No rating

Grace Lutheran School

Private | K-8 | 207 students

Living in Huntington Beach

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $500,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,850.

Posted March 7, 2013

I am a former public school teacher, having taught for 12 years, and have been very active in my children's education. I moved my two children to Grace 4 years ago from public school when my oldest was going into 4th, my youngest into 2nd. I was concerned about budget cutbacks and larger class sizes, and wanted my children to have more opportunities, like Spanish and Music instruction, as well as having them get a strong spiritual foundation. I have been very pleased with the quality of their teachers, and the level of academics. One thing Grace really is able to offer children is more life experiences. They typically go on 4-5 field trips a year, plus starting in 4th grade go away to Science camp, which has been a favorite for both of my kids. The small size of the school, makes it seem more like a family, where everyone knows and looks out for each other. The teachers really care and are using the latest technology to get children excited about learning. I sincerely question some of the bad reviews on this site, I really wonder if they were from former Grace parents. Please go see for yourself, and don't let such negativity scare you away!

Posted August 8, 2012

I was really surprised by some of the posts on this site. This school was an amazing and a wonderful experience for my two children. We have been here since Kindergarten. My son went straight into the honors program in high school and was well prepared for the classes. When my daughter had math issues the teacher would stay after school to tutor her so that she would be confident in her studies. The administrative staff was positive and helpful and would take the time to listen to my needs and help me through any issues I had. You should visit the school yourself and don't make a decision based on the negative reviews on this site.

Posted July 25, 2012

Very unhappy. This is a school for the average child. If your child is bright, it's a miserable place for learning. Curriculum is rigid. Teaching a child who can read the ABC's for months on end is painful. When asked for enrichment, you're handed worksheets. Instead of cherishing each child's unique gifts, they are forced in a box to be average so they don't hurt other kids feelings by being ahead. In a way it explains why bullying is a problem. It comes from the top on down to the kids.

Posted May 31, 2012

I couldn't disagree more with the May 21 and March 17 posts. Yes, Grace has had to deal with bullying issues, but show me a school, public or private, that doesn't. Bullying is everywhere. My child's attended more elite private school and bullying was prevalent there as well. What sets Grace apart is how swiftly they react. Don't be fooled by the negative posts mentioned earlier. Grace very much cares and supports the individual and whole child. Management at Grace will work hand-in-hand with parents in giving their child/children the support they need. There isn't any other school more suited for my child. The academics are spot on and rival that of the elite private school in HB. Does Grace have all the perks of more elite schools? No, because they don't have the monetary influence either, but the academics are there. If you're looking to keep your child out of the public schools, much smaller class sizes, strong academics, then Grace is the place. It's what we parents like to call Huntingon Beach's best kept secret. As any parent should do, question what you read and research for yourself.

Posted May 21, 2012

This is the worst management I have ever seen in the lutheran community starting from Pastor Chris all the way to the school management. Think twice before going there. I am glad my kid is moving out.

Posted February 7, 2012

Excellent school, check it out if you are looking for a place for your children from 2 years old to 8th grade.

Posted December 28, 2011

I disagree with the September 15 post, my two children attended Grace from preschool - 8th grade and both entered honors classes at Marina High School. My children were academically challenged by the curriculum and by the faculty and classwork was always available when they were absent. Don't believe everything you read.

Posted September 15, 2011

My child used to attend this school but did not improve anything for math and reading. It was too easy for my child. My child changed school to other now very high level and teachers are very happy and if my child misses school, teacher prepares worksheets as a homework. Grace Lutheran teacher never done it. I do not agree that finishing the text book is okay for the child has high level ,maybe good for child that can not catch up. It is not worth to pay that much tuition for that level at Grace Lutheran.

Posted June 22, 2011

We love Grace, please take a look at our school if you are looking for a school that looks at the whole child.

Posted June 20, 2011

I don't think I was a parent with unrealistic expectations. At Grace we had a teacher who had minimal expectations and who gave the least amount of effort.

Posted June 11, 2011

Love Love Love this school. Christ-centered environment teaching fruits of the spirit and other things you won't learn in public school. Varied curriculum - even for Kindergarten! Computer lab, Spanish (for all), art and music -- basically all the things public schools have done away with - Grace offers them here.

Posted April 30, 2011

Grace school has been very cooperative with my child's learning habits. My seventh grader was more advanced in her math habits so they allowed her to transfer into algebra where due to true excellent teachers, she maintains am a in the class. This school really shows a lot of dedication to their students.

Posted March 29, 2011

This is my children's 2nd year at Grace and we couldn't be happier. They attended public school for a few years, but we decided to move them to Grace when the class sizes started getting big. I was a public school teacher for 12 years and I've volunteered in their classrooms, both in public school and at Grace, and the kids at Grace are definitely doing more difficult projects and are following the same state curriculum as OVSD.My kids love the music and art programs and I love all of the wonderful field trips, the fact that they are learning Spanish, and most importantly that they are getting a Christ-centered education. The small class sizes (which continue in Middle School) allow for more personal attention and really help the students to develop a close bond with their teachers. Don't just read reviews, some of which may be negatively biased, but come check the school out for yourself if you are looking for your child to be more than a number.

Posted February 15, 2011

My son has attended Grace since preschool and is now in the middle school. I cannot say enough positive things about the school. A new administrator came on board four or five years ago and the school has gotten better and better each year. I encourage everyone to look into sending their children to Grace. You can't go wrong.

Posted September 16, 2010

My daugther is in kindergarten at Grace and we are thrilled! She is in a class of under 20 kids compared to my neighbors who go to the public school with 30 kids in a class. The love and nurturing she is getting is priceless!

Posted August 31, 2010

I've been reading some of these reviews and I do not understand why this school still has a 4 star rating. The best staff whom are qualified to lead and be and be with the students are shut away in menial jobs while the current administration, in my case, dismissed my concerns and barley spoke to my child in three years. Academically, I really saw a decline after the youngest primary grades. My daughter had a lot of free class time while her teacher corrected the many tests (most of which I was unable to help her prep for because of poor communication with the teacher). There was not even one person in charge of chapel after they dismissed the children's pastor. Morale was low all the way around on campus and I could feel it as could my daughter and husband. bullying was NOT addressed and was a problem. :(

Posted July 21, 2010

Grace is a safe, nurturing, challenging & Christ-centered community of learning. Our children have been enrolled at Grace for over six years & we couldn't be more thankful! We appreciate the commitment of the teaching staff, the transparency & follow through of the administrative leadership & the overall feeling of family that permeates the school. Smaller classrooms, enrichment in arts, music & athletics, wonderful field trips & inspirational chapel services--Grace has got it all! We cannot relate to the experiences or perceptions the more recent reviews on this site. Frankly we were shocked by the mean-spirited nature of the comments. Indeed, Grace has had some turnover in the last two years--but it has been change for the better and in interests of ever improving the quality of the school. Please read "between the lines" on some of these negative posts. They do not speak for the majority of families at Grace!

Posted July 12, 2010

Run, don't walk to another school. The education is average -- when you aren't worried about who is watching and teaching your child. My child spent more time one on one with other kids parents than one on one with the teacher. The poor teachers at this school - no support at all from administration, no quality on going education. Music education was ludicrous - my child spent a lot of time laying on carpets listening (and falling asleep) while her music teacher played farmville and her classroom teacher talked to bill collectors during class. All the kids learned to dance to her ringtones. NICE for $500 a month.

Posted July 11, 2010

Grace has changed over the years. Used to feel like an extension of church, a ministry. Now it's like a business; very transparent that they want your money. Agree with nickel and dime comment. As for education, my kids were mostly prepared to move on to higher grades but nothing out of the ordinary. And one child with mild problems couldn't get the little extra help needed despite the "resource specialist" (whatever that was!) whose position has changed. Middle school is a train wreck; teachers changing every year for the past few years. Primary grades are much better; no real complaints there. Main problem for me was bad behavior of problem students is tolerated too much. Too many non-Christian familes/students. Despite written standards and discipline system, not enforced. Felt more like public school than "Christian" school. If you're looking for strong conservative values or edge to exceed in HS, go elsewhere.

Posted May 25, 2010

Grace offered my child a great primary education. When she moved into a higher grade that required more rigor, I was scared at her lack of ability to grapple with text in a deep and meaningful way which necessitated the use of academic language. She was not nurtured by her teacher any longer. Rather, she was told that she was old enough to so things on her own now (age 8). I felt like I was not considered as a partner in my child's education. Meanwhile, major topics of study were sent home as projects for me to teach. I felt like I had to homeschool every night. Since I moved my child to public school, she is much happier. She has a larger social circle. Students receive awards each month. There is something to be said for standards and being "in the world, but not of it."

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • WASC Accredited (2005)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

School start time
  • 8:15
School end time
  • 2:45
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Mrs. Jennifer Petry
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Evangelical lutheran church in america
Associations

• Library

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
  • Parents serve as advisors and para educators. they give 30 hours or more a year to enriching our program.