No rating

Leport Schools - Huntington Harbor

Private | K-3 | 21 students

We equip your child with Knowledge for Life

Living in Huntington Beach

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $500,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,850.

School Official Point of View

Posted September 1, 2012

Thank you to the parent who brought to our attention the security concerns with clipboards outside the building. In the past, clipboards were hung outside the building during morning drop-off and the mid-day and afternoon main pickup periods. During this time, a staff members is generally outside the building near the clipboards, greeting parents and welcoming children to school. Nevertheless, going forward, we are relocating the clipboards inside the office during drop-off and pick-up periods as well. We hope this addresses this parents concern. As for foreign language: starting September 2012, we are offering full Spanish immersion Montessori toddler and preschool programs for children ages 18 months - 6 years. To our knowledge, this is the only Montessori immersion preschool program in all of Orange County, and we are very excited to enable our young students to become fluent in a foreign language at a time when it is basically effortless for them.

Posted April 23, 2012

We were looking specifically for a Montessori school in the area for our child. Our son started at LePort School Huntington Harbor right before he turned 2 years of age. Under Mrs. Chung s teaching in pre-primary class, we witnessed such growth in his social, fine motor and language skills. He has developed a strong sense of independence, curiosity, and a joyful enthusiasm for learning. Our son is now in Primary Class with Ms. Heckendorn (who is also great) and is thriving. He is excited to go to school each day and continues develop successfully. The school is clean and well-equipped. They have also have a vegetable garden on campus, which is fun and educational for the kids. Mrs. Ashgar, the head teacher, is very present, patient, and responsive. Communication with parents is very good. Parents are updated weekly as to school events and announcements. We highly recommend Leport.

Posted March 22, 2012

My son started LePort when he was 19 mos old and he is now a little more than 2yrs old. At first, he cried when I dropped him off and it broke my heart but soon he was running to class to see his teachers and new friends. Ms. Hattery, Ms. Kamori, Ms. Chen along with the Day Care teachers, Ms. Alfonso, Ms. Lopez (and many other teachers) have created a wonderfully warm and caring environment for my son to grow emotionally and intellectually. He has bonded with his classmates and engages with the Montessori lessons. It's truly wonderful to know he is learning and growing in positive ways all day .

Posted March 12, 2012

It's important to remember that the Montessori system does not work for every child. Our child did not excel in this school based on various factors. A major issue being the lack of disciplinary techniques. I don't think it's fair to 3-5 year olds to expect them to self-manage their own behavior. At that age they need strong guidelines and teachers who follow through consistently. Also, if you have a child with a very strong personality - this may not be the right school for them.

Posted March 3, 2012

We are so pleased that we chose LePort for our son! As a Montessori child myself and with a mom who owns a Montessori school in Northern CA, we had very high expectations. The teachers and staff have been wonderful and it's obvious that they have a passion for what they do.The school sends out a weekly email and is very good with communicating with the parents. It amazes me at the independence my 2 year old has gained over the past 7 months and how he has blossomed since being enrolled at LePort. I have nothing but great things to say about this school, and would highly recommend it!

Posted January 5, 2012

My 6 year old son has attended LePort Montessori Huntington Beach for a year, since we moved from out of state. I was very concerned about how he would transition into this Montessori school, but I was pleasantly surprised that he blended right in and has been thriving ever since. I am thrilled that he enjoys his time in the classroom and aftercare program. His individuality and natural curiosity are nurtured and encouraged by wonderful teachers who understand that learning should be a fun experience for children. My son is gaining an amazing scholastic foundation and he is also learning critical thinking, concentration, self-motivation and an understanding of teamwork and community involvement. He will carry these skills with him throughout his life, in education and into other spheres, and that is a comforting thought as a parent. To the fabulous LePort Huntington Beach teachers and staff - thank you!

Posted December 13, 2011

I am very grateful to have found LePort School. My daughter, who just turned 5, has been attending for only 4 months and I have seen a tremendous growth in her reading, math and verbal skills. Her teacher, Ms. Heckendorn is a wonderful, patient and caring individual who pays close attention to detail. She took the time to listen to all my concerns and works with my daughter to help her master the skills that I expect her to reach. The headmaster Ms. Asghar and her staff are a pleasure to work with; they are always available by phone, email or in person. The first week that my daughter started school I called the office several times to ask how she was doing and they were always happy to go to the classroom, check on her and report back to me. Additionally, the school offers many opportunities for parent involvement, they have a no sugar policy and have several extracurricular activities that are available after-school. My daughter is enrolled in ceramics and art, both of which she really enjoys. When I pick her up she usually doesn't want to leave.

Posted December 12, 2011

My three kids attend LePort at the Huntington Beach campus and I could not be thankful enough with the staff and teachers for their dedication on providing a nurturing and safe environment where my kids can learn and grow. I am so happy to see each and every day how exciting they are to start a new day of work. They have become more independent and successful and that feeling of confidence and satisfaction shows in every aspect.

Posted December 2, 2011

My daughter has been attending LePort Montessori since April of this year. She absolutely loves it. The children are engaged and the caregivers are nurturing. They focus on responsibility and care of the child's environment from an early age. Our daughter was always inquisitive and curious and LePort has been a great fit. I've had the opportunity recently to observe my daughter's class and I am impressed. Her room was fun, educational, and orderly. We couldn't say better things about their preprimary program.

Posted November 29, 2011

My son went to two other Montessori before this one. This school is definitely the best one we have seen. My son loves his friends and teachers.

Posted November 17, 2011

"Since enrolling our son at LePort (he's been there for about a year now in Mrs. Chung s Pre Primary class), we have witnessed his cognitive skills and confidence grow dramatically. While we are busy at work, he is learning wonderful skills and behavior which he later demonstrates at home (he puts away the dishes and so much more!). Every day we drop him off, he is bursting with energy and excitement to be at school. All the staff members at LePort are very warm, friendly, and helpful. Mrs. Chung (primary teacher) and all her assistant teachers have wonderful attitudes and are so supportive of our son. We are so lucky to have found this school. We love LePort!"

Posted November 9, 2011

We had visited Montessori schools for more than a year looking for the perfect fit for our daughter and had her enrolled in one for a few months only to realize that, like many of the others, it was not true to the Montessori philosophy. Our first visit to Le Porte Montessori in Huntington Beach was an experience for which we had been searching! The Director s compassion, professionalism, and dedication to the students was so evident and we knew that our daughter would just thrive in their care. We have been a Le Port Montessori family for 8 months and our first impression could not have been more correct. Before our eyes, our daughter is developing into an independent, confident, and compassionate human being and we know without a doubt that Le Porte is our partner in her growth and success.

Posted October 12, 2011

As an owner of a Montessori school in Roseville I was relegated to find a quality Montessori school in the Long Beach area for my grandson. After visiting 7 Montessori schools I was very disappointed at the quality and unfriendliness of the schools and staff . I looked further afield, and found LePort Montessori in Huntington Beach. What a difference, finally what I was looking for: a true Montessori school, with a warm, friendly and knowledgeable staff and classrooms filled with quality Montessori materials. They did not know my background and treated me with dignity and respect, explaining the Montessori Philosophy in a professional manner. They encouraged my questions and eagerly answered them. They are extremely accommodating to working parents and my grandson and his parents were able to visit on a Saturday. They too felt the same warmth and saw the qualities I had mentioned. Our grandson has immensely enjoyed his school since August 2011 and although he is 20 months old now is already very independent, social and has learned so much. Thank you LePort Montessori for upholding to true Montessori standards. Anne Binder

Posted October 10, 2011

My two-year-old daughter and I took an 8-week session at LePort Montessori HB this past summer. It was fun, very educational and affordable. The session was 90 minutes with parent participation. Fatima Askar was our teacher for the session and she was wonderful. She was kind and patient with the children, teaching them important life lessons in such a gentle way. I can only speak for me as a parent, but she taught me as well...to slow down a bit more and reminded me to be even more present with my daughter. This school allows children to learn and grow in a safe environment, while having fun as well. I highly recommend LePort Montessori HB and my daughter and I have signed on for the Fall session.

Posted September 27, 2011

My daughter has been attending Leport Montessori for a little over a year now. We have been thrilled with her progress at school. She has learned to read with a great deal of fluency, she paints maps of continents, she works with hands-on materials to learn math, and so much more. Her teacher is nurturing and communicates often with us. I have all the confidence that she is being well cared for and that she is learning so much when she is at school. We have decided to keep her at Leport for Kindergarten even though our public school is highly rated. We were so pleased with Leport that we tried the Mommy and Me program for our youngest daughter over the summer. It was fantastic! What a great introduction to Montessori. She has just started attending the pre-primary classroom at Leport, and she is having great success. Thank you Leport!

Posted September 26, 2011

My son was 20 months old when we enrolled in the Mommy and Me class. We learned so much from this experience. It was invaluable to observe, interact, and learn from the other mommy's and the teachers. He is talking more, becoming more independent, and exploring more. We were so pleased with results that we enrolled him for the Fall school

Posted August 31, 2011

I highly recommend this school to all parents. The teachers and staff are so warm and caring. It is hard enough to have to drop your child off at school every morning, but I am always at ease once we arrive at school because I see how much our son loves and enjoys his teacher and classmates at Le Port and I know he is in great hands.

Posted August 8, 2011

My 2 1/2 yr old has been going to this school since May.....AND SHE LOVES IT !!!!!!! As parents, we are so glad we decided to put here in this school. My daughter has learned so much in the short period of time she's been here. The teachers are all great and really care for my daughter like their own. The school is very clean and run very professionally. They also keep the parents involved with father/mother days.I went to the father day with my daughter and we had a blast . You also get to talk with the teachers and get feedback on your child's progress/learning. Also the weekly E-Mails letting you know what's going on at the school is refreshing. Our daughter was previously at another Montessori and this one is SO MUCH BETTER. As a parent, you want to have a piece of mind that your daughter is learning and being taken care of. When we drop her off in the morning, we know that's what she's getting. I would definitely recommend this school to any parent looking for a great school for their child.

Posted July 1, 2011

My son attended leport HB since he was 2yrs. What makes Leport special is their respect for the individual. My son not only learned to respect his teachers but also his classmates. The parents there welcome us French and Peruvian as if we were born in the USA. I trust the Leport teachers with academics but also with good discipline. Leport encourages healthy eating habits and is super clean my child got sick only twice in 5 yrs. ALL the teachers are warm and most improtant of all sincere. I LOVE Leport. I wish it could expand to 8th grade soon.

Posted June 16, 2011

Our 7 year old daughter has attended the Huntington Beach campus of LePort Montessori for 4 years now. She started in a primary classroom learning academics, social skills, as well as independence and confidence. When our daughter reached the age of 5 , we determined with the school staff that she was ready to move to the elementary classroom. The elementary classroom is comprised of 6, 7 and 8 year olds, and the head teacher is Miss Bonazza. Miss Bonazza is an outstanding and gifted teacher, and she is the reason we make a long commute to the school each day. Every single day each child gets personalized attention and work. Miss Bonazza nurtures when needed, encourages during the challenges, and shares in each child s excitement with accomplished work. The older children are often given the opportunity to assist in teaching the younger children work which results in an ideal environment for each child to learn leadership skills. The combination of all of these positives is the fact that our daughter looks forward to going to school every day.

Posted June 14, 2011

My son has attended Le Port for 3 years. He spent his first year in the pre k program. By the end of this year he was reading the scholastic 3 letter word books. He knew all his colors, continents, and numbers to 100. He started his kindergarden year and exceeded all my expectations. Before the end of the fall semester his teacher and the school administrators approached us about moving him in to the elementary class after the winter break. He is leaving the school this year knowing how to write in cursive, having a strong understanding of geometry, long division, multiplication tables, and addition and subtraction. He is reading chapter books and has an understanding of the differences between nouns, pronouns, verbs, and adjectives. I believe that Ms. Bonazza has given him an excellent foundation for his upcoming years of education. I highly recomend this school to anyone wanting to give their child a head start for their educational career. The entire staff does an exceptional job and truly cares about each and every student.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students None
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Language learning

School start time
  • 7:00 am
School end time
  • 6:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Mrs. Wendy DeCosta
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • Infant
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• LePort Curriculum
  • Montessori
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

Staff resources available to students
Foreign languages spoken by staff

Music
Performing arts
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights