749 students|Hollister

Bad
Good

Posted August 26, 2014
Today I went to pick my daughter up from school at 2:10pm. Upsetting to find that "No One" had notified me that my daughter had been Injured. I asked the teacher in charge of dismissal today, "What had happened to my child?" She stated, "I'm not sure because I'm covering for her teacher..." No communication between staff was a total down fall. I then went to the office to ask the Office Staff, what their policy was on Children getting Injured?..... They explained briefly that my daughter had been seen by the Nurse and if she needed to notify me she would have... Mind you upon speaking with the Nurse she stated, "I was going to give you a call, but then somehow I got busy...." THIS IS THE BEGINNING OF THE YEAR AND NO COMPASSION FROM SCHOOL STAFF, NEED TO UPDATE SCHOOL POLICIES.. AND THEIR SHOULD BE NO EXCUSE!!!! ALL PARENTS MUST BE NOTIFIED ASAP!!!!!

Sunnyslope Elementary School 5

Posted September 18, 2013
The Principal and staff are very hands on with the kids. They know the children by name and parental involvement is a key factor in this schools success. The school's faculty is well versed in how to teach all kinds of students, not just the perfect student. They encourage parental involvement in the child's learning process. The teachers communicate will with parents regarding their children's achievement's as well as area's they thinks the child needs a little extra attention.

Posted August 13, 2013
The school has it variety of teachers according to what I hear from diffenrent parents. I do like that they all care about their students especially the teacher our kid has. She is even willing to volunteer her time after school without pay to help those kids that are stuggling and behind the rest of the class. I give this school base on this one teacher a 5 star. Overall a 4 star.

Posted April 30, 2013
My child has been attending Sunnyslope for 2 years and now it's time to transfer him to another school. The staff look bored and annoyed the principal has poor communication and so do some teachers. His Kindergarten teacher was great but this year his first grade teacher can't handle him or the other children. When you work on the a green card system and you have to give the entire classroom red cards then I think their might be another problem. I have been a preschool teacher for 7 years and never have I had to redirect my whole class for misbehaving. I have also picked up my son and listened to him talk about bullies. One day he even hide from his after school teacher because he said another boy was chasing him and telling him that he was going to beat him up. I send my child to school to be educated not bullied. My son is very smart and has scored in the 90% percentile for all state tests and is very bored at this school.

Sunnyslope Elementary School 2

Posted April 25, 2013
I have had my children in four different schools since they have been of school age.. I have NEVER dealt with such a sour staff.. I have yet to see ONE person in the office smile or direct any attention to you AT ALL.. I placed a call to the principal twice and never received a call back. In watching the principal, I have noticed that he tends to spend most of his time talking to the parents whose children participate in the city sports. ( As he does himself.) It is his JOB to be the liaison between the parents and the teacher.. He does not do a very good job at that. Time to stop trying to be in with the cool kids and talk to everyone Mr. principal. Office people, try slapping a smile on your face every now and again, I don't really care if you hate you job, you chose it, so stop making everyone else DREAD going in there. The cafeteria REALLY needs to work on their policies, I have heard of several children being sent to the office for no lunch money. State law requires you feed the child. Period. deal with the parents, don't send kids to the office for things they have no control over. The only good thing I can say about that school, is Mr. Lange is an EXCELLENT teacher.!

Posted April 20, 2010
I believe if you work in schools you should enjoy working with kids not just work for the money. Some Of the people that work in this school are just not fit for the role to inspire , teach And most of all make our children feel safe.

Posted April 18, 2009
I have been teaching at Sunnyslope School for 35 years. In those years, I have seen many principals and teachers come and go. All of the teachers that I have known have been hard working and dedicated to their students needs. Teachers are always learning and trying new and better teaching and methods. I have always worked at Sunnyslope because of the dedicated staff. A goal for all teachers is to keep their students engaged and motivated to learn, especially during these difficult challenges in education today. Teachers who show respect to their students in and out of the classroom, in turn get respect from their students. I see this at Sunnyslope School. I have many fond memories of this school.

Posted February 27, 2007
Instead of trying to bring ESL students to a higher level, the 'English as a native language' children are being left behind. This in turn causes the children to act out because they are BORED. The teachers, principal and vice-principal are more concerned about covering themselves rather than making sure the children are safe. I have witnessed that the older kids, those in grades higher than kindergarten, are not very well watched over, making it easy for them to harass the younger kids with no one even noticing.

Posted August 30, 2006
All three of my kids went to SunnySlope, 2 still do. For the most part the teachers are great, always a few exceptions and a parent should know who they are and avoid them. The Principal and office staff are involved and proactively improving the school. More parent involvement in the students learning experience is always key. In last 6 years I have seen the school do better to handle it's problems and raise the bar for learning in their students. The School is definitely on the right track, but still has room for improvement. I am much happier with my kids in this school than I will be with the other schools in the community. My kids always felt safe and enjoyed their time in this school.

Posted November 08, 2005
My two kids go here and I have always been happy with the teachers. Once they get to 4th grade the schools get bigger. More parent help is needed.

Sunnyslope Elementary School
1475 Memorial Drive, Hollister, CA  95023-5007
Last modified Sunnyslope Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sunnyslope Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top