Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)

Develops character: Strongly agree

It's their thing. They emphasize it almost daily how the children need to respect one another. Bullying is a big thing that they absolutely do not tolerate.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

All of the teachers there are amazing. My daughter will never forget her second grade teacher as he is still referred to as her hero. She adores him.

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

They give a good amount of homework. I wouldn't say too much. I don't think it's ever too much. They definitely know what they are doing.

This is by far the best elementary school that I have come into contact with in the Orange County area or ever. I had kind of a situation where I needed to pull my daughter out of another district due to lack of follow through with her school principal regarding bullying and other issues that certainly needed to be addressed. The bullying was my main concern. Bottom line, i attended a panel to push to get her out of that district and into fv school district. It took some fighting but I did it. I wish my daughter would have began kindergarten at OKA being she attended preschool at the boys and girls club of Huntington valley and most of her closest friends were going to be attending OKA. But unfortunately we were not in the district. We moved, I got her approved to start at OKA last year around beginning of October. So she left the home school we were at and started at OKA. On her first day attending when I picked her up, I have never seen my daughter so happy about school. It made me feel so good. Even though her best friend who she thought had still attended there actually just moved out of state she was still extremely happy about this school. I then started volonteering and realized that this school really is absolutely amazing. Her 2nd grade teacher, I can't even express in words how wonderful he is. She learned more in that classroom than anywhere else. He was and is an amazing teacher. The principal is an absolute treasure. He directs traffic after school to keep things safe. He cares so much about all the students. It's very obvious. My daughter is doing so well academically and even though I like to give myself some credit for this, I truly Thank OKA elementary and the whole staff including the wonderful staff in the office. They are a huge part of Okas success. I love this school and I love their teaching strategies and the principals goals for all the children there. I couldn't ask for anything to change.

Love this school and I couldn't find a better place. Great teacher...My son love this school.

I love this school. I think This is one of the best school in Huntington beach

My siblings and I attended this school when I was young. I remember having wonderful experiences here. When my daughter was of the appropriate age, I was very excited that she would also be attending! She has a teacher my brother and sister had when they attended. The teachers are all wonderful so far! Her Kindergarten teacher was possibly the nicest, warmest most involved teacher I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. The school has great activities! The principal is awesome! He is very hands on, approachable and involved. I am extremely proud to say that Oka is my daughter's home away from home. It is difficult to find so many excellent teachers in one facility! Oka could improve by bringing back the music program. I was extremely disappointed that the music teacher for our entire district was laid off due to budget cuts when we voted to give millions of additional dollars to our schools last year.

Our family loves Oka! We have had a positive relationship with each teacher my 3 children have been assigned to over the past 6 years. There are plenty of opportunities for bright children to shine and express themselves. The new principal has made efforts to communicate his style of leadership with parents and is obviously invested in the students' development and safety. He is friendly and supportive of my extroverted child. The class sizes are larger over the past 2 years then they were previously, however, my expectations of the teachers are being met. Our school has great programs available such as Best Foot Forward reading books every night, weekly homework packets in most classes, beginning band, advanced band, orchestra, singing music performances for the parents three times a year, Halloween dress-up, computer lab with ST Math, trimester awards and gpa awards, and library. Probably the best part of Oka though, is the staff in the office and the classrooms. The front office staff is the most effective and genuine administration I have ever experienced. I feel so lucky to have my children attending this fantastic school!

Our family has been with Oka through three children, and over 9 years. Oka is a great school if your student is average and can work independently. One of our three children has ADHD and with the maximum number of students per class, the learning environement for our child is overwhelmingly unsupportive. If your child has ADD, ADHD, or high functioning autism, then Oka is not a good environment for them. They don't have the staffing or funds to help your child succeed. I've found the PTO board to be unorganized, and the meetings are filled with little cat fights between the mothers. There is a huge lack of parent participation. Out of over 400 students, some PTO meetings only have 5 parents present. Once upon a time Oka was great, now it has taken a beating with the changes in the economy and spoiled teachers who are angry about their class sizes and refuse to put extra effort into children who might need alittle more direction. I even volunteer in the class to help alleviate some of the stress, but nothing positive has come from it. I am taking both my remaining children to a new school with a supportive staff.

I absolutely love Oka! My son transferred here when we moved & I couldn't ask for a better school.

Last modified Oka (Isojiro) Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.