Huntington Beach, CA
Before care: Yes

Posted September 16, 2013
My siblings and I attended this school when I was young. I remember having wonderful experiences here. When my daughter was of the appropriate age, I was very excited that she would also be attending! She has a teacher my brother and sister had when they attended. The teachers are all wonderful so far! Her Kindergarten teacher was possibly the nicest, warmest most involved teacher I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. The school has great activities! The principal is awesome! He is very hands on, approachable and involved. I am extremely proud to say that Oka is my daughter's home away from home. It is difficult to find so many excellent teachers in one facility! Oka could improve by bringing back the music program. I was extremely disappointed that the music teacher for our entire district was laid off due to budget cuts when we voted to give millions of additional dollars to our schools last year.

Posted February 29, 2012
Our family loves Oka! We have had a positive relationship with each teacher my 3 children have been assigned to over the past 6 years. There are plenty of opportunities for bright children to shine and express themselves. The new principal has made efforts to communicate his style of leadership with parents and is obviously invested in the students' development and safety. He is friendly and supportive of my extroverted child. The class sizes are larger over the past 2 years then they were previously, however, my expectations of the teachers are being met. Our school has great programs available such as Best Foot Forward reading books every night, weekly homework packets in most classes, beginning band, advanced band, orchestra, singing music performances for the parents three times a year, Halloween dress-up, computer lab with ST Math, trimester awards and gpa awards, and library. Probably the best part of Oka though, is the staff in the office and the classrooms. The front office staff is the most effective and genuine administration I have ever experienced. I feel so lucky to have my children attending this fantastic school!

Oka (Isojiro) Elementary School 1

Posted February 24, 2012
Our family has been with Oka through three children, and over 9 years. Oka is a great school if your student is average and can work independently. One of our three children has ADHD and with the maximum number of students per class, the learning environement for our child is overwhelmingly unsupportive. If your child has ADD, ADHD, or high functioning autism, then Oka is not a good environment for them. They don't have the staffing or funds to help your child succeed. I've found the PTO board to be unorganized, and the meetings are filled with little cat fights between the mothers. There is a huge lack of parent participation. Out of over 400 students, some PTO meetings only have 5 parents present. Once upon a time Oka was great, now it has taken a beating with the changes in the economy and spoiled teachers who are angry about their class sizes and refuse to put extra effort into children who might need alittle more direction. I even volunteer in the class to help alleviate some of the stress, but nothing positive has come from it. I am taking both my remaining children to a new school with a supportive staff.

Posted February 23, 2012
I absolutely love Oka! My son transferred here when we moved & I couldn't ask for a better school.

Posted January 24, 2012
awesome school, teachers, principal and education. Love the challenging academic programs they have at this school. Was worried about that after coming from a private school but I couldn't be more pleased with Oka. Their curriculum is on par with that of many private HB schools

Oka (Isojiro) Elementary School 4

Posted March 16, 2011
We like the principle. She watches the students outside of the office after school to make sure everybody gets a ride safe. She handles the students very well at the lunch table. She's not just sitting in the office, she acutually does her job not like other principles. It is a good size school. The ladies who works at the office are nice. One problem was this teacher. It seems she cares only (super) smart kids. She is like a robot, cares only their scores. She doesn't understand that everybody is different. She's a joke.

Posted January 04, 2011
We have had the best 6 years at Oka. I've had 3 of my children attend and all their teachers have been wonderful!!!! The principle is a hard working women who bends over backwards for the students. She isn't the friendliest but she gets the job done right and it shows.

Posted November 20, 2009
Oka School faculty has delivered outstanding amount of respect towards my children and myself. The teachers assigned to my children have utilized every opportunity to communicate positive and negative reports; also have exercised willingness to go the extra mile providing understandable, within comprehension assignments.

Posted September 16, 2009
My daughter has attended Oka since kindergarden & she is now in the 5th. The entire staff is wonderful, always attentive to each student. We have enjoyed all of her teachers & Mrs. Lioyd is an outstanding Principal. Not one complaint for the 5 years we have been part of the Oka family.

Oka (Isojiro) Elementary School 0

Posted May 21, 2009
This school is awful! dont send your child here all they worry about is school funding. Never do they care about your childs education!

Oka (Isojiro) Elementary School
9800 Yorktown Avenue, Huntington Beach, CA  92646
Last modified Oka (Isojiro) Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Oka (Isojiro) Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top