Hayward, CA
Students enrolled: 1,640

Posted April 03, 2014
Worst school ever! Went to this school all 4 years and each year became increasingly worse. The school's faculty is incompetent, lazy, and they do not put in an effort to make the school a more fun and enjoyable place. Instead they add more unnecessary rules that makes the students hate the school even more. You can count the amount of good teachers at this school with only one hand. Do not send your child to this school, or any other school in Hayward.

Posted August 20, 2013
This is really a pretty decent high school. It's a normal, healthy, safe school. My kids attend here. We have not had any experiences with rampant drug problems, neither have we had or seen problems with violence. Our kids are very happy with their teachers, classes, and the whole school, and as parents, so are we. The prinicipal, vp's and faculty are all so friendly and helpful. Whenever I drop off or pick up the kids, the students I see are interacting in fun and healthy ways, with smiles. No complaints from us. Hayward High is a great school that flies under the radar. The district in general seems to run a pretty tight ship.

Hayward High School 4

Posted January 09, 2013
The school has its ups and downs, just like all schools. There are a lot of great teachers at this school that truly care for their students, and there are also a few that shouldn't be teaching there. Great AP classes and great honors courses. Great music program and a very dedicated music teacher. Ethnic studies is also offered at HHS and is a great social justice class that many high schools don't offer. As for the "problems", there are always fights and drug use at every high school. Hayward high school certainly isn't the extreme of this. People have a common misconception that Hayward is a riot school full of drug everywhere. The school can also use a make over, but the district is in charge of funding for that, not the school, and not the principle. Overall, an average high school with a uniquely ethnically diverse student demographic.

Posted June 20, 2012
Went here and graduated in the top 3% of my class. Students in the regular classes are not challenged enough. I had to take Honors and AP classes to guarantee a decent education. In my senior year the school received new teachers (fresh Berkley grads) who dramatically increased the quality of education in the school. Unfortunately the student body was not used to being challenged, parents complained and these teachers were pink slipped out of the school; way to go Hayward High. Fights were regular, racial tensions between African Americans and Latinos was ever present and most people didn't care about the education they were receiving. I wouldn't describe this school as an environment that is conducive to scholastic achievement or even good memories. Avoid sending your children to public schools in Hayward. I recommend a good private school or homeschooling, letting them finish early and sending them to a good community college. By the time their friends are graduating high school, they can transfer to a good school like UC Berkeley.

Hayward High School 2

Posted June 18, 2010
My son finished HHS this year. The school seemed to be up and coming when he entered as a freshman. The block schedule allowed him time to really get to know his teachers and feel valuable on a huge campus. In addition to going to a "normal" 6 period schedule & less face time with the teachers. The district decided to "close" the campus. This is a joke because there are huge holes in the fencing, I see students at nearby fast foods regularly. Several student smoke weed and gamble on the back side of the school daily. There have been more fights since the lock down. In order to get in all the instructional minutes the day has been lengthened. The schools scores have dropped sharply! My other son is in middle school and I've chosen to take him out of the district.

Posted March 12, 2010
Hayward High is a great school with plenty of opportunities for students who are looking for them. I have three students attending and one is graduating this year. All three are in the puente program and are doing very well. The counselors are very supportive and give plenty of information about universities and scholarships available to students. I have heard of troubles and fights at the school, but my kids have never been involved with any of them. If you're looking for trouble, I'm sure you will find it but you can also find opportunities and trouble free activities if you're interested. I have been very happy with Hayward High School despite what rating it has, I would highly recommend the school because of the teachers and counselors that are always ready to help.

Hayward High School 2

Posted March 08, 2010
The school lacks the money and programs compared to other schools in HUSD. The campus also feels dangerous and there are numerous fights every year. Hayward High school it the second lowest school based on CST Testing. Truly Sad. If I had the opportunity to leave I would in a heartbeat. The only thing a student has to look forward to at this school are programs like AVID, Puente and The annual Down Town Rally. Other than that the school is a huge disappointment.

Posted February 05, 2010
I have one child who have graduated from HHS in 08 and one graduating this year. It is a great school and we have never had any problems there. If your child is looking for trouble they will find it just like in any High School. This school offers AP classes,along with all others. I would recomend this school to anyone who asks.

Posted January 03, 2010

Hayward High School 0

Posted September 16, 2009
They have a great band and a very supportive Band teacher who wants to see the children excel in their musical skills but because of budget cuts the children may not be given the opportunities that await them at this time.

Hayward High School
1633 East Avenue, Hayward, CA  94541
Last modified Hayward High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hayward High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 37 reviews. Top