Crocker Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 493 students

Sweep tile

Posted April 27, 2013

Crocker is basically just a private school minus the tuition. AWESOME! Most of the teachers here are great, supportive and encouraging! Since all the students come from wealthy families, they are all polite and very considerate. There has never been a problem with bullying at all. Also, band and HTV programs are great experiences for a student (also look nice on a high-school resume!). 8th grade girls clog up bathrooms too much with their staring into mirrors. So much for "light" makeup. But overall, an amazing school!

Posted April 27, 2013

Before we moved to Hillsborough last summer, we heard about Crocker for its high quality education and legendary music program, but I was concerned about the stereotype of "spoiled, snobby, feeling entitled to everything" kids. After a year at Crocker, I can honestly say the concern is unfounded. If you are a parent who is thinking of moving to the town for the school, do it now... I'll summarize the school in the following five areas: (1) Excellent students: hard working, have great manners, competitive but also collaborative, very funny, and seemly less grown-up than kids at other schools (2) Great administrative staff: have vision and drive, great at communication (3) Teacher qualities vary, substitute teacher qualities are highly questionable (4) The music program, especially the bands, are superb (5) Parents can be divided into three groups: the passionate, the "do my part", and the "don't do much at all". The annual donation rate (~80%) is lower than one would expect from a private school (>95%).

Posted November 29, 2011

I wrote earlier, I think it's crazy what other students say. The science program is great. Everyone has a chance to participate. I know some other students who almost never pay attention in class and who always talk during class so never know what to do in the labs. The P.E. program is also good. I hate excersise and health class but I hate it because I just don't like running in general and I'm really bad. The teachers don't make you feel bad about it though, they encourage you and congradulate you when you get a faster time. In English we do alot of interactive stuff. We learn how to do projects with others. Honestly, no offence but I'm acing math. The reason others are failing is because they talk too much during class, never do their homework (or copy someone elses), and never studies. Their more interested in their social life and their bf/gf. If they put even the slightest bit of effort, it's easy, not easy as in the teachers are not challenging us, but easy in the sense that I have a great, cool, interesting teacher. I've almost have never seen bullying, like I've probobly seen it, just can't remember because the students are really sweet and awesome.

Posted April 21, 2011

well i am currently a 6th grade student at crocker middle school and i suppose everything you people said about it is true. I mean we are kind of spoiled but we still get to learn in a good environment. At least we wont grow up to be uncivilized. Well the only bad thing since this is my first year was that 8th graders were doing trouble. Overall this a pretty good school.

Posted December 29, 2010

Although this school has many amazing traits, there is one big problem: the students have no idea about what the real world is like. Hillsborough is one of the most affluent towns in the country, and therefore, the students are spoiled and ignorant. For those who are going to attend a public high school, they will be completely shocked. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with being wealthy, but it is a problem if you only know what the most perfect place in the world is like. Crocker shelters their students a lot but over all, it is still a good school.

Posted November 16, 2010

Crocker's academics aren't soo great like people say it is. First off, the science department is ABSOLUTELY horrible. Take it from a girl who goes here! they leave us to do lab work on our own. I have a friend who is failing math. Second, my math teacher is horible. I don't want to point out names, but it's the truth. the p.e. department is horrible too. we have it every other day, and we barely run, and if we do, it counts heavily on my grade. last year i couldn't get one A in p.e. and i tried my hardest on that! the english program is really lacking as well. I really don't like it here. i feel like i'm enclosed in a small little bubble at this school. I have been repeatedly bullied (cyber bullying and verbal) and the vice principal and counselor barely did anything about it. sure, they did talk with me and the other people involved but they never put a serious stop to it. since it is small but not TOO small, everyone knows each other and if you are not "in crowd" then consider yourself unlucky. i can't wait to get out of here. i think it all depends on the teachers you have here. u CAN have a great experience here at crocker- you just need a thick face and a fake smile.

Posted October 17, 2010

Like a private school except free (for the most part). Teachers and students alike demonstrate motivation towards the benevolence of the school. best school i could've asked for as far I'm concerned

Posted July 23, 2010

I just graduated from Crocker and I had an overall great time. I learned so much and had great friends, but the problem is it's really soft. Almost like they're too sweet and always have a pillow under you, which didn't help going into high school. Most of the teachers were exceptional, but the math and science departments weren't so great. Overall the school is amazing and I was so blessed to have been able to have gone there.

Posted October 12, 2009

I am an eighth grader at crocker school and The education is great and for the most part crocker has very good teachers but I feel the P.E. department is less than good and Im not a fan of the class schedules but my biggest complaint is the atmosphere the people here are extremely uptight and they put a lot of pressure on the students and I feel that if they were more relaxed my experience would be much better.

Posted August 20, 2009

I am a student here at Crocker- going into seventh grade. I rate it 4 stars. The teaching is pretty good... I agree with a lot of people that the science program is lacking and a few teachers are lacking as well. It is hard to fit into the school because of the strange diversity at Crocker. There are a lot of cliques as people say, but there are a lot of nice people. Its like being in a private school without paying.

Posted May 20, 2009

I love Crocker, and while many of the teachers are outstanding, there are a couple scattered around that are not the best, to say the least. Their science program was awful, also, but everything else was fantastic! I hated math at first, but by the end of my eighth grade year I loved it! Yes, there are some cliques, but many more nice people that outweigh the cliquey ones. Overall, a REALLY good, private-school-like-education without the price, it's just the science program and a few teachers that keep it from 5 stars.

Posted March 28, 2009

I'm an eighth grader at Crocker Middle School and I love all my teachers, classes, and the environment. Some schools it is considered cool to slack off, but at Crocker it's cool to do well. Socially it has been kind of hard, because of several different cliques. But in what middle school is that not the case? Overall I think Crocker is an amazing school and lots of my friends (including myself) have gotten into private high schools all over the bay area.

Posted November 26, 2008

This school has excellent technology and excellent education. If your child goes here, they will most likely excell in the future. The reason why I give this school 3 stars is because if you do not live in the Hillsborough bubble, and if your family is less than perfect, your child most likely have a hard time fitting in with students. Sure, they will have friends, but none that understand where they are coming from. Crocker educates it students so well, but the one category is misses is how normal people live, and how to accept them.

Posted August 6, 2008

Outstanding school. Just had an eighth grader graduate and now I have a 6th grader coming in. I'm impressed with the knowledge my oldest came away with.

Posted April 18, 2008

Great School. Great teachers. The only thing that prevents us from giving five stars is the administration. The principal lets a few rich parent s run the school. Ms. Chun is not so much a leader as a liason between the richest parents and the school board.

Posted August 30, 2007

I love Crocker. Mrs Jaldelrad, Mrs.Torello, and Mrs. Rodrick are great teachers!

Posted March 12, 2007

We have been blown away by our experiences at Crocker. The principal, teachers and administration are top-notch. The lunch time programs have something for everyone. The math program is exceptional. HTV is the gem of the school. I know my child is known by the staff and that they have my child's best interests at heart. The after school sports program is mediocre compared with everything else.

Posted December 12, 2006

I go to Crocker, and I think its great here. We have a lot of activities, and our classes are actually interesting. The teachers are understanding, and if there are any problems you can just go see Mrs. Camarillo, the counsellor, Mrs. Sullivan, VP, or Mrs. Chun, Principal for help. We also have many extra activities for talents or specialties like debate club, knitting club, drama, and Oasis. Oasis is a recourse to help with homework incase you're unable to to get it done at home that day. homework center is after school, and that is in the library with computers, lads of books, text books, and a teacher supervisor to help. The sports are great, too. We have golf, lacrosse, basketball(girls) basketball(boys), volleyball, flag football, track, cross country, tennis, baminton, hockey, and soccer. All in all, I really like Crocker.

Posted March 21, 2006

Very involved parents, strong school leadership, ample programs due to volunteer fundraising, great school

Posted February 2, 2006

Great programs. These are the best teachers I have ever met, and I've been a teacher for over 20 years. The only thing missing is orchestra and vocal music.

This school's

(2012)

10 / 10

9 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

10 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

9 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

168 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

170 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

88 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

196 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

109 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

95 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

158 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

13 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

51 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

159 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

159 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students94%

Fluent-English proficient and English only91%
Parent education - college graduate85%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate96%
Parent education - declined to staten/a

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students38%
Femalesn/a
Malesn/a
Asiann/a
White (not Hispanic)n/a
Non-economically disadvantaged33%
Students with disabilityn/a
Students with no reported disabilityn/a
Fluent-English proficient and English only38%
Parent education - college graduaten/a
Parent education - graduate school/post graduaten/a

Geometry

Parent education - college graduate92%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate93%

Asian 29% 11%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

2600 Ralston Avenue