Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

Though there are a few who are excellent, such as Mrs. McInnis, Ms. Dixon, and Ms. Costa.

Develops character: Disagree

This school is staff centered not student centered. The focus of most of the teachers here is not whats best for their students,but rather, their own wants and issues. Each year, two of the three 6th grade I've witnessed this firsthand for years. I'm surprised the kids do not need therapy after leaving this school. The school is an open campus (it sits on Southgate Park and is NOT gated). The PE teacher has students running around the park unsupervised as he stands near the portables having conversations with other teachers. I just hope something does not happen to one of those precious kids. Leadership is fair. The principal is kind to a fault. He is too focused on being a friend as opposed to a leader. This has created and fueled much " girl drama". The grounds are maintained as best as can be expected by the day custodian. However, the restrooms are consistently filthy and evening custodians are few and far between.

So far this school has been better than I expected. My child received special ed support for speech and RSP and the difference in terms of how it was at the very beginning compared to the second and third trimester was remarkable. Also my child's regular teacher is amazing, super caring and always open to help and find solutions as needed. Hope to have the same good luck next year.

I love this school, teachers and staff are very nice and interested in the children. I have two children here and they love it. Very supportive

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE SOUTHGATE my child has been attending for almost 7-years and I have a another child soon to start this year. I only experienced my child having one terrible teacher and that's CHILDRESS smh but you cant win them all. I do agree with some of the parents below children is allowed to correct homework and on several occasions I noticed answers was correct, BUT MARKED INCORRECT and I pointed it out to the teacher and she did not change the homework to reflect correct or change the grade. I have never met a teacher who gives most of the kids in the class D's within the first two weeks of school smh SHAME ON YOU 5TH GRADE TEACHER. On a better note the office staff is always friendly and upbeat. I have never experience a moment when I have walked in and not been acknowledge right away in thats out of 6-years. My children and I look forward to another wonderful year at southgate...TEACHERS AND STAFF KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!

my wife told me about the ladies at the front desk but I din't believe her so today feb-14 -2012 I went to see if I can meet with one of my son teachers I went to the front desk and this two ladies completely ignore me it was more important for them to be showing each other their emails and gossiping this is really rude I hope I can get somebody's attention

My three children attended Southgate. This school is full of incompetent teachers. I have even dealt with an abusive Kindergarten teacher who would yell at her students. The teachers do not pay attention to what is going on in their own classroom such as kids demonstrating inappropriate behavior. This school is not safe as the staff make it so that the children are afraid to report anything that happens for fear that all people involved will get in trouble even when they were the one being picked on. Teachers don't even grade their own homework and return papers asking for the child to correct the assignment when it is correct but mistakenly marked as incorrect by a student. I am so happy for my children to be out of this horrible school.

My children have attend and one will graduate in the coming year... I have appreicated the values and the teamwork that this school has installed in my students... the teachers have been able to challenge my student to make sure he works to the best of his ability. Thanks

I have been with Southgate for almost 7 years now and I love the staff and administrators. Southgate has a great academic program and the teachers go above and beyond to help all of the children that attend Southgate. I only wish that the parents of the students got more involved with the school and there childrens education. Southgates demise is not the teachers of the administration it's the lack of parental involvement. If we could turn that aspect around, Southgate would be a 5 star school.

Last modified Southgate Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.