students are not diminished or "punished" in any way even when behaviors need to be addressed. Clear, honest communication and solution-based problem solving is the focus. This approach has proven to be very successful for all involved. The children are encouraged and supported in ways we have never experienced before coming to Davinci. Wish we had known about the school earlier!

Da Vinci Design School 2

Posted April 05, 2013
My child attended this school for 2 years. Most of teachers she had were great, but so much drama with so many students. She wanted to discontinue attending there from Junior year. Now she is happy at another school. DaVinci held student's lunch funds for "Nutri Kids", and they discontinued business with them from July 2012. I have been requesting for the remaining balance of $65.00 to be refunded since July. It has been almost 10 months; I still have not seen a dime coming back. School have been ignoring my e-mail, phone calls, etc. I am now going to report them to CCSA and CDOE for misconduct of the funds that does not belong to them. School even failed to keep the record for physical fitness test results for entire students (they blamed the State), and my daughter had to retake the classes for credits at the new school. I don't know if this school is lacking morality or desperately disorganized. Many students won't return to this school following year. ...If your child enrolled this school and comes home with good grade, don't think he/she will get the same grade at different school.

Posted December 22, 2012
I am thrilled with Da Vinci Design. My son is a sophomore there and loves it. The school is small and the teachers are extremely dedicated. Whenever I have visited the students are happy and well behaved. If my son needs help he can go to school early or stay late and get the help he needs. This is not a school for slackers. It requires hard work from the students and a strong level of support and commitment from the parents. The learning is project based where all subjects are integrated. The students work in teams to apply their learning and create projects that include their own web pages, brochures, models, charts, business plans, reports, power points, and presentation. Exhibition night is always very impressive. The students dress professionally and present their projects, while the families visit the classrooms. The amount of work and creativity that goes into these projects is quite amazing. I am so thrilled that my son is a part of this school, that he is learning so much, and that he is learning to work with a team. I believe that he is gaining valuable life skills about hard work, teamwork, deadlines and responsibility. It's a great school!

Posted September 19, 2012
DaVinci Design is an amazing school. Our family feels very blessed to have our child there. The teachers care a great deal and are available before and after school, as well as lunchtime to help. They go out of their way to remain in contact with the parents and the students. (Several of them have even given me their personal cell phone numbers!) DaVinci Design has a project based curriculum, which means that the kids learn real life skills. They actually master their subjects! Cramming for a test won't get you real far at DaVinci...the goal is LEARNING. I read another review that suggested that the principal is uncaring and arrogant....I am wondering if this is actually a real parent from DaVinci Design, as this is so far from my experience. I have found the opposite...she has been amazing supportive and positive with our family. She is wonderful! The whole attitude at the school is positive. I LOVE this school!

Posted August 16, 2012
this is a great school, teachers are always there to help students, yes it is before or after school, or druing lunch, as i seen on a review teachers cannot stop a lesson just to explain to one student thats why they can go after school, but teacher do offer all the help they can get. so if you child dont take advantage dont blame it on the school or staff, its upon you as a parent and the student to perform their best and be on top of things they are going into adulthood and life is not easy. Also the school has college prep classes something HS dont offer, and its a great thing. the teachers a caring and want to see all student succeed and that amazing to see. the school is just like a family enviorment

Da Vinci Design School 1

Posted June 12, 2012
This is the most unorganized, incommunicative school I have ever seen. The teachers as well as the principal have a sink or swim mentality. They do not communicate with you on your childs progress or lack of. Please parents think twice about enrolling your children in this school. The only offer they give your child is to see them before or after school if they are struggling. The principal is arrogant and does not care about the students.

Da Vinci Design School
12501 Isis Avenue, Hawthorne, CA  90250
Last modified Da Vinci Design School is a Charter school that serves grades 8, 10-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Da Vinci Design School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 11 reviews. Top