Helen Bernstein High School 4

Posted May 26, 2013
I have been a teacher at Helen Bernstein High School since it first opened. The school has come a long way since its first year, and I'm proud to be a part of such a dynamic team. My fellow teachers are hard-working professionals who really care about challenging the students, and preparing them to succeed in college. I continue to be impressed with the character and abilities of our students. I have always found that young people are willing and eager to work hard when the teachers engage their interest and respect and acknowledge each student's unique gifts. I have taught at other schools, both public and private, but I have found such a warm and positive community at HBHS that I am here to stay.

Posted December 03, 2012
I am a former student of Helen Bernstein High School, and I would have to say that this school is not worth sending your child to. When I entered college, I was behind from all my peers in my courses because their high schools had much more competitive academics than this school ever had for me. Your child will be put in a classroom environment that does not challenge them and not benefit them for college. However, I would say that the STEM academy is probably the best choice if you have to send your kids to this school because they are doing well and are still progressing. The teachers in STEM work with the students and challenges them based on their past achievements and improvements. During my time in this school, I have seen drug deals, prostitution, gang crime, and many more both during school hours and non school hours but still on campus. Be very careful when sending your child to this school. It may have improved since the few years I left that place, but I highly doubt in little time.

Posted January 31, 2011
Well as former Helen Bernstein Hs student i really dont think hbhs is a good school because the school is full of bad influence people that do drugs and drink. I just think that the staff that work there should be more alert about what the students are doing. I also think when there is a class of 45 students at once it is hard to learn i think the average class should have aleast 28 not more or not less. I was at a class that wasfull it is not a good thing. Now i attend Glendale High it is a way better school beccause i thing the school has a better environment for the students and the staff and the rating of the school says it all GHS test socers r above average that means GHS has better students and students that want to suceed. HBHS has good students but the students in general r not that good.

Helen Bernstein High School 4

Posted October 24, 2010
Look i am a student in AME academy i have nothing to complain about this school because well this school is great as i have witnessed the only bad academy is APEX academy thats the worse!!!! It is full of trouble theres many fights there and lots of students affiliated with gangs there its the worse academy there is in the bernstein complex. Since i am a student in ame academy i love it the teachers always are commited to helping there students they stay after school to tutor the students, on their on time, they help you in case ur in danger of failing, there are the best teachers in my opinion they think of the students first always and how they can help them improve. This year i have seen my academy get closer much closer i am very proud to be in ame.

Helen Bernstein High School 5

Posted August 30, 2010
the teachers are good but the principal is not ...i could say not into the job or something or does not have much experience running a school

Helen Bernstein High School 3

Posted August 22, 2010
In regards to the teacher who seems to imply that school is fine. Well receiving first place in the Engineering games may be something to be proud of, but you have to consider the rest of the school. The overall appearance and performance, STEM may have shown progress, but please account for the other SLCs. I am a student from the school and there are a lot of things I can personally say that are improper. A lot having to do with students who just don't care about their futures, etc. As stated from the parent who had left and earlier review "There are no consequences for students' actions, and the students know it. They show up late, are truant, and some are very defiant. The administration does very little about this. This school needs a lot of help. The students, who do want to learn, are very frustrated or want"

Helen Bernstein High School 1

Posted June 25, 2010
Stem is the only good SLC, as I witnessed, AME and BTLR students are just smokers, drinkers, and teens in gangs. DONT send your child to this school unless you get them in stem. Please take my advice and spare your child!!

Helen Bernstein High School 5

Posted May 18, 2010
HBHS took the best teachers from the local schools and developed great programs. This school won 1st place in the Engineering games this year for the entire city of LA. Over 90% of its graduating seniors are college-bound. A handful of students are all-city top athletes. The school is a model for project based learning, and teachers and administrators from schools all around come to observe what's being done right. Several teachers and students have achieved national recognition for the work they are doing here, and are continuing to do. What more do you want from a school?

Posted April 14, 2010
I can understand the frustration of the parent that just wrote a review before me. For a school in only its second year, there are many flaws with the building design that simply will not change and the physical and degradation, though mostly cosmetic, would make many justifiably concerned about the the presence of gangs. I think it's important to remember that public schools don't intend for the growth and prosperity of gangs. Just the opposite it true. I agree that consequences for poor academic performance, poor attendance, and behavioral misconduct are not what everyone would like. Maybe too many issues seem to be glaringly ignored. I do not think this is willful on the part of the administration. They are only using the tools they have been limited by the laws and regulations. Give back public schools the right to deny admittance, like private , magnet, and charter schools.

Helen Bernstein High School 1

Posted April 13, 2010
I just found out about this website today. There is a reason we have a 3. This school is terrible. Our fairly new building is being destroyed every day by students such as gang tagging and destruction of furniture, doors, etc. There are no consequences for students' actions, and the students know it. They show up late, are truant, and some are very defiant. The administration does very little about this. This school needs a lot of help. The students, who do want to learn, are very frustrated or want to leave as do the teachers who care about their students' education. There is way too much incompetency and apathy at that campus with no guidance or support. Will we have to wait until something else bad happens before action is taken?

Helen Bernstein High School
1309 North Wilton Place, Hollywood, CA  90028
Last modified Helen Bernstein High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Helen Bernstein High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top