Winton Middle School

Public | 7-8

Posted May 28, 2014

Students who act up and stop other children from learning do not get punished. My daughter told me how a boy in her class hit another child in the privates and was not suspended. I even hear about how when teachers call security that no one comes. The teachers do not want to stay at that school, either. Each year there are lots of new teachers. There is no gangs, but it is not like the kids are learning much when bad students prevent teachers from doing their job and the principal doesn't do anything. I'm not Hispanic but no one in the office speaks Spanish. The principal does not try to get parents involved. We don't hear anything about what's going on.

Posted March 23, 2014

Any parent/student considering this school has to be out of their minds. My home got broken into. (see how often police are at the school). I hear terrible language as students hit the street (Can only imagine what is happening in class). Friend said the principal never keeps his word to the parents. Frustrating for the community because we are paying for better. Please do something board of ed.

Posted April 12, 2013

I like this school, but there are some things I don't like. Many students are rude, disrespectful, and could care less about their grades. Some teachers are unfair. Nobody likes the principal and vice. There's too many fights this year than last year. This is my last year in Winton. I doubt the 7th graders would ever take 8th grade seriously. -.-

Posted March 7, 2013

This School Is Hella Fun And Yes I Do Go Here! :D I Think It Is A Great School Filled With Great Students And There Are Some Good Teachers But Some Teachers Need To Go Back To School To Learn How To Teach Cuz They Just Yell At Us An Say Do This And They Dnt Give Details Or Examples.... HORRIBLE! But Other Then That It Is A Great School!

Posted April 8, 2011

I attended Winton Middle School from 03 to 05 and I detest every negative comment that has been posted about this school. In terms of education I can state unequivocally that Winton Middle School offers a very competitive and thorough education. The schools reputation is so renowned that other students from around the area were transferring into the school while I was attending. The only downside that one might feel Winton has is its student body (which may or may not be a little ghetto); however, I am going to lay those "fears" to rest by giving you a comparative example. After growing up in Hayward (shortly after graduating from Winton) my family and I moved to Eugene OR which is a polar opposite to Hayward. The school was 70% white, and there was absolutely no diversity (white people are weak). The student body at Winton is very diverse which is a VERY good thing, the teachers are excellent (unless if you by a rare chance get stuck with a teacher from another country who has trouble with English), the dances are the BEST (PS white people have no rhythm see above), for me Winton was a very fun and positive experience that I would not hesitate to go back to if I had the chance.

Posted March 8, 2010

I would never recommend Winton Middle School to anyone. The principal is completely unavailable and never return calls. I understand the Econimic situation is stressful, but the teachers act like they do not appreciate their jobs. God forbid they need to go an extra mile for a student! In my opinion they simply clock in, unhapily perform their jobs @ a substandard level & clock out..........period

Posted March 4, 2010

I agree with EVERYTHING written here. But t he teachers are not the bad people the students are!!! And I'm a STUDENT currently going to Winton AND I LOVE IT. My favorite teacher there is Mr.LEE!!!!!!( HATE TO SEE HIM LEAVE NEXT YEAR!)
—Submitted by a student

Posted June 27, 2008

I'm still undecided about my daughter returning, some of the teachers there, I feel don't really know their subject, definitely needs better leadership, and teachers.

Posted May 22, 2008

My child will not be returning to this school next year. I am an active parent. I am on a first name basis with Mr. West as well as Ms. Tess. I'm friendly with majority of the adminstration there. I volunteer at school dance and anywhere else that's needed. The lack of strong teachers is just one of the many problems my child has. This school needs better leaders and teachers.

Posted May 5, 2008

As the school year draws to an end, I leave feeling very disappointed. Some classes have been taught all year long by various substitute teachers. The principal is unreliable and doesn't return phone calls. I agree with earlier comments, Ms. Tess is great, but it takes more than one person to make a school work.

Posted March 19, 2008

My biggest concern is that there are not enough textbooks for the students to take home. Therefore, little to no homework is ever assigned because they don't have their own textbook.

Posted March 16, 2008

I completely agree with everything mentioned here about Principal West. However things have been alot better this year for my child. I've had multiple conversations with Vice Principal Lisa Tess and she seems to truly care about the students. Sure the school has had some issues in the past, but I am very pleased with how the school year is going so far, and I am confident that it will only get better for my daughter during the rest of her time there.

Posted December 20, 2007

This school puts every student in a 'family' a group of teachers that work together and with the parents to help the students.

Posted October 10, 2007

I'm very disappointed with this school. My daughter is a student at Winton Middle School, and I'm not happy with the quality of education. The teachers appear overworked, and Principal Donald West seems to never be at the school. He has cancelled multiple appointments with me and whenever I go to the office, I am told he has either not shown up to school yet or is 'out.' I believe Winton is in need of better leadership.

Posted September 26, 2007

This school year has started out to be unsatisfactory. Half of my son's teachers are long term substitutes. Last year, two of his classes never had a permanent teacher. Many of the great teachers from previous years are now gone. My boy never comes home with homework because he says they don't do much in class.

Posted August 24, 2007

The campus has been newly repainted and there are new bulletin boards up to make the school look better. While Winton is looking better than it has in the past, it has its share of problems. However, I applaud the efforts of the parents. Most of the parents are working class working 12-14 hours a day, but they still manage help when they can.

Posted August 17, 2007

The teachers at Winton last year were amazing. Unfortunately, many of them will not be at Winton this year. I was disappointed with Donald West's leadership.

Posted August 9, 2007

My child will be starting his 8th grade year in August, and I'm hoping things changed since last year. The teachers at Winton went above and beyond to encourage the students to do the best that they possibly can. A number of teachers took the time to stay after school with my son to help him with his homework and assignments. I would encourage any other parents to find other alternatives.

Posted August 9, 2007

The teachers at Winton are great. They work hard for the kids. The principal, however, has not been very successful at this school. Winton was literally in chaos last year. Never in my life have I been so misinformed about school events, and when I would ask other parents or teachers they rarely knew themselves.

Posted May 24, 2007

'As of 2007, Donald West has been by far one of the worst principals. He is completely out of touch with our students and our community. We were greatly disappointed to find out that he has literally done nothing to prepare our kids for the Star Testing. The school is poorly run. Parents are frequently misinformed of important dates, or we are not informed until the day before.

This school's

+38

API Statewide Rank
(2012)

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met its schoolwide API target for 2013.
  • This school has not yet met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

1 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

58 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

284 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

228 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

234 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

261 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

26 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

282 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

263 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students41%

Parent education - high school graduate28%
Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)47%
Parent education - college graduate45%
Parent education - declined to state24%

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Studentsn/a
Femalesn/a
Malesn/a
Hispanic or Latinon/a
Economically disadvantagedn/a
Non-economically disadvantagedn/a
Students with disabilityn/a
Students with no reported disabilityn/a
English learnern/a

• George Porter
Fax number
  • (510) 733-9043

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

119 Winton Avenue