Huntington Beach, CA

Posted May 01, 2014
Hawes is a wonderful school! Teachers are dedicated, loving and involved in their students' lives outside of school. They work collaboratively within grade levels and ensure that learning is priority, but that FUN is necessary. Mrs. Jennings is a hands-on principal. I love that she is out and about on campus and talking with students. Her strong leadership has moved Hawes in the right direction. The PTA and parents are involved in making Hawes a more fun place to learn, a place where students' needs are met with new technology, resources, assemblies, the list goes on. The parents take pride in the school and invest their time, energy and money by supporting fundraisers. The only negative remark I have is for the RSP program. My child has shared with me that he is not getting the help he should be getting. The students in RSP need a stronger teacher who will implement research based practices. It should not only be a place for students to get extra help, but a place where they are taught strategies to help them be successful in school. The Hawes staff, students and families are truly special. Go HAWES HAWKS!

Posted September 22, 2013
Hawes is a fabulous school. The teachers at Hawes always go above and beyond. They make learning fun and truly care for their students. Our new principal is always out on the playground keeping the kids in line and discipline issues have diminished. We have a strong PTA that provides music, art, assemblies- even a new imac lab! But what really makes Hawes special is the sense of community at our school. The students have pride in themselves and their school.

Posted August 09, 2012
Great school. Some teachers (like every school) are better than others but the overall education is excellent. I have multiple children that have/are attending, all with different needs and personalities and all have been given the tools needed to succeed. The Principal is excellent and takes a real interest in each child. I hope the new Principal will be as good.

Posted June 23, 2012
If your child is doing "well" in school well then, of course, you couldn't understand why parents who have children that struggle are disappointed in Hawes. It's easy to teach kids who don't have difficulty in school. It's seems that many teachers at Hawes don't know how to help children that struggle in school. The RSP teacher needs to be held more accountable for her failure to follow the guidelines of the reading programs she is supposed to be implementing. There are so many resources that Hawes has to help kids in RSP but its to easy for the RSP teacher to say that she can't do anything more to help.

Posted April 17, 2012
After reading many of these reviews, I'm sad. I LOVE this school and I wish everyone had the same experiences as I have had at Hawes. I've got a 3rd grader whose been at Hawes since kindergarten. He does well in school and has made lots of friends. Yes, the class size has grown, but that is not the fault of the school and I think they handle the load as best as possible. All these "fees" that some have talked about give your children Music and Art and P.E. that the budget no longer covers.Sure, sometimes it seems like a lot, but without these programs the kids would be missing out on these wonderful opportunities. I suggest to those that are unhappy, visit the school. Volunteer to help out sometimes. Join the PTA. Your involvement in your childs education can only help the situation.

Ralph E. Hawes Elementary School 1

Posted April 16, 2012
If your child is in Rsp forget about them getting the help they need. My child started this school and he has gone down hill. The kids are bullys, and my childs teacher can care less about him. This is very sad, and my child is NOT getting the help he needs. The really sad part is that my child tells me that this school is not helping him compared to his old school, and this breaks my heart.

Ralph E. Hawes Elementary School 2

Posted February 15, 2012
The reason I chose to transfer my son into this school was because his preschool highly recommended it and a majority of the kids he graduated with would be going here and I wanted his transition to be comfortable. Turns out all the kids going to Hawes went to preppy k so that was a bummer! So the problem I'm having with this school is the asking for money constantly!! There is a fundraiser all the time and all of the extra curricular sports and activities are not budget friendly. Maybe I'm just out of touch with how much things cost. But when there is a letter sent home asking to help out the less fortunate families at your own school I was appalled!!! If you can't afford necessary items for your children and you live in this district you need to move! And what is considered "less fortunate"? I would never think to ask my child's school for money. Unbelievably tacky!! The parent involvement is a little bit too much also. Yes, it's nice to be able to help out but when mommy or daddy are constantly there how do you expect them to detach? And if you don't know parents from outside of school forget it. It's a shame to see parents who are not welcoming and in a clique In their 40's.

Posted February 10, 2012
Not sure how I feel about this school yet. My child is in kinder and is not doing as well as we had hoped. There being 29 kids in class, it's hard to get the attention a young person needs. Also, the communication lacks for sure. I am a working parent and I do everything I can do help and volunteer in class. I noticed that the other parents and students helping with the reading program aren't really keeping the kids on track. My own child's book reading was so out of order, I had to ask the question, who is teaching this child. I wish I could afford private school. And what is with there being no fence on the back of the school? That freaks me out every day, anyone could walk onto the campus at any time...and that is not a comforting feeling.

Posted November 17, 2011
I am not quite sure what the last reviewer was thinking....but they definitely were NOT talking about Hawes Elementary. This school is WONDERFUL! It all starts with a very caring and approachable principal, Mrs. Harvey, who has high standards for the kids and the teachers. The teachers are fabulous also....and you can't ask for better parent involvement and PTA. It is no surprise to me that greatschools.org rated this school a 10!!! Go Hawes Hawks!

Posted November 17, 2011
I have owned a house in the Park Huntington tract for almost 15 years. My wife and I obviously seriously considered sending our children to Hawes for school. I have left multiple messages for the principal to call me back. She never responded. And my wife spoke with other parents who said the Hawes staff act as if parents should be thankful their children can attend the school. We are fortunate to have another residence in a more parent (and student) friendly school district. Furthermore, if you look at many of the 5 star reviews, it is obvious the PTA encouraged parents to submit glowing reviews to boost the community rating. I should rate this 5 stars to boost home values, but I'll be neutral.

Ralph E. Hawes Elementary School
9682 Yellowstone Drive, Huntington Beach, CA  92646
Last modified Ralph E. Hawes Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ralph E. Hawes Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 97 reviews. Top